Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

List your Non-Biased News Sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    During the 2016 campaign season, I was finding it increasingly difficult to find stories on Google using even very specific search terms, and I wasn't sure why. Then all the stuff came out about Google hand curating their search engine to give preference to their own political views, so I switched to Duck Duck Go.
    I will try that out for a while. Thanks.

Comment

The difference between the two is significant.

"This is improper" implies an objective statement that is independent of personal opinion. "I believe this is improper" indicates a subjective statement that may or may not be grounded in fact.

Let's put it this way, in a debate, how would you respond to "You're wrong" versus "I believe you're wrong"?
      EGGzackly. When somebody uses "I believe....." rather than make the statement outright, I think it shows they're not really comfortable making the declaration. It's like leaving wiggle room in case you're proven wrong.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        I will try that out for a while. Thanks.
        The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't prioritize the search results chronologically... I have to click on the option to search for "most recent".

ddg search.jpg
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You don't follow Breitbart closely enough to judge whether or not their stories are factual, yet you're always quick to dismiss them as a source.

Interesting.
          And I gave you the reason why. Biased reporting is often not about whether they have presented falsehoods, it is about how they have presented the facts they use, and how they have omitted other critical facts, like you do so often in your own replies. Of what I have read from Breitbart, I have never seen them present the facts in any sort of balanced fashion. And I have seen them omit critical facts to make their case. So yes, I dismiss them as a credible source.

Speaking of that, why is it you are so incapable of dealing with the entirety of a reply or argument and must on a regular basis distort said reply or argument first? This is a regular practice of yours. It is one thing to snip away unrelated elements, quite another the change the character of even the meaning of the entire statement by editing. unfortunately, you regularly do the latter, as you did in the reply above.
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-10-2020, 09:22 AM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            EGGzackly. When somebody uses "I believe....." rather than make the statement outright, I think it shows they're not really comfortable making the declaration. It's like leaving wiggle room in case you're proven wrong.
            Vindman was well aware of this distinction during his testimony, too, because he (or rather his attorneys) refused to let him be pinned down as if he was stating a fact.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Biased reporting is often not about whether they have presented falsehoods, it is about how they have presented the facts the use, and how they have omitted other critical facts...
              But given your admitted unfamiliarity with Breitbart, how do you know if they're even guilty of this?

Comment

But given your admitted unfamiliarity with Breitbart, how do you know if they're even guilty of this?
                Because they frequently expose the lunacy of the left.

Comment

I can know it by what I have looked at from them, and by how their reporting of events differs from other sources. With a bias as strong as theirs is, it is not particularly hard to figure it out.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I can know it by what I have looked at from them, and by how their reporting of events differs from other sources. With a bias as strong as theirs is, it is not particularly hard to figure it out.
                    Sounds suspiciously like a case of confirmation bias.

Comment

Sounds suspiciously like a case of confirmation bias.
                      I'm sure it would ... to you.

Breitbart, in particular, is not even a legitimate news organisation any more than AIG or ICR are science organizations. It publishes information from a fixed ideology and to support that ideology. It is biased by definition.

I have no idea why I bothered to even waste time on any other means of defining why it is biased.

Legitimate news organizations report on significant events, ideally without trying to create an opinion about those events. Their success rate in terms of meeting that ideal is directly correlated with how biased their reporting is.

But something like Breitbart exists to create opinions about events, and to support a certain word view, not to report about events with the ideal of leaving opinion out of it.
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-10-2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I'm sure it would ... to you.
                        It does to any person thinks for themselves who looks at it Oxmix.
                        Last edited by RumTumTugger; 02-10-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                          It does to any thinking person who looks at it Oxmix.
                          Sorry RTT, that simply isn't true. Breitbart is neither a legitimate news organization nor unbiased. This is simply a fact. Only Young Earth Creationists think AIG or ICR have scientific legitimacy. Only very far right wing ideologues would even be tempted to call Breitbart a legitimate news source. It is what it is. An organization dedicated to supporting conservative ideology and reporting events of interest to conservative ideologues through the lens of very conservative ideology. That is not a legitimate news source. It might be interesting, it might even get a few things right. But it is not unbiased. And it is not a legitimate news organization in the sense of the BBC, CNN, NBC new, CBS news, or the NYT or WaPo or LAtimes etc. Juvenal probably has a more technically correct way of differentiating them, and if he wants to offer a more correct way of saying what I'm trying to say, I'd welcome his input. I'm not a journalist.

Comment

But something like Breitbart exists to create opinions about events, and to support a certain word view, not to report about events with the ideal of leaving opinion out of it.
                            You're right, it's obvious you don't follow Breitbart very closely.

Like any other news organization, some stories report the straight facts, while others lean more towards opinion and editorial. They've even been known to publish an AP story as is without additional commentary. In other words, they're not doing anything that CNN, the Washington Post, the New York Times, or any other news source doesn't do today... with the only exception that they've never been busted publishing fake news like CNN, the Washington Post, the New York Times...
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-10-2020, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I find it very difficult to find anything that is accepted as "non-biased" by the people on TWeb.

First of all, mocking a source as "biased" because you don't like the FACTS they show -- even if they included a video of somebody personally saying something, is just batpoop nutty.
                              Either the person SAID it, or they didn't, regardless of the source reporting it.

So, just curious if it's possible to list a couple sources that both liberals and conservatives or democrats and republicans, or whoever, thought were "non-biased".
                              You might as well ask Diogenes if you are looking for 'unbiased' in any pure sense. but I like BBC and the Associated Press, and an educated comparison of other news sources.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment