Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How does the Holy Spirit move among Baptists?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    That is funny coming from a poster whose posts are peppered with snark and hostility on a site which Christians freely use that same snark and hostility.
    I said "we", Simp. Like I'm doing with JimL. "We" includes me.

"You are starting to catch on" was an idiom I plucked from the rhetoric of others, and I purposefully chose it as appropriate here.
    It's up to you.

I am not surprised you are lost here. Christians of both the SBC and the wider evangelical world are condemning the resolution as a product of demonic forces,
    NOBODY I know in real life is condemning as a product of demonic forces. NOBODY.

the evangelical equivalent of Satan's smoke in the sanctuary.
    Well, maybe, cause nobody's talking about that, either.

If the devil is moving so freely among the Baptists in the SBC,
    Hmmmmm....... you really had to do so gymnastics to get there, Simp.

then it raises the question of whether the Holy Spirit is moving there as well.
    He is. As he chooses. And when.

And one important doctrine common to many Baptists is the idea that where the Holy Spirit is working, the devil is not.
    Well, ya missed again, cause I most certainly believe the devil is at work.

It is not my argument, or a Catjolic view, but one of evangelicals.
    Perhaps you should address it to... whoever it is that's making these claims. I'm pretty well connected in evangelical circles, and --- not a word of this stuff.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I said "we", Simp. Like I'm doing with JimL. "We" includes me.

It's up to you.

NOBODY I know in real life is condemning as a product of demonic forces. NOBODY.

Well, maybe, cause nobody's talking about that, either.

Hmmmmm....... you really had to do so gymnastics to get there, Simp.

He is. As he chooses. And when.

Well, ya missed again, cause I most certainly believe the devil is at work.

Perhaps you should address it to... whoever it is that's making these claims. I'm pretty well connected in evangelical circles, and --- not a word of this stuff.
    Interesting. But how am I supposed to know what you mean? From your past postings and how you use the English language? From your past postings on skillfully parsing the infinitives while pointedly ignoring the ideas? From your past posting on moral judgements using subjectivity as a guide?

True, it is extremely unlikely that many have met anyone in real life who is condemning that as a product of demonic forces. But the curious thing is that the internet does have souls behind it, real souls, real persons. So an idea you meet on the net has a person behind it, sometimes even a Christian person, Christian soul.

I suppose the snark free posts wasn't really a serious thing was it? , smile, The devilish intrigues are definitely part of the dialogue on the resolution on CRT, and that argument is precisely the same as the Satan's smoke in the sanctuary. ,smile,

No gymnastics CP, just pointing out the very real implications of the arguments made. You really don't see it, do you? While Christians are searching for reasons, and finding them, for rejecting CRT based on the implications and underlying ideas supporting CRT, Christian ideas also have underlying ideas support and implications. Even on the repentance of SBC pastors, black pastors.

One very common belief is that the devil is NOT present where the Holy Spirit (or the divine) is active. One may not hold that position, but I do suspect that you are being disingenuous by acting as if you are completely unfamiliar with it, since it does represent a common perspective of those from the Baptist tradition. ,smile,

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Interesting. But how am I supposed to know what you mean? From your past postings and how you use the English language? From your past postings on skillfully parsing the infinitives while pointedly ignoring the ideas? From your past posting on moral judgements using subjectivity as a guide?
    Apparently, you'll take whatever I say in the least possible charitable way, so...

True, it is extremely unlikely that many have met anyone in real life who is condemning that as a product of demonic forces.
    Well, when you consider that only ONE of us has been very much involved in SBC Denominational life, and has met THOUSANDS of other SBC Pastors, leaders, professors, teachers....

But the curious thing is that the internet does have souls behind it, real souls, real persons. So an idea you meet on the net has a person behind it, sometimes even a Christian person, Christian soul.
    Then internet allows persons to be bullies who would never be like that in real life.

I suppose the snark free posts wasn't really a serious thing was it?
    Or, perhaps you're seeing snark where none is intended? I'm very calmly trying to have a conversation with somebody who seems absolutely determined to "win points" or something.

, smile, The devilish intrigues are definitely part of the dialogue on the resolution on CRT, and that argument is precisely the same as the Satan's smoke in the sanctuary. ,smile,
    Maybe that's a Catholic thing.

No gymnastics CP, just pointing out the very real implications of the arguments made. You really don't see it, do you? While Christians are searching for reasons, and finding them, for rejecting CRT based on the implications and underlying ideas supporting CRT, Christian ideas also have underlying ideas support and implications. Even on the repentance of SBC pastors, black pastors.
    I don't know why it's so difficult for you to accept an honest "I don't know".

One very common belief is that the devil is NOT present where the Holy Spirit (or the divine) is active.
    I think we have vastly different experiences.

One may not hold that position, but I do suspect that you are being disingenuous by acting as if you are completely unfamiliar with it, since it does represent a common perspective of those from the Baptist tradition. ,smile,
    This might be a good example of you, apparently, looking for the least charitable meaning of what I say. I'm being totally honest, and I'd suspect I'm much more in tune with Southern Baptists than you are, but that's just my opinion.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Apparently, you'll take whatever I say in the least possible charitable way, so...

Well, when you consider that only ONE of us has been very much involved in SBC Denominational life, and has met THOUSANDS of other SBC Pastors, leaders, professors, teachers....

Then internet allows persons to be bullies who would never be like that in real life.

Or, perhaps you're seeing snark where none is intended? I'm very calmly trying to have a conversation with somebody who seems absolutely determined to "win points" or something.

Maybe that's a Catholic thing.

I don't know why it's so difficult for you to accept an honest "I don't know".

I think we have vastly different experiences.

This might be a good example of you, apparently, looking for the least charitable meaning of what I say. I'm being totally honest, and I'd suspect I'm much more in tune with Southern Baptists than you are, but that's just my opinion.
    Cool! Next time I hear a Baptist make the assertion that the devil does not work where the Holy Spirit works, I will tell him to be in tune with Southern Baptists, since it seems you are unfamiliar with the concept.

CP, you make holier than thou assertions about responding, yet whether you even attempt to be open and honest in dialog depends on the day of the week.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Cool! Next time I hear a Baptist make the assertion that the devil does not work where the Holy Spirit works, I will tell him to be in tune with Southern Baptists, since it seems you are unfamiliar with the concept.

CP, you make holier than thou assertions about responding, yet whether you even attempt to be open and honest in dialog depends on the day of the week.
    What is actually happening simp, is that you have already assigned positions and beliefs on various things to us already, and then no matter what we really say, you just read what you want us to have said. I think you just skim over our posts and see what you want to see then jump right into burning straw men.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    What is actually happening simp, is that you have already assigned positions and beliefs on various things to us already, and then no matter what we really say, you just read what you want us to have said. I think you just skim over our posts and see what you want to see then jump right into burning straw men.
    Ummm, the assigning is based on what people say, and is based on the premise that what they say represents what they believe. The one thing I brought up, that is from outside, is the idea of the devil can't operate where the Holy Spirit is. It is one that was common enough that CP would recognize it in some way.

I do read the posts, especially CP's posts that I respond to. Have you read them? Your ability to read critically seems to depend on whether you are motivated to disagree, not on the content of the posts, and the disagreements are not based on the content!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I do read the posts, especially CP's posts that I respond to. Have you read them? Your ability to read critically seems to depend on whether you are motivated to disagree, not on the content of the posts, and the disagreements are not based on the content!
    What are you, Pewee Herman? You think accusing me of what you are guilty of is going to work?

ScreenHunter_.jpg

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    What are you, Pewee Herman? You think accusing me of what you are guilty of is going to work?

ScreenHunter_.jpg
    Cool a meme.

But lets look at what I said:

Assigning ideas to what people think is appropriate when it is based on what they say or post.

The devil doesn't work where the Holy Spirit operates is a commonly accepted idea. (briefly stated)

That idea is common enough among Baptist that I assumed CP would recognize it.

I do read CP's posts and the ideas he uses and refers to.

I did ask you specifically if you did..............

There are any number of threads I can point to for examples of CP's postings, as well as your interjections. Is disagreement based on the content of the argument or the fact that anyone would dare disagree?

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why do you dislike CP so much?

Did he offend you in an earlier lifetime or something?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here's the glaring elephant in the room....

Which version was infallible?
    The version as originally drafted?
    The version that pretty much became opposite of what was drafted?

You might wanna examine your definition of infallibility.
    That is one of the problems with Total Biblical Infallibility - which bit of writing of a book was the beneficiary of the TBI ?