Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paid family Leave?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esther View Post
    My ungenerous nature does not agree with anyone having to pay for other people having children.
    I even begrudge the neighbour's their screaming children that they visit on me!! A very high price to pay for their decision to be fruitful and multiply.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esther View Post
    I even begrudge the neighbour's their screaming children that they visit on me!! A very high price to pay for their decision to be fruitful and multiply.
    How many ultimately view children, and by extension, life, as a burden, an expense, an inappropriate use of funds?

How many see spending on families and children as part of the common good?

Many families find the financial constraints to be the insurmountable barrier to life and being open to children. So is it a political issue, of balanced budget and political goals, or a religious issue of openness to life?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    How many ultimately view children, and by extension, life, as a burden, an expense, an inappropriate use of funds?

How many see spending on families and children as part of the common good?

Many families find the financial constraints to be the insurmountable barrier to life and being open to children. So is it a political issue, of balanced budget and political goals, or a religious issue of openness to life?
    It's a personal issue.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It's a personal issue.
    ???

Viewing children as a burden and an expense is a personal issue? Those are one root cause for abortions!

Getting an abortion is also a personal issue, but that argument is rejected by many Christians. Yes, I believe abortion is a personal issue, but also one which the Church has much to say. And I do believe that the laws on permissive abortion are a catastrophe.

Openness to life is not the same as "quiverfull".

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ???

Viewing children as a burden and an expense is a personal issue? Those are one root cause for abortions!

Getting an abortion is also a personal issue, but that argument is rejected by many Christians. Yes, I believe abortion is a personal issue, but also one which the Church has much to say. And I do believe that the laws on permissive abortion are a catastrophe.

Whether to have children or not is a personal issue. Whether you kill those that are already alive is not.

Whether a couple decides to have children or not, and for what reasons is none of anyone's business. If they feel having children would be a burden then they shouldn't have them. It's their decision. Raising children is a huge responsibility.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ???

Why do you need the government to negotiate your work benefits?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here is government "support" for family leave gone completely haywire. This is ridiculous.

Finland's Women-Led Government Has Equalized Family Leave: 7 Months For Each Parent

Finland's government, led by 34-year-old Prime Minister Sanna Marin, has announced a new policy that will grant nearly seven months of paid leave to each parent, for a total of 14 months of paid leave. The pregnant parent also can receive one month of pregnancy allowance even before the parental leave starts.

Parents will be permitted to transfer 69 days from their own quota to the other parent. A single parent will have access to the allowance for both parents.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/05/80305...e=facebook.com

Over a year's worth of paid leave? Nuts. By that time they could have another kid, then another, and never have to go back to work and still get paid.

From the same story:

Sweden has Europe's most generous leave policy, offering 240 days per parent. Many of those days can be transferred to the other parent, but 90 of them cannot. That means that families wanting to maximize the leave would both take significant time off.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Why do you need the government to negotiate your work benefits?
    Not sure what you mean by that. The government negotiates many things in our lives.

In fact I demand the government negotiate several policies about abortion which have the enthusiastic support of pro life groups.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Whether to have children or not is a personal issue. Whether you kill those that are already alive is not.

Whether a couple decides to have children or not, and for what reasons is none of anyone's business. If they feel having children would be a burden then they shouldn't have them. It's their decision. Raising children is a huge responsibility.
    There is a culture of life, and a culture of death. I take it you don't see a problem with today's culture of death as long as it stops short of of actually killing, because you post as if that is what you believe.

The culture of death is not pro life at all, even if one refrains from abortions.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not sure what you mean by that. The government negotiates many things in our lives.

In fact I demand the government negotiate several policies about abortion which have the enthusiastic support of pro life groups.
    And what does that have to do with work benefits? If a company wants the best and brightest, they will adjust their work benefits to give them that edge.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy