Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Deep Fakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Fakes

This technology is getting (has got?) to the point where we can't trust video evidence any longer.

I think the even worse negative effect to this will be that anytime a legit video comes out that puts some politician or government official in a damning light, they'll just discredit it by claiming it's fake.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      I think the even worse negative effect to this will be that anytime a legit video comes out that puts some politician or government official in a damning light, they'll just discredit it by claiming it's fake.
      Yep. We won't know what to believe.

But it has a good side to it also. Hollywood could bring back dead stars in new movies, or even make old stars look young again. I think they used something like this in the last star wars movie to bring General Tarkin back. It wasn't perfect, but this technology will only get better.

Here is one someone did putting a young Harrison Ford into the Solo movie:

What's scary is that these are being done by ordinary people with regular computers. You can download the software yourself.

Here is a tutorial on how to do it:

Last edited by Sparko; 02-18-2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Deepfake of Mona Lisa...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Yep. We won't know what to believe.

But it has a good side to it also. Hollywood could bring back dead stars in new movies, or even make old stars look young again. I think they used something like this in the last star wars movie to bring General Tarkin back. It wasn't perfect, but this technology will only get better.
          Is this similar to the hologram shows they've been using to "bring back" music stars like Michael Jackson?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Is this similar to the hologram shows they've been using to "bring back" music stars like Michael Jackson?
            no. Those are just old recordings of the stars themselves, just projected to make them look like they are on stage with live performers. It's basically reflections onto a transparent surface. It's actually technology that is over 100 years old.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...m-accomplished

Comment