Richard Rohr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Rohr

Some members of my church including the Pastor love Richard Rohr.

I don't know anything about him and don't know where to start finding out.

Do any of you know what he believes or have an opinion of him and his teachings?

Thanks.

A simple search brings this up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rohr

There's probably more out there.

Looks like he's good with the LGBT community, which in my opinion negates anything else good he might have to say.

I guess it depends whether you are Catholic and/or liberal at your church. If not, I would certainly question anyone in a Protestant conservative movement following him.
    Last edited by mossrose; 02-09-2020, 09:58 AM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      A simple search brings this up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rohr

There's probably more out there.

Looks like he's good with the LGBT community, which in my opinion negates anything else good he might have to say.

I guess it depends whether you are Catholic and/or liberal at your church. If not, I would certainly question anyone in a Protestant conservative movement following him.
      Thanks. I found this:

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/r...-richard-rohr/

Comment

Here's another article about issues with Rohr.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/r...-divine-dance/

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Here's another article about issues with Rohr.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/r...-divine-dance/

Comment

Not-so-closeted liberal theology, 'sin is not the Big Problem'. Nothing new or remarkable here.

Atonement is central to Scripture, and anyone trying to downplay that with dumb English wordplay should be automatically suspect.
            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
              Not-so-closeted liberal theology, 'sin is not the Big Problem'. Nothing new or remarkable here.

Atonement is central to Scripture, and anyone trying to downplay that with dumb English wordplay should be automatically suspect.
              I judged the article heresy. Wonder what these people do with this:

Matthew 20:28 - '.. The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                I judged the article heresy.
                Yes, your pastor loves a heretic despite the obvious heresy. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Comment

He's not even Christian, if this quoting of his book is accurate.

I personally do not believe that Jesus came to found a separate religion as much as he came to present a universal message of vulnerability and foundational unity that is necessary for all religions, the human soul, and history itself to survive.https://www.catholic.com/qa/a-primer-on-richard-rohr
                  Prepare for the worst.

Comment

As I said in my previous post, Rohr lost me at his stance on homosexuality. Everything else he says about anything else is suspect.

Looks like he likes to make up new terms and ideas about salvation, which is indeed heresy.

Comment

He's not even Christian, if this quoting of his book is accurate.

Prepare for the worst.
                      I agree with this from your link:

Jesus Christ does indeed love all and thus died for all, but the true unity he preaches requires a choice to accept or reject him and his Church, as he preached 2,000 years ago. The Christ whom Rohr preaches is not the authentic Jesus, and his related proclamation of the gospel is not the one that that the Church has proclaimed and safeguarded for 2,000 years with the power of Holy Spirit. As a result, Rohr remains an unreliable and spiritually dangerous guide for Catholic and non-Catholic alike.

Comment

Yes, your pastor loves a heretic despite the obvious heresy. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
                        And the church I attend is promoting Universalism promoting Rob Bell's book "Love Wins."

How does a church lose its way this way?

Comment

And the church I attend is promoting Universalism promoting Rob Bell's book "Love Wins."

The church today, aside from a few that stay with the word of God as their final authority, is so busy trying to get butts in the pews that they have resorted to marketing themselves. And in doing so, they fall prey to heretical books and false teachers because it's easier to do talking points from somebody's book than to actually open the truth's of God from scripture.

We actually watched this video this morning that speaks a great deal to this issue.

It's very enlightening.

Comment

As human consciousness advances, more and more people cannot believe that God would . . .
                            That's a hard nope from me. Any time you hear a religious "authority"/thinker/leader/philosopher/whatever insert this phrase or something similar/equivalent into one of his writings/speeches/sermons it's a clear indication to stay as far away from them as possible, because they're about to peddle some unbiblical and heretical tripe. The only time hearing, or reading something like this would be ok is if it's in the context of someone quoting what someone else said, in order to refute it.

Comment

People want to be Nice. They don't want to talk about sin, and they don't want to say that Christ is the only Way.

Comment