Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Struggles With Basic Christian Teaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Struggles With Basic Christian Teaching

(Don't know if this thread is in the right place, I'm leaving it to higher authority to decide.)

I'm a non-believer and don't have any particular opinion as to what Trump represents to Christians. But nevertheless would like to know what you think of Trump's performance at the annual National Prayer Breakfast.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...954?ri18n=true

Moments later, the president got the chance to share his thoughts out loud and he publicly wrestled with a core Christian teaching.

“Arthur, I don’t know if I agree with you,” Trump said as he took the microphone.

“As everybody knows, my family, our great country and your president have been put through a terrible ordeal by some very dishonest and corrupt people,” Trump said. “They have done everything possible to destroy us and, by so doing, very badly hurt our nation.”

The president lashed out at Utah Sen. Mitt Romney, who broke with his Republican colleagues on Wednesday by voting to convict Trump of abuse of power. The president attacked Romney for pointing to his faith as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to explain his vote.

“I don’t like people who use their faith as justification for doing what they know is wrong,” Trump said.

The president also seemed to take a jab at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), a Catholic who has said she often prays for Trump.

“Nor do I like people who say, ‘I pray for you,’ when they know that that’s not so,” Trump said.

Near the end of his speech, the president appeared to return to Brooks’ challenge to “love your enemies,” pointing out that religious people are sometimes guilty of hate.

“I’m sorry. I apologize. I’m trying to learn. It’s not easy. It’s not easy,” he said, prompting laughter in the audience. “When they impeach you for nothing, then you’re supposed to like them? It’s not easy, folks. I do my best.”

That comes across as someone being honest about their own feelings, weaknesses and failings. I'd be more concerned if he insincerely said he was praying regularly, 'with the love of God in his heart' for Pelosi et al.

I don't know anyone who manages to 100% live up to what Jesus taught. But I do know that Jesus called us to follow Him - it's a journey and an adventure, with all the ups and downs that come with that.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

IF Trump is a Christian - and I don't know if he is or not - he would be a NEW Christian. Mocking him for "struggling with basic Christian teachings" would be like mocking a 2 year old for not being able to read.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
        I'm a non-believer and don't have any particular opinion as to what Trump represents to Christians.
        To some, he's the devil incarnate. To others (like me), he's just the guy who happens to be president for now and will eventually be replaced by someone else who will probably be hated by those who affiliate themselves with the opposing party. Certainly nobody is looking to President Trump for spiritual guidance.

That said, any Christian who claims that he does not struggle with some aspect of his faith is a liar.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And, for the record, I really hate it that Trump brought politics into the National Prayer Breakfast like he did.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not comfortable with using the Prayer Breakfast for some of the rhetoric he used, but I think his closing apology was good. I'm actually surprised by it.

Frankly, I have to force myself to believe that Pelosi isn't lying when she says she prays for him (in any kind of good way).
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              I'm not comfortable with using the Prayer Breakfast for some of the rhetoric he used, but I think his closing apology was good. I'm actually surprised by it.

Frankly, I have to force myself to believe that Pelosi isn't lying when she says she prays for him (in any kind of good way).
              Yeah, I think her conduct, particularly of late, pretty much makes it difficult to believe she prays for him as the Bible instructs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                IF Trump is a Christian - and I don't know if he is or not - he would be a NEW Christian. Mocking him for "struggling with basic Christian teachings" would be like mocking a 2 year old for not being able to read.
                Trump is a chr-ino who will feign to be whatever you need him to be in order to gain power. I think you're all smart enough to know that, so why the feigning ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Trump is a chr-ino who will feign to be whatever you need him to be in order to gain power.
                  You're cute. I don't know if he's a Christian or not, Jim, but I never allowed that to be a basis for decisions I've made about him.

I think you're all smart enough to know that, so why the feigning ignorance.
                  And, once again, you suck at mind reading. Good thing you don't depend on it for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                    Trump is a chr-ino who will feign to be whatever you need him to be in order to gain power. I think you're all smart enough to know that, so why the feigning ignorance.
                    Leave the trolling to those like firstfloor who at least exhibit some intelligence and wit. You're not smart enough to pull it off.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      That he was a political chameleon was one of the biggest reasons I wouldn't support him. I simply don't trust him not to change yet again. That said he has remained pretty consistent.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        That he was a political chameleon was one of the biggest reasons I wouldn't support him. I simply don't trust him not to change yet again. That said he has remained pretty consistent.
                        So, so long as he remains a consistent lying, lawless, wannabe dictator, you'll continue to support him?

Comment

Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                          (Don't know if this thread is in the right place, I'm leaving it to higher authority to decide.)

I'm a non-believer and don't have any particular opinion as to what Trump represents to Christians. But nevertheless would like to know what you think of Trump's performance at the annual National Prayer Breakfast.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...954?ri18n=true
                          He might actually be open to the idea of 'loving your enemies', which is better than many professed Christians.
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                            He might actually be open to the idea of 'loving your enemies', which is better than many professed Christians.
                            Give one example of Trump loving his enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                              Give one example of Trump loving his enemies.
                              Since you can't read,

He might actually be open to the idea of 'loving your enemies',
                              No charge.
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment