Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

King Trump stretches his new legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    So, after firing vindman and Sondland, the president has decided to openly abuse his power and enlist the supposedly neutral DOJ and Barr to get a criminal off. He has inserted himself directly into the Justice system WRT the sentancing of Roger Stone. To the point ALL FOUR PROSECUTOR RESIGNED from the case.
    Vindman and Sondland are bureaucrats. I am more interested in elected officials keeping their jobs than bureaucrats (something Democrats are opposed to).

Considering Trump can simply pardon Stone is one alternative. Would you prefer that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      Vindman and Sondland are bureaucrats. I am more interested in elected officials keeping their jobs than bureaucrats (something Democrats are opposed to).

Considering Trump can simply pardon Stone is one alternative. Would you prefer that?
      Yes. This is about expanding his power and sending a message through retribution that those that put truth or country above his wishes will be punished. A pardon doesnt send that message or expand his power.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Keep 'em coming, man! You're hilarious!
        And you are continuously on the wrong side of these issues. The fact liu was withdrawn because of her actions (or lack of action to reduce Stone's sentence) has been confirmed.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/12/polit...one/index.html

I continue to marvel at the brain dead loyalty to a man that brazenly flaunts abuse of power and the sort of corruption the founding fathers fought and lost their lives to prevent.

One thing Trump supporters who continue to excuse this president are not. They are not people that understand or have respect for the history and purposes that drove the founding of this country.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

And you are continuously on the wrong side of these issues. The fact liu was withdrawn because of her actions (or lack of action to reduce Stone's sentence) has been confirmed.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/12/polit...one/index.html
          "...CNN has learned."

Learned from who?

"...one person familiar with the thinking..." and "...a separate source familiar with the situation..."

How many times are you going to fall for this same ruse?
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-13-2020, 08:15 AM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

There is no silver lining to the unknown level of power that the president now enjoys. However, I do hope he does not, is not able to, take it to the point people like you would actually begin to push back, because that threshold is so far over the cliff there would be no capacity to recover. We would be his royal subjects by that point.

That is why I'm call him King Trump now. That is what you want. A king, someone that can trample all over anyone that would oppose him. Someone that can't be stopped from doing what you think you want done he wants.

But that is NOT how the government of the US is designed to work. And that is EVERYTHING the founding fathers were trying to avoid.

I think people prefer 'God-Emperor' to 'King' as a title for Trump. Mainly because it upsets lefties more than 'King'.

Don't you think that there has been a lot wrong with the way American politics / government has been going, for a long time?

Trump is hardly the first President to do something unconstitutional*, and it's not just the President, it's also other politicians, other branches of Government, including the judiciary, and many members of government agencies. Is Trump worse than previous Presidents? Maybe. He's definitely part of a (unhealthy) trend. America is on the downslope of it's empire glory days IMHO, history seems to indicate that it's almost impossible to reverse such a decline. Not that I'm rejoicing or gloating. Alternative empires could be considerably worse.

I think that the next President after Trump's second term will 'go farther' than Trump did, just as (arguably) Trump has 'gone farther' than Obama did. But really the bigger problem is general societal malaise, moral decay and hedonism/selfishness; and the actions of non-elected bureaucrats who believe they should determine who gets to run the country, and how they should run it. It's pretty clear that significant and senior members of the 'intelligence community' have actively tried to discredit and hinder the elected President, since before he was even sworn in. That's a nightmare precedent everyone should be very concerned about.

* granting your claim for argument's sake.
            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

The fact that she was actively posting during the trial and may have lied about her political affiliations during pretrial questioning is the kind of stuff that can get convictions overturned.
              Should, actually.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

"...CNN has learned."

Learned from who?

"...one person familiar with the thinking..." and "...a separate source familiar with the situation..."

How many times are you going to fall for this same ruse?
                How many times are you going to pretend those words are a valid excuse to ignore the truth?

Comment

Yes. This is about expanding his power and sending a message through retribution that those that put truth or country above his wishes will be punished. A pardon doesnt send that message or expand his power.
                  In many ways I agree, but let's be brutally honest here. If Trump had done so you would have started a thread about how, by pardoning Stone, Trump is letting everyone know that if they 'remain loyal' (i.e., 'lie') that whatever happens they'll get away with it because he'll pardon them. Tell me you wouldn't.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                    I think people prefer 'God-Emperor' to 'King' as a title for Trump. Mainly because it upsets lefties more than 'King'.

Don't you think that there has been a lot wrong with the way American politics / government has been going, for a long time?

Trump is hardly the first President to do something unconstitutional*, and it's not just the President, it's also other politicians, other branches of Government, including the judiciary, and many members of government agencies. Is Trump worse than previous Presidents? Maybe. He's definitely part of a (unhealthy) trend. America is on the downslope of it's empire glory days IMHO, history seems to indicate that it's almost impossible to reverse such a decline. Not that I'm rejoicing or gloating. Alternative empires could be considerably worse.
                    Unfortunately declines are not relative animals. Yes, the trend has been towards more presidential power for a while. And deteriorating societal morays have led to a greater tolerance of abuses of power and moral indiscretions by those same presidents. But that doesn't mean 'It's just more of the same'. The decline has a floor, it is not a bottomless pit. And the closer you get to that floor, the more dangerous any further decline is. The Floor is the loss of any control over the president, the dissolution of the separation of powers. Trump started closer to that floor than any other preseident, has almost no respect for the ideals that created the separation of powers, and has moved us farther along that decline - in the absolute sense - more than any other president. When you put all that together, we are now precipitously close to that floor. We need to be pushing back STRONGLY, and we do not need to be naively saying 'Oh well, it's just more of the same'.

I think that the next President after Trump's second term will 'go farther' than Trump did, just as (arguably) Trump has 'gone farther' than Obama did. But really the bigger problem is general societal malaise, moral decay and hedonism/selfishness; and the actions of non-elected bureaucrats who believe they should determine who gets to run the country, and how they should run it. It's pretty clear that significant and senior members of the 'intelligence community' have actively tried to discredit and hinder the elected President, since before he was even sworn in. That's a nightmare precedent everyone should be very concerned about.
                    I agree with all you have said here, excepting that I am very critical of Christians that echo the response of a society impacted by that same societal malaise and moral misdirection.

This country was founded on strong ideals that themselves grew out of a strong Christian heritage. And those ideals are being disemboweled on every front by the Trump administration. And here on TWEB the cry is 'this is normal, this is ok, it's no big deal, he's just another bureaucrat'. And the reality is, no, this is no longer something we can tolerate as normal, we are too close to the floor I mention above. No this is not ok, no we cannot just sit back and pretend that since he's scratching our backs a bit that we can ignore the bigger picture of where he is taking us in terms of its affront on the most basic ideals that have served to make this nation the great nation it has been for over 250 years.
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-13-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      In many ways I agree, but let's be brutally honest here. If Trump had done so you would have started a thread about how, by pardoning Stone, Trump is letting everyone know that if they 'remain loyal' (i.e., 'lie') that whatever happens they'll get away with it because he'll pardon them. Tell me you wouldn't.
                      He's going to pardon him anyway, if not this year then definitely after the election, win or lose, something he doesn't want to say at the moment. Trump now has control of the DOJ, and through the DOJ he has control of the FBI. You wanted a dictator it seems, and your not far off from getting one. Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Does the fact I might well have started such a thread make any difference at all in terms of what real danger to this nation is associated with the power of the President being expanded in this way?

Comment

How many times are you going to pretend those words are a valid excuse to ignore the truth?
                          How do you know it's true when you can't even confirm who said what to who? Good grief you're gullible!

Comment

How do you know it's true when you can't even confirm who said what to who? Good grief you're gullible!
                            There are none so gullible as those that believe Trump in his daily lies.

Comment

There are none so gullible as those that believe Trump in his daily lies.
                              So you go with an "I know you are but what am I!" schoolyard taunt instead of attempting to explain how you know any of CNN's unverifiable "sources say" claims are true.

I especially love the "someone familiar with the thinking" attribution. For all we know, that's the guy sitting in the newsroom next to the reporter who said, "Oh, yeah, I totally know what they're thinking!"

Comment

Time to call a mistrial...

Roger Stone jury foreperson's anti-Trump views surface, raising new questions about his trial and conviction

https://www.foxnews.com/us/roger-sto...and-conviction
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment