Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 91

Thread: Senate GOP blocks three election security bills

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    622
    Amen (Given)
    76
    Amen (Received)
    54

    Senate GOP blocks three election security bills

    From The sHill


    Senate Republicans blocked an effort by Democrats to unanimously pass three election security-related bills Tuesday, marking the latest attempt to clear legislation ahead of the November elections

    Democrats tried to get consent to pass two bills that require campaigns to alert the FBI and Federal Election Commission (FEC) about foreign offers of assistance, as well as legislation to provide more election funding and ban voting machines from being connected to the internet.


    Is there a good a reason to block any bill which seeks to make sure our elections are protected and only influenced by Americans? If the bills were flawed why won't the Republicans offer up an alternative implementation?

  2. #2
    tWebber demi-conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,064
    Amen (Given)
    166
    Amen (Received)
    560
    A dispute over the Secure Elections Act boiled down to whether Congress should compel more states to use paper-based audits — a safeguard that election integrity advocates say would help ensure vote tallies weren't tampered with or altered.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...us-blow-746855
    The Virginia Democrat said she and others largely failed to convince Republicans to cosponsor election security bills earlier because the legislation was wrapped into the broader bill, H.R. 1, which contained a raft of liberal policies like expanding voting rights
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ueller-1369744
    Why does demi bother, maybe you think 'Obamacare' means that Obama cares.
    . Bloomberg, by comparison, may be the candidate that most of the Founders hoped would arise: a wealthy patrician, much like them, who would use his vast resources and influence to defeat what he views as disruptive elements in the nation’s political system.

  3. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,610
    Amen (Given)
    6195
    Amen (Received)
    7666
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Why does demi bother, maybe you think 'Obamacare' means that Obama cares.
    But the bills have such nice, friendly sounding names!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  5. #4
    tWebber Starlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,393
    Amen (Given)
    2804
    Amen (Received)
    1789
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Democrats tried to get consent to pass two bills that require campaigns to alert the FBI and Federal Election Commission (FEC) about foreign offers of assistance
    Trump:
    "I think you might want to listen, there isn't anything wrong with listening," Trump continued. "If somebody called from a country, Norway, [and said] ‘we have information on your opponent' -- oh, I think I'd want to hear it."... "It's not an interference, they have information -- I think I'd take it," Trump said...

    "Somebody comes up and says, ‘hey, I have information on your opponent,' do you call the FBI?" Trump responded.

    "I'll tell you what, I've seen a lot of things over my life. I don't think in my whole life I've ever called the FBI. In my whole life. You don't call the FBI."

    In Trump's mob background, snitches get stitches. You don't call the FBI.

    Senate Republicans apparently agree.

  6. #5
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,462
    Amen (Given)
    562
    Amen (Received)
    1856
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    From The sHill


    Senate Republicans blocked an effort by Democrats to unanimously pass three election security-related bills Tuesday, marking the latest attempt to clear legislation ahead of the November elections

    Democrats tried to get consent to pass two bills that require campaigns to alert the FBI and Federal Election Commission (FEC) about foreign offers of assistance, as well as legislation to provide more election funding and ban voting machines from being connected to the internet.


    Is there a good a reason to block any bill which seeks to make sure our elections are protected and only influenced by Americans? If the bills were flawed why won't the Republicans offer up an alternative implementation?
    Oh yeah - they are on a roll now. Gotta make sure the Ruskie's aren't hampered in their efforts to help get Trump back for a second term ...
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  7. #6
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,610
    Amen (Given)
    6195
    Amen (Received)
    7666
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Oh yeah - they are on a roll now. Gotta make sure the Ruskie's aren't hampered in their efforts to help get Trump back for a second term ...
    I see you've moved on to self-parody.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  8. #7
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,610
    Amen (Given)
    6195
    Amen (Received)
    7666
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimbulb View Post
    Trump:
    "I think you might want to listen, there isn't anything wrong with listening," Trump continued. "If somebody called from a country, Norway, [and said] ‘we have information on your opponent' -- oh, I think I'd want to hear it."... "It's not an interference, they have information -- I think I'd take it," Trump said...

    "Somebody comes up and says, ‘hey, I have information on your opponent,' do you call the FBI?" Trump responded.

    "I'll tell you what, I've seen a lot of things over my life. I don't think in my whole life I've ever called the FBI. In my whole life. You don't call the FBI."

    In Trump's mob background, snitches get stitches. You don't call the FBI.

    Senate Republicans apparently agree.
    And then there's the Democrats who literally paid a foreign operative to dig up dirt on a political opponent, write a fictional "dossier" that was used as evidence for an illegal spy operation, and launched one of the biggest nothing-burger witch hunts in US history

    But you're right, let's all focus on what Trump said in response to a merely hypothetical question while ignoring what the Democrats actually do.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  9. #8
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,268
    Amen (Given)
    2005
    Amen (Received)
    1616
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Why does demi bother, maybe you think 'Obamacare' means that Obama cares.
    For one thing the name is the ACA, which is obviously a concern of democrats and Obama who got it passed without any republican support. Obamacare is the name the republicans gave it, because as they made obvious about themselves, sociopaths really don't care about healthcare any more than they care about democracy and free elections.
    Last edited by JimL; 02-12-2020 at 02:42 PM.

  10. #9
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,462
    Amen (Given)
    562
    Amen (Received)
    1856
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I see you've moved on to self-parody.
    Unfortunately, that is not a logical conclusion given the data or my post. It's rather clear that the Republicans believe that efforts to prevent the possibility of an internet connection allowing the potential for hackers to change voting results is not in their best interests. Now who's hackers would be interested in hacking voting machines in a way that the Republicans would not want interfered with .... hmmm
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-12-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  11. #10
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,610
    Amen (Given)
    6195
    Amen (Received)
    7666
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Unfortunately, that is not a logical conclusion given the data or my post. It's rather clear that the Republicans believe that efforts to prevent the possibility of an internet connection allowing the potential for hackers to change voting results is not in their best interests. Now who's hackers would be interested in hacking voting machines in a way that the Republicans would not want interfered with .... hmmm


    I can't take you seriously!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •