Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Opening Thoughts On God And Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Thoughts On God And Play

Let the games begin!

Link

------

Does God play? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Just a couple of nights ago, I went to bed wondering why it is that I, like so many of us out there I am sure, have a tendency to not do things I should be doing and instead spend more time on secondary things. Why is it that so many times God doesn’t seem as enjoyable as other things? Why is it that many of us don’t really think of Bible reading as something done for joy?

We all know we need to be about the work of the kingdom, but we don’t have much about the joy and the fun of the kingdom. If anything, many in our culture view God as a killjoy. This is especially true when it comes to sexual taboos. Some people speculate that a lot of Christians and God Himself live with this great concern that somewhere out there someone might be enjoying themselves.

What if we have it backwards, which I think we do? What if instead of being a killjoy, God is out there trying to optimize the joy that we have? The sexual rules, many of us know, aren’t to hold us back from fun. They’re to preserve a deeper level of joy than would be thought before and to keep us from just using random people for our own enjoyment. We might get some joy out of such an activity, but it is a wrong way to get joy since it treats people like objects.

Chesterton said years ago that God has no problem with what we call the monotonous. The sun rises every morning because God is like a small child who sees it rise and then says, “Do it again!” “Do it again!” “Do it again!” All daisies look alike because God has never got bored with making one of them.

Jesus says in John 5 that He is working and His Father is always working. What if we replaced it with playing? What if part of the reason God does all He does is for joy? After all, there was no need for creation. God was not lacking anything. There was nothing wrong with God or no task He was assigned. Why create? For joy.

What if it is as Lewis said years ago? Our desires are not too strong. They are too weak. We are far too easily pleased. What if we actually hold notions that God doesn’t want us to enjoy our own lives?

This isn’t far-fetched. For my senior sermon when I was in Bible College, I preached on wonder and someone told me about the cover of Moody magazine from a recent issue. “Is It Right To Enjoy My Life?” It’s a sad commentary on Christian culture where such a question has to be asked.

While we are to delight in God, He also gave us other things. Paul tells us in 1 Tim. 6:17 that God gives us all things richly for our enjoyment. This is also talking about material possessions. Nothing wrong with enjoying them. The reason we work also is so we won’t have to work. We look forward to that time of leisure. Play is something that is done just for its own sake.

There is much to play with. Chesterton once said he would answer skeptics on the problem of pain if they would answer on the problem of pleasure. Why does the world have multiple colors? God could have created a world without them easily. We are made to have to eat and drink, but that doesn’t mean food and drink had to taste good. We are made that the species has to reproduce, but that doesn’t mean that reproduction had to be turned into a fun event.

Perhaps we Christians need to be people of more joy. We have earned a reputation of being Puritans with regard to pleasure. (Which is indeed a false notion. The Puritans were really a very fun-loving people.) If anyone is having joy in this life, it should be the Christian. Why aren’t we?

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Are you saying God was lacking Joy?

Comment

Not at all.

Comment

Are you saying that creating the universe and us is His hobby?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Not in the sense of a plaything, but I think He did it for joy. There's an ancient tradition that says that the Trinity was involved in a dance of love for all eternity, and mankind was created to join in the dance.

Comment

I meant in the sense someone might paint a picture, write a story, or design a computer program. For the joy of creating something. Considering the variety of exoplanets out there, Someone is clearly creative for the sake of being creative. No one but God would have known about those planets until recently. Does it bring glory to God when we keep discovering more details of the world He created?

Comment

I don't see why it wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                Not at all.
                If he created us for joy, then doesn't it mean he was lacking that joy before creating us?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  If he created us for joy, then doesn't it mean he was lacking that joy before creating us?
                  Not necessarily. He created the universe and called it good doing so out of love. Being God he doesnt really need anything.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                    Not necessarily. He created the universe and called it good doing so out of love. Being God he doesnt really need anything.
                    Didn't say "need" - said, "lacking"

Comment

No. It does mean though that He wanted to expand that joy beyond Himself and have others share in that joy.

There have to be others for that to happen.

Comment

No. It does mean though that He wanted to expand that joy beyond Himself and have others share in that joy.

There have to be others for that to happen.
                        OK. then you might want to reword your blog.

It wasn't clear that is what you meant when you said, "What if we replaced it with playing? What if part of the reason God does all He does is for joy? After all, there was no need for creation. God was not lacking anything. There was nothing wrong with God or no task He was assigned. Why create? For joy."

But I don't find it wrong that God wants MORE Joy so he created. Like I sad above there is a difference between NEEDING and LACKING. You NEED air, but you might only be lacking in a big screen TV. You can want to have something you are lacking, or do without. So I don't see why God couldn't be lacking in the joy of his creation and wanting to create so he could have that joy. He didn't NEED it, he just wanted it.

Comment

Exactly. He never needed anything. If I say He never needed anything then it would follow He's not lacking in anything. God creates to share the abundance of love.

Comment

Exactly. He never needed anything. If I say He never needed anything then it would follow He's not lacking in anything. God creates to share the abundance of love.
                            God is lacking in many things. He is lacking in being mean. He is lacking a uterus. He probably doesn't have a computer or big screen TV either.

He doesn't NEED those things though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              God is lacking in many things. He is lacking in being mean. He is lacking a uterus. He probably doesn't have a computer or big screen TV either.

He doesn't NEED those things though.
                              Well, since He created all the atoms in your computer....

Comment