Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trump job creation and the upcoming election

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Not really, you got to just delve into it, reading as much material as you can. It took me a good few years to grasp it all. The internet is a haven for this information, but you've got read multiple sources from a variety of economists because of everyone's bias. You have to read sources from both gloom and doom contrarians (Peter Schiff, Jim Rickards, Doug Casey) and economic Keynesian shills like Paul Krugman (basically any economist that appears on a mainstream financial network is a "everything is great, no need to panic" shill). Sven Henrich is awesome, but he caters to folks that have some basic knowledge about this stuff.
    It's what I've been slowly doing, this forum so far is my contact with people of a conservative economical bent while I wet my toes in this. Wish there was more of you here.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    In contrast, what actually matters is how the poor are doing.*

*Man was not made for the economy, but the economy for man. You need to look at how the people are doing, not how the abstract 'economy' is doing.
    GDP increasing only tells you that the rich are getting richer, and same for the stock market index.

What's the underlying value system, what is the metaphysic? Demi says that if the economy is good, or becoming better, it means the poor are having better jobs, less living from paycheck to paycheck, less suffering. The world says that it's primarily about fat cats getting fatter.
    . Bloomberg, by comparison, may be the candidate that most of the Founders hoped would arise: a wealthy patrician, much like them, who would use his vast resources and influence to defeat what he views as disruptive elements in the nationís political system.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    [Socrates]Leonhard, what do you mean by a good economy? What is good? What does it mean for an economy to improve?[/Socrates]
    . Bloomberg, by comparison, may be the candidate that most of the Founders hoped would arise: a wealthy patrician, much like them, who would use his vast resources and influence to defeat what he views as disruptive elements in the nationís political system.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    GDP increasing only tells you that the rich are getting richer, and same for the stock market index.

What's the underlying value system, what is the metaphysic? Demi says that if the economy is good, or becoming better, it means the poor are having better jobs, less living from paycheck to paycheck, less suffering. The world says that it's primarily about fat cats getting fatter.
    The median house hold income has increased under Trump and Obama, there was a downturn with the Great Recession, and after that it was recovering. That might ultimately be overshadowed by what SeanD is talking about, but that's where it is at.

The notion of economic mobility being important is an important point. I live in a country with a significantly higher economic mobility than your country. My grandfather was a factory worker so poor they had to grow their own food (they even had two pigs in the garage), my mother supported her parents got an education and now all her children including me have a college degree and I now earn more than my mother and father's pay combined when they were my age (inflation-adjusted).

I've seen a generally bad trend in the US where economic mobility is declining in general, going back several decades.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I've seen a generally bad trend in the US where economic mobility is declining in general, going back several decades.
    Yet GDP increased over all these years, so did all the stock markets (inflation adjusted too).

What is the definition of a good economy? Demi's definition entails that GDP and stock market values are irrelevant.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post

It does look "fishy", I mean printing money to pay off loans should - I guess - devalue the currency of everyone. Which is problematic. I can't see the vicious cycle you're drawing going on forever at least.
    It'll go on as long as money demand matches money supply, as long as the USD keeps its special status,

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Demi says fat cats like Trump and Putin should be ousted.?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Notice the stock market has been struggling lately. Don't let the MSM shills fool you into thinking this is pandemic fear. The Fed has been gradually tapering it's repo support and hinting that it may end that support entirely in April. It's all about the Fed.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Buy The Dip!

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Buy The Dip!
    This would be a perfect opportunity for the Fed to officially announce full-on QE, wouldn't it? Fed: "Well, the economy was doing absolutely great until this corona thing happened, so now we gotta switch from repo to doing full-on QE. We're not trying to keep the bubble (we created) going, we're honestly just putting up safeguards against this potential pandemic on our great economy. You understand."
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).