Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Black women leaving Warren's campaign.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black women leaving Warren's campaign.

Sen. Warren blames legacy of racism after six "women of color" quit her campaign

Posted by Gregory Hoyt | Feb 8, 2020 | Featured, Must Reads, News, Politics and Policing

DERRY, NH- “We quit.”

Not exactly good for optics for Elizabeth Warren.

The senator was in Derry, New Hampshire this past Thursday while issuing an apology after reports surfaced that six women of color decided to quit working for her campaign.

Six staffers had decided to part ways in Warren’s Nevada efforts after feeling a sense of tokenism and also dealing with a toxic work environment, according to Fox News.

During Warren’s apology for what was allegedly going on behind the scenes of her campaign, she stated the following:

“I believe these women completely and without reservation, and I apologize that they have had a bad experience on this campaign.”

The exodus of staffers started around November of last year, with three of them noting that they felt sidelined and that their issues were not being heard. This was allegedly despite bringing them to the attention of their superiors or to human resources, according to Politico.

Megan Lewis, who worked as a field organizer had joined Warren’s camp back in May of 2019, only stuck around until December. She detailed her disdain associated with working on the Warren campaign during those months:

“During the time I was employed with Nevada for Warren, there was definitely something wrong with the culture. I filed a complaint with HR, but the follow-up I received left me feeling as though I needed to make myself smaller or change who I was to fit into the office culture.”

Some other former staffers who fled Warren’s campaign wished to remain anonymous when they explained the unhealthy work environment. One of the unnamed field organizers felt that she had been introduced as a token for the campaign, simply “to literally bring color into the space but not the knowledge and voice that comes with it.”

The anonymous woman also added the following:

“We all were routinely silenced and not given a meaningful chance on the campaign. Complaints, comments, advice and grievances were met with an earnest shake of the head and progressive buzzwords but not much else.”
    Apparently, Warren had reiterated that apology on an interview with MSNBC. Naturally, instead of Warren noting that maybe she hired bad managers or HR personnel – she blamed the history of racism for her staffers wanting to leave her campaign.

Initially, her restated apology was opened with how she strives to make everyone feel included on her staff:

“I apologize personally that they had a bad experience on the campaign. I really work hard to try and build a campaign and a work environment where it’s diverse and open and everyone is welcomed and celebrated and gets to bring their whole self to work every day.”

Then, Warren took a left-turn from that previous sentiment. She then implied that people were leaving her staff because racism is being handed down like some kind of family heirloom:

“But I’m also aware that racism and oppression have left a long legacy. And it creates a toxicity where people, power structures, people take advantage of other people — it’s something for which we have to be constantly vigilant and constantly determined to do better.”

That was quite an interesting deflection, considering that Warren then added:

“I take responsibility for this and I’m working with my team to address these concerns.”

Well, that wasn’t at all confusing. First Warren says “sorry”, then she blames it essentially on racism being passed on like a family tradition, but then says she’s taking responsibility for this matter.

-----------------------------------------------------

So basically Warren acknowledges and takes responsibility for running a racist campaign.

I saw her doing this apology.... she's getting really good at faking sincerity in an incredibly fake way.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      So basically Warren acknowledges and takes responsibility for running a racist campaign.
      Sure seems that way.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment