Announcement

Collapse

Church History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to Church History 201.

Believe it or not, this is the exact place where Luther first posted the 94 thesis. We convinced him to add one.

This is the forum where the Church and its actions in history can be discussed. Since CH201, like the other fora in the History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here. This means that anything like Ecclesiology can be discussed without the restrictions of the Ecclesiology forum, and without the atmosphere of Ecclesiology 201 or the Apologetics-specific forum.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is and such is not the area to try disembowel anyone's faith.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

More secular proof of Jesus' existence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    It's not an "extrabiblical source"; it's a forgery intended to historically align with the gospels.
    Only some of the material doesn't perfectly align with the gospels. There are some conflicts. The second letter of Caiaphas aligns with the gospels almost ridiculously so.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      The parenthesis is an oddity for sure.
      This thread reminds me of an old joke.

A man in the psychiatric ward thinks he is dead. The psychiatrist tries to convince him he isn't.

"Do dead men feel pain?" asks the doctor

"Of course not!" says the patient.

The doctor sticks him with a needle.

"Ow!!" says the patient.

"See, you aren't dead! You felt pain!" says the doctor.

"Well, what do you know! Dead people CAN feel pain!" exclaims the patient.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        This thread reminds me of an old joke.

A man in the psychiatric ward thinks he is dead. The psychiatrist tries to convince him he isn't.

"Do dead men feel pain?" asks the doctor

"Of course not!" says the patient.

The doctor sticks him with a needle.

"Ow!!" says the patient.

"See, you aren't dead! You felt pain!" says the doctor.

"Well, what do you know! Dead people CAN feel pain!" exclaims the patient.
        Whatever, man. Back at ya.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Only some of the material doesn't perfectly align with the gospels. There are some conflicts. The second letter of Caiaphas aligns with the gospels almost ridiculously so.
          Sure. Impious forgers (or ignorant pious forgers, or heretical pious forgers) are likely to include some conflicts. In the case of impious forgers, they're looking to sow doubt on the biblical narrative. In the case of heretical forgers, they're looking to bolster their heresy.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Sure. Impious forgers (or ignorant pious forgers, or heretical pious forgers) are likely to include some conflicts. In the case of impious forgers, they're looking to sow doubt on the biblical narrative. In the case of heretical forgers, they're looking to bolster their heresy.
            I don't think Mahan was that capable or that clever. You're giving his wit the benefit of the doubt. Fair enough.

Comment

There is even one place where he uses the word "alma" and then in parenthesis mentions it's the hebrew word for virgin.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

So "almah" does seem to imply virginity.

Blessings,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post

So "almah" does seem to imply virginity.

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  I call a virgin whoever has not seen blood, even though she is married and has had children, until she has seen the first showuntil the healing of the wound.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The rabbinic writings come too late to be good commentaries on scriptures. Anything post-Messianic is liable to be altered to make the fulfilled Messianic prophecies less apparent. There is plenty of incentive to cover-up the message of the Messiah, after the fact.

Comment

Good point. But, it could be like in English where we sometimes use the word "maiden" to mean "virgin." but the technical meaning of "maiden" is just "young girl."

My point was that this guy is a phony because if he was genuinely translating a letter from Hebrew, why would he leave a Hebrew word in the translation instead of just translating it? The whole thing is so obviously a fake for many reasons.

Comment

Good point. But, it could be like in English where we sometimes use the word "maiden" to mean "virgin." but the technical meaning of "maiden" is just "young girl."

My point was that this guy is a phony because if he was genuinely translating a letter from Hebrew, why would he leave a Hebrew word in the translation instead of just translating it? The whole thing is so obviously a fake for many reasons.
                        Oh I agree that one finds many "wackos" around, particularly when it comes to religion.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                          Oh I agree that one finds many "wackos" around, particularly when it comes to religion.
                          Yeah we tend to get a lot of nutty atheists around here who seem to have OCD and it seems their entire lives revolve around something they claim they don't even believe in.

Comment

Yeah we tend to get a lot of nutty atheists around here who seem to have OCD and it seems their entire lives revolve around something they claim they don't even believe in.
                            Of course the dispassionate and critical historical analysis of texts and the socio-historical context in which they were composed is altogether something quite different.

Not being a believer does not prevent an individual having an academic interest in the history and comparative study of religions.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                              Of course the dispassionate and critical historical analysis of texts and the socio-historical context in which they were composed is altogether something quite different.

Not being a believer does not prevent an individual having an academic interest in the history and comparative study of religions.
                              Riiight. That explains why you spend so much time hanging out on religious forums arguing with lay Christians about what you believe are mere fairy tales.
                              Last edited by Sparko; 07-10-2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

You are free to believe we do actually believe in God. This is just like believing that God exists. Just because you believe it, doesn't make it true.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X