Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden Losing His Grip on Sanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Biden Losing His Grip on Sanity

Joe Biden's campaign manager says this was "a joke". What kind of joke is it to challenge and call a supporter a liar?

The quote "lying dog-faced pony soldier" is reportedly from a John Wayne movie. I've probably seen every major Wayne movie at one time or another and I don't recall the quote. I doubt most people would recall it. So why quote something that no one is going to get, and then use it inappropriately?

I especially like the last line from Madison Moore in the article below (although I would have used the word "illustrates" rather than "exacerbates").

Biden calls voter a 'lying dog-faced pony soldier'
    AFPFebruary 10, 2020, 12:07 AM CST

Manchester (United States) (AFP) - Former US vice president Joe Biden drew criticism Sunday after he called a woman a "lying dog-faced pony soldier" at a campaign event in New Hampshire. In an exchange that was widely shared on social media, 21-year-old Georgia college student Madison Moore asked the presidential hopeful to explain his poor performance in the Iowa caucus last week.

"It's a good question," replied Biden, whose status as national frontrunner for the Democratic nomination was shaken by a damaging fourth-place showing in Iowa's caucuses. "Have you ever been to a caucus?" he asked the Mercer University student, who nodded. "No, you haven't," Biden said. "You're a lying, dog-faced pony soldier."

Biden's campaign press secretary Remi Yamamoto tweeted the comment was a joke: "It's from a John Wayne movie and he's made it plenty of times before."

But the remark still drew criticism online, with many Twitter users saying the remark was not funny. "If he can't handle a simple question from one of his own supporters, how can Joe Biden possibly take on Donald Trump one on one for six months?" tweeted Donald Trump Jr, the US president's son.

Moore told The Washington Post it was "totally irrelevant whether I've been to a caucus or not." "Joe Biden has been performing incredibly poorly in this race. His inability to answer a simple question from a nobody college student like me only exacerbates that reality," she said.

As a self-acknowledged Trump supporter, you probably don't want to go this route.. just sayin'.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      As a self-acknowledged Trump supporter, you probably don't want to go this route.. just sayin'.
      Trump has a lot of personality defects, but -IMO - incoherency isn't one of them.

Hey, I hope Biden wins the Democratic nomination (since Gabbard has no chance whatsoever). He is the lesser of evils, assuming he can keep his marbles together.

Comment

His press secretary said, "It's from a John Wayne movie and he's made it plenty of times before."

Is there any recorded instance of Biden using that phrase on a previous occasion?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          His press secretary said, "It's from a John Wayne movie and he's made it plenty of times before."

Is there any recorded instance of Biden using that phrase on a previous occasion?
          Pony solider? Back in the day when old Joe was an Indian fighter...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I think Joe is trying to hard to offset Trump's accusation of "Sleepy Joe" --- Joe is trying his best to show he's a tough guy and "still has it".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK I am going to say this is a non-story. If you watch the video (below) you can tell he IS joking by his tone and the audience laughing. But it still is not a good idea to call a member of the audience a liar, even jokingly. He want's their votes, right?

Comment

Actually, yes. I did a filtered search of "Biden" and "pony soldier" and found he used the phrase several times last year. And, interestingly, it was always mentioned by the media as being awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                  Actually, yes. I did a filtered search of "Biden" and "pony soldier" and found he used the phrase several times last year. And, interestingly, it was always mentioned by the media as being awkward.
                  And you really shouldn't call a woman "dog-faced" unless you want to be whooped.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    And you really shouldn't call a woman "dog-faced" unless you want to be whooped.
                    From the video, it seemed like the crowd was very friendly, and they laughed when he took off his coat like he was getting ready for a fight -- I think it was all good-natured kidding.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      OK I am going to say this is a non-story. If you watch the video (below) you can tell he IS joking by his tone and the audience laughing. But it still is not a good idea to call a member of the audience a liar, even jokingly. He want's their votes, right?
                      It wasn't my intention to say Biden was angry with Moore. My point is that he is continually weird and and getting more so as time goes on.

Yeah, it sounds like he is joking with her, or trying to joke with her, but I don't get the joke. Judging by her comments in the article she didn't get the joke either.

i.e. incoherent.

Comment

It wasn't my intention to say Biden was angry with Moore. My point is that he is continually weird and and getting more so as time goes on.

Yeah, it sounds like he is joking with her, or trying to joke with her, but I don't get the joke. Judging by her comments in the article she didn't get the joke either.

i.e. incoherent.
                        In that regard, I think Joe is "replaying old campaign moments", not realizing times have changed, and he doesn't really know his audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          From the video, it seemed like the crowd was very friendly, and they laughed when he took off his coat like he was getting ready for a fight -- I think it was all good-natured kidding.
                          The original clip I watched did not include the part with her saying she was going to be a little "mean" with her question, and him taking of his coat. That gives more context to his "pony soldier" remark, but it still doesn't answer why he called her a liar. And he did, because afterward he says "now you got to be honest, and I'm going to be honest with you..." Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            In that regard, I think Joe is "replaying old campaign moments", not realizing times have changed, and he doesn't really know his audience.
                            Even at his best he's never been good at ad-libbing (remember the "clean" black-man comment he gave Obama?) Now he's getting older and weirder and his wife is having to do a lot of the campaigning for him. He needs to stick to a script or risk getting his foot implanted so far in his mouth that he will choke.

Comment

...but it still doesn't answer why he called her a liar. And he did, because afterward he says "now you got to be honest, and I'm going to be honest with you..." Weird.
                              He had asked her if she has ever been to an Iowa Caucus, and it appears (though we can't see because it was off camera) she may have indicated she had, and he shot back "no you haven't".

I think she must have hesitated, and he caught her indecision.

Even that clip seems edited and put together from a number of segments, so, who knows?

Comment