Why I dont really debate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I dont really debate.

I dont debate much because I know myself well enough to see my own biases. I tend to make assumptions that are not productive and I often find myself saying and thinking things I regret. I also dont like strife.

I do enjoy a good conversation or socratic dialogue though.
    sigpic

I enjoy debating, but only with people who can make persuasive, evidence (or logic) based arguments without getting emotional about it. I like argument, and the live-testing of ideas. It's like a mental back-scratch to me.

But when people get all emotional about it, I tend to disengage. Like some threads here on Tweb recently. If your response to my argument is to insult me, then I mentally downgrade you to a poop-flinging monkey and disengage. After all, there's nothing to be gained by arguing with monkeys that are flinging poop at you. You'll win the argument, but they won't know it....and you'll still be covered in poop.

It's really disappointing when grown adults can't talk to each other politely while debating opposing ideas.
    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I don't because I feel that right now so many kinds of debate will stir dissidence. I don't find it useful nor biblical. It's better to have a thought provoking discussion
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm not sure I see your distinction between "debate" and "discussion", but it doesn't matter. Call it what you will, as long as it's polite I enjoy it. I really used to enjoying some of the discussions here. But lately, I find it's difficult to say anything about politics without someone calling names and being a 5-year old. Which is ironic, because most of the time those people are also Christians who are generally conservative, like I am.

Really, it's very disappointing. I'm watching my own "tribe" so to speak...and they're denying well-established fact, making poor arguments, and then retreating to insults. Against someone who's "on the same team". If one's beliefs are that fragile, then they need re-examination.
        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment