Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does the Holy Spirit move among Baptists?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

How does the Holy Spirit move among Baptists?

All Baptists I have met with do assert that the HS does move among men on an individual basis, and even insist that the HS moves among men when gathered collectively within a local church.

But does the HS have a role on a macro level?

As a Catholic I argue contra Baptists, that the HS works even among denominations who are separated from the Catholic Church.

Here is a document, non binding, non authoritative: http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/899/r...ist-convention

Do you think that the Holy Spirit moved among Baptists at their annual convention or meeting o assembly or random collection of speaking and fellowship or whatever term or description is preferred.

Is there anything in that resolution which is fluff, or contrary to the Word?

When EF Hutton speaks, people listen. But do we listen to the Holy Spirit? How do we identify when the Holy Spirit is speaking? What does he sound like, does he speak in a southern accent, the baritone male voice, or an alto and feminine voice? Does the Holy Ghost bother to speak through Southern Baptists when they get together on an annual basis?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Saying that the Holy Spirit moves among individuals and small groups does not mean that it cannot move among larger groups just like saying that the Holy Spirit moves among large groups does not mean that it cannot move among individuals and small groups -- unless the latter is what you're saying. Do you deny that the Holy Spirit moves among individuals and small groups?

Moreover, Baptists are hardly the only denomination that believes that the Holy Spirit moves among individuals and small groups. In fact, I'd say that is a fairly universal POV, so why single the Baptists out here?

Finally, IMHBAO, referring to the Holy Spirit as "HC" is about as disrespectful as referring to Jesus as "JC." Not something I normally associate with devout Christians.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

3. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Saying that the Holy Spirit moves among individuals and small groups does not mean that it cannot move among larger groups just like saying that the Holy Spirit moves among large groups does not mean that it cannot move among individuals and small groups -- unless the latter is what you're saying. Do you deny that the Holy Spirit moves among individuals and small groups?

Moreover, Baptists are hardly the only denomination that believes that the Holy Spirit moves among individuals and small groups. In fact, I'd say that is a fairly universal POV, so why single the Baptists out here?

Finally, IMHBAO, referring to the Holy Spirit as "HC" is about as disrespectful as referring to Jesus as "JC." Not something I normally associate with devout Christians.
    It is universal, but the discussion on Tweb was with Baptists who certainly seemed to discount the role (up to ambiguously denying it one place). I do argue, and have argued the Holy Spirit moves at each level of human interaction, from individual on up through major denominational assemblies.

I used the abbreviation, I had though it was an accepted abbreviation. Apparently I was wrong, and will not violate the conscience of Christian again in such a way. But I did have to look up IMBHAO to ascertain its meaning. Did you need to look up my abbreviation? If not, then it succeeded as word or term used in communication, both parties recognized its meaning.

Now to the main point in the OP: Do you think that the Holy Spirit moved among the men as the resolution was drafted, contemplated, written discussed, rewritten, and prayed over?

Is there anything contrary to the faith in that resolution?

Can A Christian , in good conscience, move contrary to the ideas in that resolution?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Do you think that the Holy Spirit moved among Baptists at their annual convention or meeting o assembly or random collection of speaking and fellowship or whatever term or description is preferred.
    At times, yes. At other times, no. We don't 'summon' the Holy Spirit like a fortune teller summons spirits.

I believe it was very powerfully inspired, and widely approved, except to a minority who were still dealing with their own sin of prejudice
    If I my add, IMHO even when the Holy Spirit does appear to be among a group this does not mean that everyone in that group is moved by the Holy Spirit.
    Moderated By: rogue06

My deepest apologies. I pretty much accidentally obliterated Cow Poke's response here. Every other time I've edited rather than replied to I was able to restore it, but not this time. Again, I'm truly sorry

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Just came up with an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    All Baptists I have met with do assert that the HS does move among men on an individual basis, and even insist that the HS moves among men when gathered collectively within a local church.
    The Holy Spirit moves and operates as He wishes, just like Spiritual Gifts are given to Christians as the Holy Spirit directs.

But does the HS have a role on a macro level?
    Unless Jesus was lying, yes.

As a Catholic I argue contra Baptists, that the HS works even among denominations who are separated from the Catholic Church.
    At times, sure.

Here is a document, non binding, non authoritative: http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/899/r...ist-convention
    This Resolution was many years in the making, and much prayed over. It did not simply come out of left field in a manner that it had to be heavily edited to, in effect, say the opposite of what the author intended.

At times, yes. At other times, no. We don't 'summon' the Holy Spirit like a fortune teller summons spirits.

I believe it was very powerfully inspired, and widely approved, except to a minority who were still dealing with their own sin of prejudice.

When EF Hutton speaks, people listen. But do we listen to the Holy Spirit? How do we identify when the Holy Spirit is speaking? What does he sound like, does he speak in a southern accent, the baritone male voice, or an alto and feminine voice? Does the Holy Ghost bother to speak through Southern Baptists when they get together on an annual basis?
    It is not surprising to me at all that the Holy Spirit is a foreign concept to you, and it's sad that you are ignorant on the way He operates.

I believe it was very powerfully inspired, and widely approved, except to a minority who were still dealing with their own sin of prejudice

Moderated By: rogue06

That appears to be the original, although I'm not sure who the last sentence is attributed to

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by rogue06; 02-13-2020 at 08:23 AM.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    It is universal, but the discussion on Tweb was with Baptists who certainly seemed to discount the role (up to ambiguously denying it one place).
    Let me be crystal clear - I believe that Jesus prayed for the Father to send the Holy Spirit to be with us, to guide us, to comfort..... living the Christian life without the Holy Spirit is like trying to breathe without air.

I do argue, and have argued the Holy Spirit moves at each level of human interaction, from individual on up through major denominational assemblies.
    As he chooses, and in whatever manner he wants to.

I used the abbreviation, I had though it was an accepted abbreviation. Apparently I was wrong, and will not violate the conscience of Christian again in such a way. But I did have to look up IMBHAO to ascertain its meaning. Did you need to look up my abbreviation? If not, then it succeeded as word or term used in communication, both parties recognized its meaning.
    I agree with Rogue on this.

Now to the main point in the OP: Do you think that the Holy Spirit moved among the men as the resolution was drafted, contemplated, written discussed, rewritten, and prayed over?
    With reference to the 1995 Resolution, I believe a whole lot of prayer and seeking the Lord was involved in that. It, to me, is clearly one of the major exceptions to the "business as usual" presentation of resolutions at our Annual Meeting.

Is there anything contrary to the faith in that resolution?
    Not that I could ever see. It was an attempt by men to codify, in effect, what was already happening in the SBC -- to note our progress and agree on a direction.

Can A Christian , in good conscience, move contrary to the ideas in that resolution?
    It's obvious what you're doing here, Simp.

You're kinda like the defense attorney trying to build a case to defend your client, being a Mormon, who is accused of theft, because people know that Mormons are good honest people and simply don't do that.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-13-2020 at 08:12 AM.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In English practice, yes. In Greek (at least in scriptural manuscripts and icons), Jesus Christ is universally written as IC XC (first and last letters of each word).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    In English practice, yes. In Greek (at least in scriptural manuscripts and icons), Jesus Christ is universally written as IC XC (first and last letters of each word).
    Given that... [*looks around to make sure*]... everyone here is speaking English, that seems more of a scholastic point than a relevant one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Given that... [*looks around to make sure*]... everyone here is speaking English, that seems more of a scholastic point than a relevant one.
    In my studies, I've often see the Holy Spirit abbreviated as HS, but only in writing. I'm trying to think of a time I've heard it spoken that way.

So, yeah, while I'm as uncomfortable with "HS" as I am "JC", I suppose it's not necessarily problematic in a real sense.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The responses highlight that there is not even the language to really discuss this topic. It is well established that the Holy Spirit moves among men and local churches, that we can state that fact without the special qualifications that not all men, not all churches may be open to the Spirit. But in this discussion which I am purposefully focusing on large groups and denominations in general, and specifically the SBC, It seems that Cow Poke is refusing to entertain even the possibility!

I am a Catholic, believe that the SBC is in error and separate themselves from the fullness of truth (so, boilerplate Catholic views which should not really surprise anyone), but also recognize that the Holy Spirit does move within the SBC, among individuals, among or within the local churches, and even when they meet corporately, especially when meeting corporately.

The 1995 resolution was promulgated for the sesquecentenial, a date with significance (for some reason, round numbers have significance), they know it was coming and prepared the statement which did signal a significant shift, a radical change, and a genuine repentance.

CP is curiously reserved when it comes to the possibility that the committees might pray. (ducking, dodging and weaving) I state with confidence that they do pray. I base that on one instance in print in which a Baptist admitted that there was a prayer at one single session. But I extrapolate that sliver of knowledge, with my understanding of Baptist spirituality in which prayer has a special place and significance: I believe that the resolutions at each step are handled prayerfully, not lightly.

I note that CP carefully crafted the response about the 1995 resolution, it was prayerfully considered. Yet his descriptions, and language used for the recent example does not seem to allow for the movement of the Holy Spirit, not for any prayerful contemplation. I suppose CP is the measure of all things divine, if it disagrees with CP, then it is not of the divine inspiration.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So if you claim that the resolution claiming CRT is a useful tool was inspired by the Holy Spirit, then you would have to accept the same for all of the Baptist resolutions, even the ones you don't agree with, right?

Also, do you accept every pronouncement from the Pope when he speaks ex cathedra as infallable? Cuz you sure don't act like it.