tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Paid family Leave?

https://www.crisismagazine.com/2020/...isan-concensus

Three proposed plans to fund paid leave (we currently have unpaid leave):

1.) use retirement funds (like IRA); does not use any new tax, but it draws on monies needed for retiremnt

2.) Medicare type funding, a 0.2% tax to create a general fund, but can also be used to care for sick relatives. A direct tax increase.

3.) a plan to allow parents to 'borrow" from the child tax credit (there is a child tax credit which is a type of payment, not a deduction) and then pay it back in yearly installments through a reduced child tax credit. (take 5,000 now, receive 1,000 bucks less for five years)

I am not sure that one can briefly summarize any complex idea in a single line without "misrepresenting" it in some way. However, I do think it possible to discuss it, even though the OP may be imperfectly written. I doubt anyone really wants to read a 5,000 word OP which manages to accurately represent the bills which no one will read. I did try to accurately portray the substance of the bills, as well as the pluses and minuses.

Here is one article on it. https://www.crisismagazine.com/2020/...isan-concensus

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When our first child was born my wife was working at a university in Sydney. She received a full year paid maternity leave and another year of unpaid leave which she took. That was fully paid by the University.

I received one month paid paternity leave which was paid by the government and two months paid by my employer.

Itís pretty good here in Australia.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As someone who has had to use FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) twice in the last 5 years (personal medical issues) I think the current system is pretty good. Basically the FMLA guarantees that the company can't fire you for having to take off up to 3 months from work. Most companies will offer a short and long term disability leave that coincides with the FMLA to pay you while you are out. That is how the company I work for handles it. The short term disability is handled by the company and the long term (which kicks in after 3 months) is paid for through insurance. of course by the time the long term kicks in the FMLA runs out and the company can replace you. But at least in my case, the disability will pay 60% of my salary until I reach 65. And as it is disability, I believe is tax free so that means the 60% is pretty close to my take home pay. Haven't had to use that yet. Plus if you were permanently disabled you could also get social security disability.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why should the government interfere in and regulate the labour market? Why not let it be a free market?
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Why should the government interfere in and regulate the labour market? Why not let it be a free market?
    Is the free market al effective in arriving at just decisions?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Why shouldn't it be, when there's the magical invisible hand?
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Pay is given for work done. Why should there be pay when no work is done?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    How the heck did we manage all these years without it...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    How the heck did we manage all these years without it...
    So why do we need protections against child labour and this FMLA?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My ungenerous nature does not agree with anyone having to pay for other people having children.