Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is trump really only "self interested"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is trump really only "self interested"?

A poster (who coincidentally hails from the nether region where people hang from their ankles) made the comment:

Trump is not "decent and polite" to anyone who does not further his own interests.

Are there any counter examples?

Is the criteria, the dividing line in how Trump treats people, really based on his own interests (as opposed to the country's interests, or some ideological and principled interest)?

I think I'll get these out of the way ahead of time:
    Terminal TDS is the only explanation for this post.

No real Christian would dare post this

You hate mother hood, baseball, and apple pie (with milk!)

Hillary! Obama! AOC! Warren! (but not Andrew Yang, who is perhaps the dark horse candidate?)

The commie infestation of society has gone too far

For the sake of the discussion, I will concede all these points. But none of them really address the OP.

Comment

Trump is somewhat of an egomaniac. What person would run for POTUS who is not?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Trump is somewhat of an egomaniac. What person would run for POTUS who is not?
        Which, absent further elaboration, concedes the point mentioned in the OP that:

"Trump is not "decent and polite" to anyone who does not further his own interests."

Yes?
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I honestly don't know how Trump interacts with people on a daily basis, so it's impossible to answer the question. I know he comes down hard on those who have betrayed him politically, but that's business as usual in Washington. Literally every politician does it.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I honestly don't know how Trump interacts with people on a daily basis, so it's impossible to answer the question. I know he comes down hard on those who have betrayed him politically, but that's business as usual in Washington. Literally every politician does it.
            I dont know why you would not know. There are plenty of examples, and they are not by any means limited to politics.

OTOH, the statement is universal, so there are bound to be exceptions of one sort or another. But ample evidence exist to support it is an accurate generalization of his interactions with others.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Which, absent further elaboration, concedes the point mentioned in the OP that:

"Trump is not "decent and polite" to anyone who does not further his own interests."

Yes?
              It's one of Trump's many faults, but I think it's not accurate to limit it to "anyone who does not further his own interests".

He's a brawler, and obviously doesn't like opposition.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                It's one of Trump's many faults, but I think it's not accurate to limit it to "anyone who does not further his own interests".

He's a brawler, and obviously doesn't like opposition.
                How would you contrast that with Reagan or Bill Clinton?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                  How would you contrast that with Reagan or Bill Clinton?
                  I wouldn't.

Comment

Anybody notice that the OP asked for any counter examples.

Does anybody have even an anecdotal story about Trump acting altruistically, at any point in his life?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I honestly don't know how Trump interacts with people on a daily basis, so it's impossible to answer the question.
                      The classic question in the business world would be "how does he treat the janitor". I have no idea.

Comment