Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Was MLK a bible Christian?

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What exactly do you have against CP, simplicio?

Did he offend you in another lifetime or something?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Then take a stab at it and answer whether you think CP did in fact retract his earlier position:

Bad fruit or good?

Does MLK seem unrepentant or not?

It is not like MLK is an unknown person, nor do I believe that this is the first conversation CP has encountered these questions. (note the discussion preceding CP's initial response that the SBC pastor was unrepentant, because of the recurring sin.)
    I posted what CP thinks. It was very clear.

He retracts his earlier statement, and doesn't know if MLK was repentant or not.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I posted what CP thinks. It was very clear.

He retracts his earlier statement, and doesn't know if MLK was repentant or not.
    Ok. That is a clear and unambiguous statement.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And that's exactly what CP said numerous times.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    How is my post any easier to understand than CP's?

here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post

Pretty much retracted it, yes.

So, lemme try to break it down for you....

MLK was a sinner saved by Grace (I'm assuming, based on his published statements and works) who did some great things, and had some great failings. I have no way of knowing if he ever repented for his transgressions, but if I saw it in any of his writings, or testimony from friends or colleagues, I'd have no reason to refute it. I simply do not know.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    How is my post any easier to understand than CP's?

here it is:
    Both are equally easy to understand, however CP's past use of language left open the very real possibility that he did not mean it as a retraction of the fruitless life, or his statments on unrepentance.

You did know that MLK was an SBC pastor, don't you?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You do realize that MLK was an SBC pastor don't you?

One of the scurrilous antichristian tropes is the image of the itinerant Baptist preacher as a semiliterate and lecherous lout. MLK was a Baptist preacher, and certainly not some semiliterate lout. The degree of his lechery has been questioned in recent years, with the release of certain files.

MLK was never drawn to academia, even as a student. So he did deal with the academic conventions haphazardly. The charge of plagiarism is brought up, and it has been used by King's critics to attack his intellectual chops, since he did not chose the placid field of theology, his intellectual trail is more difficult to track. Intellectual depth does not always accompany great rhetoric, especially when the speaker or writer is particularly beholden to a specific style, the southern sermon. (his speeches are often in the form of a sermon, using various forms of repetition, and other rhetorical techniques of sermonizing).

The one example of apologia exhibiting considerable intellectual depth is Letter from a Birmingham Jail, and not limited in scope as his other examples of rhetoric, was written while in a Birmingham jail. It was written as a response to the open letter containing a critique, from a Christian viewpoint, of his actions, his confrontational use of nonviolent direct action (with its roots in the thought of a pagan from India, Gandhi).

Was it likely that the Letter was plagiarized? Did Martin, the black SBC pastor who wandered the south for years (before venturing north....) have the intellectual chops to pen such a great work on his own? (though I think the Holy Spirit had a hand in it) Has any section been identified as being lifted?

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Good point -- as FAR AS WE KNOW, it SEEMS like he was an unrepentant sinner, but, yes, we don't actually no.

I have a senior adult couple attending my Church every Sunday morning - they are living together and not married. I'm sincerely appreciative of the fact that they come every Sunday and hear the word, and I am praying that they realize the error of their ways.

I have been criticized for not confronting them, and for being kind to them. I will continue to love them and preach the Word to them.

I would not, however, even think about asking them to teach a Sunday School Class, or take on any position of leadership.
    I have a question about this but it might be for another thread and another time. I strongly appreciate taking a nonconfrontational stand towards anyone who is "sinning" The question here in my mind with regards to leadership or lack there of, How would one of them teaching a Sunday School be different from someone who wasn't living together unmarried but had issues with other things? I am curious if all sins are equal what makes this different? Is it the apparent, lack of being willing to change?
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Amplified Bible spells out what repentance is. "Repent, change your mind for the better with abhorrence for passed sins and heartily amend your ways". If murderers and child molesters kept sinning in the same way fornicators kept sinning I wonder why the fornicators get off so lightly in our general estimation of sin when they are all part of the bunch that will have their place in the lake of fire.