Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Esther, Vashti complementarianism, and teaching from the bible.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Might want to check out Mossrose who always provides moving exhortations on real Christianity, for one, often including a complementarian message, if not the precise term.
    You mean she actually reflects a biblical view? I'm SHOCKED.

The me too thread, where it has been discussing at some length, if not deeply (ox mix tried, but did not succeed) discussed, was not started by me. Complementarianism is a frequent target of some within the church too movement, which is the religious alter ego of me too, so it does make sense that the discussion turned to that.
    Simp, it's like you try to find wedge issues, inflate their importance significantly (like you're trying to elevate SBC Resolutions to equal Scripture), and try to be divisive. I just don't wanna play.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

2. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    I can't recall ever seeing the book of Esther used to support male headship, FWIW.
    Naw, it's always been about faithfulness.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

4. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I just don't wanna play.
    Me neither. I'm done here.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Mark driscoll for one, though I wonder if the was "inspired" by the pushback, from feminist side of things, over his views on male headship and his interpretation of Esther.

There are few places in the bible which specifically uses that phrase, maybe it is the only one, I don't know.

One bad pig brought up a question about how do we something like that phrase for guidance, and he used an actual position of some Christians.
    Fair enough. I know who Mark Driscoll is but have never read or even really heard anything by him, so I suppose it could just be a matter of me not getting out much.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    One bad pig brought up a question about how do we something like that phrase for guidance, and he used an actual position of some Christians.
    Doubtful. I mean, "Judas went and hung himself" is not explicitly condemned in scripture.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Doubtful. I mean, "Judas went and hung himself" is not explicitly condemned in scripture.
    And Jesus said "go thou and do likewise!" (John 10:37), and
    "whatever you're about to do, do it quickly" (John 13:27).

10. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Naw, it's always been about faithfulness.
    Yes, it is always about faithfulness, except when it isn't. So maybe it is not always about faithfulness.

Christians have delved into esther to find all sorts of lessons, such as the role of the (submissive) wife in a Christian marriage, the utility of picking up the sword, etc.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The OP did ask three questions, whether we can find a biblical model for the household (which generally includes man and wife), if that view is an utter distortion of the text, and whether Esther is a model for purity.

From the comments made, I think that it can be said that the respondents don't think that Esther is where we look to find a biblical model for the household and that the argument is a misapplication of scripture.

Is Esther a model of purity?

I know, I know..... No Christian would ever do that, and that no real Christian would even bring that up for discussion......but Christians do bring up Esther as a model of purity and I am a Christian who is asking the question: Is Esther a model of purity?

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You mean she actually reflects a biblical view? I'm SHOCKED.
    *A* Biblical view, not *the* Biblical view.

Simp, it's like you try to find wedge issues, inflate their importance significantly (like you're trying to elevate SBC Resolutions to equal Scripture), and try to be divisive. I just don't wanna play.
    Yeah, I don't get it. It seems reminiscent of the things infidel trolls do.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

14. Amen Cow Poke, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    *A* Biblical view, not *the* Biblical view.

Yeah, I don't get it. It seems reminiscent of the things infidel trolls do.
    Interesting that you emphasized the difference between the definite article and the indefinite article, such small differences in English language can have a very big impact on the meaning. And it might even explain why some Christians are reformed, others Arminian, some Complementarian, some egalitarian. Is an "egalitarian" really Christian?

Each of my OPs here address real topics, often inspired by what Christians actually say on Tweb on the civics page. Seems that the ideas promoted on civics do not survive down here in the Christians only discussion.

But who is playing the role of the infidel troll? It is Christians here go to extreme lengths to avoid discussing any real ideas, diverting and distorting the actual points made, making sure that there is no discussion of the actual OP.

Maybe Tweb ought to offer a gold membership account! :)