Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pastor takes Biblical Stand, Is Ejected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Ok. Here's text I copied from the church's FB dated late January

"Trinity Bible Presbyterian Church of Weed, California, would like to make a clear declaration of two things. First, that the Holy Spirit speaking in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments condemn homosexuality as a sinful lifestyle. As with every sin, God calls everyone everywhere to repent, turning away from every sin to the Savior, Jesus Christ. Second, that Trinity Bible Presbyterian Church, contrary to some reports, did not fire its pastor."

And another account with more details on people's reactions:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...church-n959086
    The protests are largely self-contradictions. The nbcnews noted;
    “The power of protest. You got to love it!” Michelle Meeks Le Guellec, one of the protest organizers, told NBC News.

Several protest participants conveyed that church parishioners have a right to believe whatever they want, but the protesters took issue with the sign being placed for all passersby to see.

“Keep it in your church. If it’s not something hopeful for the community, if it’s not loving, keep it in your church,” Charolette Kalayjian, who helped organize the protest, told KOBI-TV. “Keep it in your house. Don’t share it with everybody.”

The first one rejects the "power of protest" by the church or pastor against the misperceptions held in the community.

The other protestors make a public stand against a Christian church, without saying why the church isn't loving, while denying the church a public voice. How do the protestors become the determiner of what is right? They say to keep the beliefs inside the "church" but they are outside with their beliefs.

Comment

Assorted observations...

-- All the relevant Facebook posts from both the CBN and NBC articles have been deleted.

-- Predictably, the NBC article is dishonest: The headline makes the value-judgement that the sign is "anti-LGBTQ," and the opening paragraph omitted "still" from "Homosexuality is a sin," which distorts the point of the message on the sign.

-- The pastor is inexcusably naive if he thought the sign would not be received by much of the public as "hate speech" and so draw opposition.

-- The pastor was tragically unfamiliar with his own libtard flock if he didn't realize the level of internal opposition he would receive.

-- I'm not sure the public sign was the right place for the message. I kind of have the impression from Scripture that teaching about proper morals was done internally, and that externally the message was about Jesus.

-- If you're going to be provocative, go big or go home. Try to find a concise, sign-ready way to say that anyone -- atheist, Jew, Muslim, Mormon, Liberal "Christian," whatever -- who does not believe that Jesus is I AM and acknowledge that He was literally raised from the dead is unrighteous, unsaved, and going to hell.
      Last edited by NorrinRadd; 02-23-2020, 03:03 AM.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Was the sign on church property? If so, is that not covered under "freedom of speech"? Is freedom of speech not allowed even when you aren't on your own property?

The man was right to state the truth publicly, and his church should have backed him up. I am free to tell my neighbours that they are sinners like I am and in need of repentance. If I don't do it for fear of what they might think of me or fear that they may be offended then I am neglecting the call to preach the truth of the gospel to everyone.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Sorta old news--this happened slightly over a year ago.

I did try to look up the church to try to see what denomination, if any, it was. According to Google Maps, it's now "Permanently Closed." (this might explain where the Facebook posts went, i.e. the Facebook page, and thus its posts, was probably shut down when the Church was)

I wonder what happened to the church, then. Did they just form a new church and all the members went there, or did it shut down completely, with the members presumably going off to similar nearby churches instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            Sorta old news--this happened slightly over a year ago.

I did try to look up the church to try to see what denomination, if any, it was. According to Google Maps, it's now "Permanently Closed." (this might explain where the Facebook posts went, i.e. the Facebook page, and thus its posts, was probably shut down when the Church was)

I wonder what happened to the church, then. Did they just form a new church and all the members went there, or did it shut down completely, with the members presumably going off to similar nearby churches instead?
            Great Scott...it does say 2019 not 2020. Good question. I'm not finding anything either.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X