Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fact-Checking Trump's SOTU Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yep. But the liberal fact checkers dismissed it as him just misspeaking and meaning "47" - how dare they? Everyone can tell what a bald-faced lie it was! Maybe I should start a web site dedicated to finding such lies that Obama told!

Oh wait, there already is one!

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...a&ruling=false
    But that's stoopid. How could that be a lie when it's so transparently wrong? People lie about things they think they can get some advantage from getting away with. Think hard, Trumpsters, think real hard!

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Characterizing the lies trump tells almost continuously as 'misspeaking' is itself a lie.
      I don't think Trump thinks about 'truth' the way normal people do. I believe he regards it as a malleable, transactional medium to help him get whatever he wants in a given situation. I'm not a psychiatrist, so I won't go any further than that!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
        I don't think Trump thinks about 'truth' the way normal people do. I believe he regards it as a malleable, transactional medium to help him get whatever he wants in a given situation. I'm not a psychiatrist, so I won't go any further than that!
        Don’t worry, when a democrat is back in power, you can keep clutching your pearls, while Democrats walk all over them because they don’t care about your archaic beliefs. Hey, at least Trump will no longer in the WH.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And lies usually are stuff whats people say!
          Wanna try that one again, Jim?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually, it is. Your predictions have to have some rational, credible basis; otherwise, they're just self-promotional puffery, ie the lies of a con artist. Otherwise a salesman can make any claim about his product's future predicted performance that he wants.
            Dumb, how do you know that Trump has no rational basis for that statement? For that policy measure some civil servant would have given him an estimate of the impact.

It's highly misleading, though. Statements can be false through implication and not necessarily overtly.
            Again, dumb. Trump used 'is being built', continuous tense, and of course you would build it where existing but weaker barriers are. Because those are historically the most problematic areas, the government already owns the land, etc.

You didn't respond to the other alleged falsehoods.
            Yes, it sufficed to show that 3 of the list were so dumb. There was no need to address all the rest.
            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Wanna try that one again, Jim?
              No way. I love that sentence structure!

"Lies are usually what's people say."

It's almost poetic.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Misspeaking is not lying, words coming out of Trumps mouth is lying.
                JimL, the point is that the other side always characterizes such things as lies. Trump speaks in generalities, and the media calls it a lie because if he said, "hundreds" and the actual number was 199 they would say he was lying. Those list of "Trump lies" are 90% stuff like that. Same with the Obama lists like the one I listed above. People are straining gnats. It's not a good look for either side. Makes them look petty and nobody takes anything they say seriously after that.

Comment

JimL, the point is that the other side always characterizes such things as lies. Trump speaks in generalities, and the media calls it a lie because if he said, "hundreds" and the actual number was 199 they would say he was lying. Those list of "Trump lies" are 90% stuff like that. Same with the Obama lists like the one I listed above. People are straining gnats. It's not a good look for either side. Makes them look petty and nobody takes anything they say seriously after that.
                  No Sparko, Trump lies just about everytime he opens his mouth. The SOTU address is a prime example.

Comment

No Sparko, Trump lies just about everytime he opens his mouth. The SOTU address is a prime example.
                    I know you believe that JimL, but it's not true. But then if you had any common sense and could tell a lie from the truth you wouldn't be an atheist.

Comment

I know you believe that JimL, but it's not true. But then if you had any common sense and could tell a lie from the truth you wouldn't be an atheist.
                      There's a point for my side.

Comment

There's a point for my side.
                        The only point is on top of your little head.

Comment

The only point is on top of your little head.
                          Common sense! I'm not the one who believes a man resurrected from death and ascended bodily like a rocketship into space on his way to heaven which apparently is place out there somewhere and that some day he will descend like a rocketship again from that place. If you're going to attack common sense, look first in the mirror.

Comment

Common sense! I'm not the one who believes a man resurrected from death and ascended bodily like a rocketship into space on his way to heaven which apparently is place out there somewhere and that some day he will descend like a rocketship again from that place. If you're going to attack common sense, look first in the mirror.
                            That's good because nobody else does either.

Comment