Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Was MLK a bible Christian?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    And the musings of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, Paul, and Peter are likewise PR spin, but to many, and not just the simple, they are great masterpieces of Christian literature and thought.

The Christian faith has been formed and guided by the writings of men trying to influence public opinion.
    Do you believe they are the inspired Word of God?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Do I have a different experience? yes.

What were some of the objections to MLK on this thread: he was a sinner.
    No, it's not that simple, Simp. He was an unrepentant sinner who was a preacher of the Gospel -- that's a lot different than just being a "sinner".

So somewhere in between the general understanding of "all are sinners" and the level of sin in MLK's life lies some sweet spot of the right amount of sin which is acceptable to be recognized as a good Christian.

Which suggests to me a lack of understanding of it, if it were really understood and internalized then Christians would be able to apply it to real life examples.
    The "level of sin" as you call it becomes a greater problem when the sinner is in a position of Spiritual leadership.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    No, it's not that simple, Simp. He was an unrepentant sinner who was a preacher of the Gospel -- that's a lot different than just being a "sinner".
    We don't actually know. It's possible that he was repentant, but unable to break free from his sin; I can identify with that.
    The "level of sin" as you call it becomes a greater problem when the sinner is in a position of Spiritual leadership.
    Yes.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

4. Amen MaxVel amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    We don't actually know. It's possible that he was repentant, but unable to break free from his sin; I can identify with that.
    Good point -- as FAR AS WE KNOW, it SEEMS like he was an unrepentant sinner, but, yes, we don't actually no.

Yes.
    I have a senior adult couple attending my Church every Sunday morning - they are living together and not married. I'm sincerely appreciative of the fact that they come every Sunday and hear the word, and I am praying that they realize the error of their ways.

I have been criticized for not confronting them, and for being kind to them. I will continue to love them and preach the Word to them.

I would not, however, even think about asking them to teach a Sunday School Class, or take on any position of leadership.

6. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Yes.
    Sounds to me like Cow Poke is quite sure of himself there, he is not offering any might, if, or maybe which would qualify his statement in any way.

The level or amount of sin becomes a greater problem for a preacher with a public role for many reasons: Fame, and the danger of hubris which accompany it; the scandal which accompanies the pastor and public figure is greater than the scandal of a private person; and most significantly, the devil makes such person a special target.

I have no doubt the Satan targeted King in a special way, not many others had the same high profile.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Good point -- as FAR AS WE KNOW, it SEEMS like he was an unrepentant sinner, but, yes, we don't actually no.

I have a senior adult couple attending my Church every Sunday morning - they are living together and not married. I'm sincerely appreciative of the fact that they come every Sunday and hear the word, and I am praying that they realize the error of their ways.

I have been criticized for not confronting them, and for being kind to them. I will continue to love them and preach the Word to them.

I would not, however, even think about asking them to teach a Sunday School Class, or take on any position of leadership.
    What does repentance actually look like? Is repentance some special seal which prevents any future sinful act?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What does repentance actually look like?
    I honestly don't mean this in an argumentative way, but I'm really beginning to think you are not very familiar with the Christian life in general.

Repentance is acknowledging your sin, being truly sorry for it, and seeking to not do that sin again.

David's prayer in Psalm 51 is an excellent example.

Is repentance some special seal which prevents any future sinful act?
    If you paid attention to my response to OBP, I think you'll discern it is not.

If you look at the life of Paul, you'll find that even such an honored Apostle struggled with sin. Romans Chapters 6 and 8 are excellent sources for more information.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Big time

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sounds to me like Cow Poke is quite sure of himself there, he is not offering any might, if, or maybe which would qualify his statement in any way.
    Perhaps you posted this before I responded to OBP?

The level or amount of sin becomes a greater problem for a preacher with a public role for many reasons: Fame, and the danger of hubris which accompany it; the scandal which accompanies the pastor and public figure is greater than the scandal of a private person; and most significantly, the devil makes such person a special target.
    On that, we certainly agree.

I have no doubt the Satan targeted King in a special way, not many others had the same high profile.
    And if Satan can't get to the man, he attacks his family. I've seen that personally.

13. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Big time
    YUGEly.