Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hell check list~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell check list~

The following scriptures are very scary and sobering. What should our response (as born again believers in Christ) be?

Revelation 21:8

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.

Galatians 5:19-21

19 Now the doings (practices) of the flesh are clear (obvious): they are immorality, impurity, indecency,

20 Idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger (ill temper), selfishness, divisions (dissensions), party spirit (factions, sects with peculiar opinions, heresies),

21 Envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you beforehand, just as I did previously, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:3-6

3 But immorality (sexual vice) and all impurity [[b]of lustful, rich, wasteful living] or greediness must not even be named among you, as is fitting and proper among saints (God’s consecrated people).

4 Let there be no filthiness (obscenity, indecency) nor foolish and sinful (silly and corrupt) talk, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting or becoming; but instead voice your thankfulness [to God].

5 For be sure of this: that no person practicing sexual vice or impurity in thought or in life, or one who is covetous [who has lustful desire for the property of others and is greedy for gain]—for he [in effect] is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

6 Let no one delude and deceive you with empty excuses and groundless arguments [for these sins], for through these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of rebellion and disobedience.

Originally posted by Esther View Post
    The following scriptures are very scary and sobering. What should our response (as born again believers in Christ) be?

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.

19 Now the doings (practices) of the flesh are clear (obvious): they are immorality, impurity, indecency,

20 Idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger (ill temper), selfishness, divisions (dissensions), party spirit (factions, sects with peculiar opinions, heresies),

21 Envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you beforehand, just as I did previously, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

3 But immorality (sexual vice) and all impurity [[b]of lustful, rich, wasteful living] or greediness must not even be named among you, as is fitting and proper among saints (God’s consecrated people).

4 Let there be no filthiness (obscenity, indecency) nor foolish and sinful (silly and corrupt) talk, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting or becoming; but instead voice your thankfulness [to God].

5 For be sure of this: that no person practicing sexual vice or impurity in thought or in life, or one who is covetous [who has lustful desire for the property of others and is greedy for gain]—for he [in effect] is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

6 Let no one delude and deceive you with empty excuses and groundless arguments [for these sins], for through these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of rebellion and disobedience.
    Sin separates us from G-d, whether one is saved or not. But for us, as Christians, one definitely needs to repent, which enables us to accept G-d's mercy.

What does repentance look like? I don't know.

Comment

Sometimes Paul was abrupt:

"So they shook the dust off their feet as a warning to them and went to Iconium." (Acts 13:51)

Sometimes he was more evidently compassionate:

"Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears." (Acts 20:31)

So the response, and the warning is tailored to the people involved:

"Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh." (Jude 22-23)

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post

If we take them at face value and without considering other Scriptures that are more "gracious," we should conclude that no one has ever been saved, including the guy who wrote most of them.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

To take them as warnings ?

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            If we take them at face value and without considering other Scriptures that are more "gracious," we should conclude that no one has ever been saved, including the guy who wrote most of them.
            The list is another explanation of why we are saved by grace and how impossible it is to be saved by our works. We can't do enough to balance the scales between our sins and our good deeds. Our sins will always out weigh our good deeds. Therefore, we have to depend on God's mercy.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
              Sometimes Paul was abrupt:

"So they shook the dust off their feet as a warning to them and went to Iconium." (Acts 13:51)

Sometimes he was more evidently compassionate:

"Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears." (Acts 20:31)

So the response, and the warning is tailored to the people involved:

"Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh." (Jude 22-23)

Blessings,
              Lee
              Thank you. I take 2 Peter 1:19-23 to mean that the Bible is the Word of God and not the word of men. Otherwise how do I know what to take seriously or what to accept or reject?

19 And we have the prophetic word [made] firmer still. You will do well to pay close attention to it as to a lamp shining in a dismal (squalid and dark) place, until the day breaks through [the gloom] and the Morning Star rises ([j]comes into being) in your hearts.

20 [Yet] first [you must] understand this, that no prophecy of Scripture is [a matter] of any personal or private or special interpretation (loosening, solving).

21 For no prophecy ever originated because some man willed it [to do so—it never came by human impulse], but men spoke from God who were borne along (moved and impelled) by the Holy Spirit.
              Last edited by Esther; 03-04-2020, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                To take them as warnings ?
                I think this is the simplest and most correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                  Sin separates us from G-d, whether one is saved or not. But for us, as Christians, one definitely needs to repent, which enables us to accept G-d's mercy.

What does repentance look like? I don't know.
                  Yes good point. Separates us whether saved or not. Repentance in the Amplified Bible is defined as, "Repent. Change your mind for the better with abhorrence for past sins and heartily amend your ways". I like this accurate picture.

Comment

The Bible contains a good mix of grace and warnings. Probably the majority of people who claim to be Christians but don't take it too seriously need the warning passages more than the grace passages, but the opposite may well be true for believers with sensitive souls who really are trying to live like Christ but know how much they fall short. After all, the more we conform our life to Christ's vision, the more we're aware of how much we fall short.

The book of Hebrews is centered around five very stern warnings. However, the author surrounds them also by words of encouragement. He knew that Christians needed both, possibly at different times of their lives.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment