Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 91

Thread: Was MLK a bible Christian?

  1. #71
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,052
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Because, like I said, I don't know his heart - only God knows that.



    You mean the comment that I made, and immediately modified when OBP made a good point?



    I'm unfamiliar with any of his writings where he expresses regret, sorrow, repentance or contrition for his moral failings. I thought I was pretty clear about that. If you are aware of any such reference, I'd be happy to see it. Meanwhile, like I very clearly have said -- I don't know.



    OR, it could simply be that I don't know!



    OR, it could simply be - like I said - that I don't know!
    You definitely implied an unrepentant heart, then OBP stated that we, on the outside looking in at a life, cannot know the heart; then you modified it to Seems to be an unfrepentant heart (I think you even present that in very large letters). Maybe you had forgotten about OBP's point.

    Your response about your abilities as a fruit inspector pointed to MLK in hell through your skillful use of the biblical passage; you inspected MLK's fruit, and you did not see good fruit. this was after OBP's interjection. Maybe you have read MLK, yet could not find anything fruitful there.

    Lot of ground between the not uncommon view of MLK as one of the great lights of the Christian faith and deserving of the fiery destruction.

    Yes, you don't know his heart, so you relied on your understanding of the Christian faith, applying it to what you do know about MLK: Starting with unrepentant sinner, seemingly unrepentant, then the worthless tree slated for fiery destruction. Yep, sounds like you don't know!

  2. #72
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,424
    Amen (Given)
    13032
    Amen (Received)
    27576
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    You definitely implied an unrepentant heart,
    I did.

    then OBP stated that we, on the outside looking in at a life, cannot know the heart;
    He did.

    then you modified it to Seems to be an unfrepentant heart
    I did.

    Your response about your abilities as a fruit inspector pointed to MLK in hell through your skillful use of the biblical passage;
    Actually, I was focusing on the "fruit inspector" part. The clue to that was my continual reference to the "fruit inspector" part. You're the one who latched onto the hell aspect, and assumed, evidently, that I was indicating MLK was or is in hell. I'll be very clear -- I don't think that.

    you inspected MLK's fruit, and you did not see good fruit.
    That would be your dishonest representation of my position.

    this was after OBP's interjection.
    I'm thankful for OBP's comment, after which I immediately modified my statement.

    Maybe you have read MLK, yet could not find anything fruitful there.
    More dishonest interpretation of my position. Here - lemme say it in really clear words for you --- MLK did a LOT OF GOOD STUFF. He even made a speech in Ferguson challenging blacks to do better, because they were responsible for far more crime than the population they represented. And I LOVED his emphasis on "content of character" rather than "color of skin". MLK did and said a LOT OF GOOD STUFF.

    Lot of ground between the not uncommon view of MLK as one of the great lights of the Christian faith and deserving of the fiery destruction.
    You could probably word that better, but I think you're still hung up on the false notion that I don't think MKL did good stuff.

    Yes, you don't know his heart, so you relied on your understanding of the Christian faith, applying it to what you do know about MLK: Starting with unrepentant sinner, seemingly unrepentant, then the worthless tree slated for fiery destruction. Yep, sounds like you don't know!
    Would you like to have a decent calm conversation, or would you like to continue spewing forth venom and sewing discord, Simp?

    Lemme try, once again, to break it down for you, though it will not surprise me that you'll come back yet again and distort my position.

    MLK was a very important figure in US History, did a LOT of very good and noble things, and wrote some incredible things (some of which, quite honestly, appear to be plagiarized) and preached some very good sermons.
    MLK had some glaring character faults.
    I'm not aware of anything MLK did or said or wrote to indicate that he acknowledged his sin (it is called sin, even if MLK did it).
    I do not KNOW, however, if MLK did, in fact, repent, express regret or remorse, or even acknowledge that he had sinned.

    I have no reason whatsoever to believe MLK is in hell, nor have I ever stated that he was or is.

    I'm beginning to think this is just a bunch of virtue signaling on your part, Simp.... this obsession of yours with looking at my posting and trying to find some dark or devious motive on my part.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  3. #73
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,052
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I did.



    He did.



    I did.



    Actually, I was focusing on the "fruit inspector" part. The clue to that was my continual reference to the "fruit inspector" part. You're the one who latched onto the hell aspect, and assumed, evidently, that I was indicating MLK was or is in hell. I'll be very clear -- I don't think that.



    That would be your dishonest representation of my position.



    I'm thankful for OBP's comment, after which I immediately modified my statement.



    More dishonest interpretation of my position. Here - lemme say it in really clear words for you --- MLK did a LOT OF GOOD STUFF. He even made a speech in Ferguson challenging blacks to do better, because they were responsible for far more crime than the population they represented. And I LOVED his emphasis on "content of character" rather than "color of skin". MLK did and said a LOT OF GOOD STUFF.



    You could probably word that better, but I think you're still hung up on the false notion that I don't think MKL did good stuff.



    Would you like to have a decent calm conversation, or would you like to continue spewing forth venom and sewing discord, Simp?

    Lemme try, once again, to break it down for you, though it will not surprise me that you'll come back yet again and distort my position.

    MLK was a very important figure in US History, did a LOT of very good and noble things, and wrote some incredible things (some of which, quite honestly, appear to be plagiarized) and preached some very good sermons.
    MLK had some glaring character faults.
    I'm not aware of anything MLK did or said or wrote to indicate that he acknowledged his sin (it is called sin, even if MLK did it).
    I do not KNOW, however, if MLK did, in fact, repent, express regret or remorse, or even acknowledge that he had sinned.

    I have no reason whatsoever to believe MLK is in hell, nor have I ever stated that he was or is.

    I'm beginning to think this is just a bunch of virtue signaling on your part, Simp.... this obsession of yours with looking at my posting and trying to find some dark or devious motive on my part.
    Cool! But we still have your conclusion that MLK seems to be unrepentant, which when combined with your use of the passage supporting your position as fruit inspector, leave a definite conclusion.

    An unrepentant heart is probably not heaven bound., and if he seems unrepentant , then it follows that it seems that MLK is not heaven bound. Your argument CP, and you are welcome to change those things, but you cannot have it both ways.

  4. #74
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,942
    Amen (Given)
    5247
    Amen (Received)
    22978
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Cool! But we still have your conclusion that MLK seems to be unrepentant, which when combined with your use of the passage supporting your position as fruit inspector, leave a definite conclusion.

    An unrepentant heart is probably not heaven bound., and if he seems unrepentant , then it follows that it seems that MLK is not heaven bound. Your argument CP, and you are welcome to change those things, but you cannot have it both ways.
    CP said he "didn't know" several times now.

  5. #75
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,052
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    CP said he "didn't know" several times now.
    If he really means that, then he could retract his assertion about MLK seeming to be unrepentant or modify his fruit inspections comment. CP want to have it both ways.

  6. #76
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,942
    Amen (Given)
    5247
    Amen (Received)
    22978
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    If he really means that, then he could retract his assertion about MLK seeming to be unrepentant or modify his fruit inspections comment. CP want to have it both ways.
    Again, you seem to have not read his posts. Might want to go back a couple of pages and read them again. More slowly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post

    So, lemme try to break it down for you....

    MLK was a sinner saved by Grace (I'm assuming, based on his published statements and works) who did some great things, and had some great failings. I have no way of knowing if he ever repented for his transgressions, but if I saw it in any of his writings, or testimony from friends or colleagues, I'd have no reason to refute it. I simply do not know.

  7. #77
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,052
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Again, you seem to have not read his posts. Might want to go back a couple of pages and read them again. More slowly.
    If most people had wrote that, I would take it as a retraction. But CP has a certain style in his posts, purposefully protecting an ambiguous stance.

    Maybe you could interpret it for me: Does CP still think MLK either presented bad fruit or was "seems unrepentant"?

    Makes no difference to me if you choose to type slowly or quickly.

  8. #78
    tWebber demi-conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,679
    Amen (Given)
    147
    Amen (Received)
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    But CP has a certain style in his posts, purposefully protecting an ambiguous stance.
    Stop breaking my chutzpah meters.
    I can't help but perversely root for Bloomberg simply because he doesn't even try to pretend we live in a serious country or a serious democracy and treats it and the process with the cynical contempt it deserves.

  9. Amen Sparko, One Bad Pig, Littlejoe amen'd this post.
  10. #79
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,942
    Amen (Given)
    5247
    Amen (Received)
    22978
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    If most people had wrote that, I would take it as a retraction. But CP has a certain style in his posts, purposefully protecting an ambiguous stance.

    Maybe you could interpret it for me: Does CP still think MLK either presented bad fruit or was "seems unrepentant"?

    Makes no difference to me if you choose to type slowly or quickly.
    Again, the only one here who is regularly ambiguous in their posts, is you.

  11. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  12. #80
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,052
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Again, the only one here who is regularly ambiguous in their posts, is you.
    Then take a stab at it and answer whether you think CP did in fact retract his earlier position:

    Bad fruit or good?

    Does MLK seem unrepentant or not?

    It is not like MLK is an unknown person, nor do I believe that this is the first conversation CP has encountered these questions. (note the discussion preceding CP's initial response that the SBC pastor was unrepentant, because of the recurring sin.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •