Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 68 of 68

Thread: Paid family Leave?

  1. #61
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,948
    Amen (Given)
    5248
    Amen (Received)
    22982
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    I never said that at all. What I have said is the government should keep itself out of setting standard, across the board, benefits (in most cases) and should allow employees and employers freedom to choose what benefits they prefer. As an employer, the government needs to set up a military and needs to compete with other employers to attract the talents they desire. Military service is difficult, ask people to give up lots of freedoms, and this requires something to get someone to sign that dotted line. In this case, benefits because they canít really offer things you get in regular jobs. Do you get overtime? Per regulation, I have to only be given 6 hours of rest, per day and donít get a penny more, no matter how many hours I work. Would OSHA allow your employer to do that? Would labor unions agree to that? Thatís the cost and why the benefits are so generous because who would agree to that stuff without some benefit? Did you pick your current job, based on the provided benefits? Have you turned down jobs, due to the benefits not being what you wanted? Thatís what I mean, you should have the freedom and flexibility to pick what you want.



    And if you want it great, but not everyone seeks the most benefits because their situation is different. An Uber driver might have a full time job and just wants the extra cash. A Walmart door greeter may be retired and just does his job for something to do. Yet a wife might have great benefits through her husband and doesnít care much about the benefits of her job. Everyone should be able to work in the way they choose. Some like the security of a 9-5 job others like the flexibility of being a contractor, let them both work the way they choose.



    Maybe, but it should be your choice to make.
    Then the government should do the same with social security and unemployment, right?

    In fact, the military should drop all those benefits we tax payers are paying for because not all of the members of the military will use them or even want them. If you want healthcare, you should just pay for insurance like everyone else. If you want to go to college, just pay for it like everyone else. Housing allowance? Pay for your own home or live in a barracks.

  2. #62
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10,615
    Amen (Given)
    1546
    Amen (Received)
    3473
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Then the government should do the same with social security and unemployment, right?
    SSI is a political football that keeps getting kicked down the road, that will sooner or later need to be addressed. I personally would love to be able to manage the money I currently put into SSI. Wouldnít you?

    In fact, the military should drop all those benefits we tax payers are paying for because not all of the members of the military will use them or even want them. If you want healthcare, you should just pay for insurance like everyone else. If you want to go to college, just pay for it like everyone else. Housing allowance? Pay for your own home or live in a barracks.
    Good luck getting anyone to join unless you raise pay, by a lot, and totally restructure the military rank structure, to pay for it all.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  3. #63
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,948
    Amen (Given)
    5248
    Amen (Received)
    22982
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    SSI is a political football that keeps getting kicked down the road, that will sooner or later need to be addressed. I personally would love to be able to manage the money I currently put into SSI. Wouldnít you?



    Good luck getting anyone to join unless you raise pay, by a lot, and totally restructure the military rank structure, to pay for it all.
    It was just an extension of your plan for civilian employees. I guess your idea stinks when you actually apply it to yourself, huh?

  4. #64
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10,615
    Amen (Given)
    1546
    Amen (Received)
    3473
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It was just an extension of your plan for civilian employees. I guess your idea stinks when you actually apply it to yourself, huh?
    Not at all, just saying:

    Pay would have to increase to meet the market on job responsibilities.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  5. #65
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,948
    Amen (Given)
    5248
    Amen (Received)
    22982
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Not at all, just saying:

    Pay would have to increase to meet the market on job responsibilities.
    What does that even mean?

  6. #66
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10,615
    Amen (Given)
    1546
    Amen (Received)
    3473
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    What does that even mean?
    Simply put,

    What does the CEO of Walmart make?
    What does the Chief of Staff, for one of the military service branches make?

    Civilian pay is often many times higher, for the same responsibilities. I would be roughly a maintenance manager, which according to indeed is around 82,000 a year, with some companies paying over 100k and that isnít counting benefits either. So sure, I love that idea and lots of people would too.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  7. #67
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,948
    Amen (Given)
    5248
    Amen (Received)
    22982
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Simply put,

    What does the CEO of Walmart make?
    What does the Chief of Staff, for one of the military service branches make?

    Civilian pay is often many times higher, for the same responsibilities. I would be roughly a maintenance manager, which according to indeed is around 82,000 a year, with some companies paying over 100k and that isnít counting benefits either. So sure, I love that idea and lots of people would too.
    Then go find a new job. That's your prerogative. As soon as your enlistment is up, you can leave. What does that have to do with the discussion? You seem to be drifting all over the place.

    Why is it wrong for the government to require companies to do certain things to protect an employees job in case they are sick? Especially if it costs the taxpayer nothing and the employer very little.

    Your argument that not everyone would want it is silly. Why would you not want to be paid if you were out sick for 3 months? And your argument that not everyone needs it is also silly. You never know when you could end up with an illness or be in an accident.

  8. #68
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10,615
    Amen (Given)
    1546
    Amen (Received)
    3473
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Then go find a new job. That's your prerogative. As soon as your enlistment is up, you can leave. What does that have to do with the discussion? You seem to be drifting all over the place.

    Why is it wrong for the government to require companies to do certain things to protect an employees job in case they are sick? Especially if it costs the taxpayer nothing and the employer very little.

    Your argument that not everyone would want it is silly. Why would you not want to be paid if you were out sick for 3 months? And your argument that not everyone needs it is also silly. You never know when you could end up with an illness or be in an accident.
    The argument I have made is:

    Companies should be free to pick their benefits they want to give and they need good ones, if they want the best workforce.

    Thatís it, youíre the one that seems to be adding more to this than is required. Your tangent about the military is just a tangent, but the same thing applies, if the military wants to attract the best talent, it needs to find a way to do it and does this through benefits.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 02-13-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •