Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 135

Thread: Bernie Sanders Is The Front-Runner

  1. #41
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    58,049
    Amen (Given)
    1207
    Amen (Received)
    21222
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    That's a good point. Sanders is actually a 'social democrat' if you look only at his policy proposals and not his self-labeling. I think he's too rhetorically ossified from his old lefty days in the 60's when he really was a socialist.
    One of the boasts among Sanders' supporters is about his consistency. The views he held 40-50 years ago differ very little from what he holds now.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  2. #42
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    58,049
    Amen (Given)
    1207
    Amen (Received)
    21222
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Bernie stuck his foot in his mouth with the hispanic vote after his praise of Castro..so much for "democratic socialism" - Cuba is outright communism. And Bernie keeps praising them.





    Bernie’s Pro-Castro Remarks Backfire: ‘Sound Of Bernie’s Latino Voter Wave


    Socialist Bernie Sanders, the frontrunner in the race for the Democratic nomination for president, faced widespread backlash late on Sunday night over positive remarks that he made about murderous Cuban communist dictator Fidel Castro.

    Sanders made the disturbing remarks on CBS News’ “60 Minutes” with host Anderson Cooper when Cooper pressed him about positive remarks that he had made about brutal communist regimes in the past.

    “You know? When Fidel Castro came into office, you know what he did?” Sanders said. “He had a massive literacy program. Is that a bad thing? Even though Fidel Castro did it?”

    Sanders’ claim that Castro “came into office” lacks the historical context that Castro was essentially a terrorist who attacked Cuba’s government; he did not win in an election. Sanders’ claim that Castro had a “massive literacy program” is communist propaganda, a point that many critics hit Sanders on in response to his pro-communist remarks.

    Among those who fired back at Sanders were people on the political left — including politicians and people who appear on CNN and MSNBC — as well as Republican senators and conservative political commentators.

    Left-wing CNN commentator Ana Navarro tweeted: “Castro regime’s been in power in Cuba for +60 yrs w/o free elections. They’ve killed, jailed, tortured thousands. They confiscated assets, expelled priests & nuns… And let’s be clear, Cubans weren’t exactly communicating by grunts. Most knew how to read.”

    Navarro added, “I was in 2nd Grade when Sandinistas came to power in Nicaragua. They adopted Cuban education model. The books/curriculum taught ideological indoctrination. Children had to recite communist, revolutionary, anti-American slogans. That’s how communist teach people to read and write.”

    Left-wing MSNBC frequent guest Fernand Amandi tweeted out a series of videos showing Sanders’ repeated praise for communist leaders.

    Amandi tweeted, “Here’s avowed socialist @BernieSanders talking about how President Kennedy made him ‘want to puke’ because JFK stood up to and condemned Fidel Castro’s tyrannical totalitarian regime in Cuba”

    Amandi continued, “Here is @BernieSanders TONIGHT defending Fidel Castro’s murderous totalitarian Communist regime in Cuba. Democrats, nominating this man will absolutely re-elect @realDonaldTrump and end our Constitutional republic.”

    Amandi added, “Here’s a compilation clip of avowed socialist @BernieSanders talking about ‘how impressed he is,’ with Fidel Castro’s murderous, communist totalitarian regime in Cuba”

    Miami Herald reporter David Smiley wrote: “That’s the sound of Bernie’s Latino voter wave crashing on the shores of Miami”

    Former Obama White House staffer Christopher Hale wrote: “Fidel Castro was a dictator and a tyrant. He spent his regime murdering dissidents, imprisoning gay people, separating families from each other, banning the free and open practice of religion, and bringing the world to the brink of nuclear war. He’s not worthy of praise.”

    Statistician Josh Jordan responded: “On the same day that Bernie Sanders welcomed an endorsement from anti-Vaxxer Marianne Williamson, he’s got a 60 Minutes interview where he praises Castro’s indoctrination… I mean ‘literacy program.’ I can’t wait to see how this plays with swing voters come November.”

    Leftist Democrat Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo, who is highly political and hates the Second Amendment, responded, “For the record @BernieSanders, Fidel & Raul Castro, their murdering regime, & co-conspirators have never had a redeeming quality, ZERO. They worked on literacy programs in a State that controls everything available for reading, in essence, literacy was a path to indoctrination.”

    “I remember my high school history teacher trying to feed us the literacy achievement line,” Acevedo continued. “My response to him was I would rather be unread than to spend a lifetime reading the communist/socialists propaganda the Cuban government provided.”

    Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), whose father is from Cuba, responded, “It really makes a difference when those you murder at the firing squad can read & write.”

    Political strategist Rory Cooper responded, “Say goodbye to Florida. And prepare to spend money in New Jersey. If he’s the nominee.”

    Democrat Rep. Donna Shalala (FL) tweeted: “I’m hoping that in the future, Senator Sanders will take time to speak to some of my constituents before he decides to sing the praises of a murderous tyrant like Fidel Castro.”

    Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) tweeted: “Likely Dem nominee praised the supposed ‘achievements’ Castro regime.
    And he’s wrong about why people didn’t overthrow Castro. It’s not because ‘he educated their kids,gave them health care’ it‘s because his opponents were jailed, murdered or exiled.”

    Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) tweeted: “Shameful ignorance from @SenSanders. The Castro regime has killed & imprisoned dissidents, oppressed its people and propped up murderous dictators like Maduro and Ortega.”

    Probably have about as much effect as his support for Venezuela

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  3. #43
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,400
    Amen (Given)
    2023
    Amen (Received)
    1625
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    We don't have universal healthcare, and free education is not socialism. In a socialist system, the schools would be entirely run by the federal government; our schools are regulated by the federal government, but run at the local level.
    We weren't talking about the U.S., OBP, we were talking about Denmark, whether they have socialism intermingled in their otherwise market based economy.

  4. #44
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,400
    Amen (Given)
    2023
    Amen (Received)
    1625
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Bernie stuck his foot in his mouth with the hispanic vote after his praise of Castro..so much for "democratic socialism" - Cuba is outright communism. And Bernie keeps praising them.





    Bernie’s Pro-Castro Remarks Backfire: ‘Sound Of Bernie’s Latino Voter Wave


    Socialist Bernie Sanders, the frontrunner in the race for the Democratic nomination for president, faced widespread backlash late on Sunday night over positive remarks that he made about murderous Cuban communist dictator Fidel Castro.

    Sanders made the disturbing remarks on CBS News’ “60 Minutes” with host Anderson Cooper when Cooper pressed him about positive remarks that he had made about brutal communist regimes in the past.

    “You know? When Fidel Castro came into office, you know what he did?” Sanders said. “He had a massive literacy program. Is that a bad thing? Even though Fidel Castro did it?”

    Sanders’ claim that Castro “came into office” lacks the historical context that Castro was essentially a terrorist who attacked Cuba’s government; he did not win in an election. Sanders’ claim that Castro had a “massive literacy program” is communist propaganda, a point that many critics hit Sanders on in response to his pro-communist remarks.

    Among those who fired back at Sanders were people on the political left — including politicians and people who appear on CNN and MSNBC — as well as Republican senators and conservative political commentators.

    Left-wing CNN commentator Ana Navarro tweeted: “Castro regime’s been in power in Cuba for +60 yrs w/o free elections. They’ve killed, jailed, tortured thousands. They confiscated assets, expelled priests & nuns… And let’s be clear, Cubans weren’t exactly communicating by grunts. Most knew how to read.”

    Navarro added, “I was in 2nd Grade when Sandinistas came to power in Nicaragua. They adopted Cuban education model. The books/curriculum taught ideological indoctrination. Children had to recite communist, revolutionary, anti-American slogans. That’s how communist teach people to read and write.”

    Left-wing MSNBC frequent guest Fernand Amandi tweeted out a series of videos showing Sanders’ repeated praise for communist leaders.

    Amandi tweeted, “Here’s avowed socialist @BernieSanders talking about how President Kennedy made him ‘want to puke’ because JFK stood up to and condemned Fidel Castro’s tyrannical totalitarian regime in Cuba”

    Amandi continued, “Here is @BernieSanders TONIGHT defending Fidel Castro’s murderous totalitarian Communist regime in Cuba. Democrats, nominating this man will absolutely re-elect @realDonaldTrump and end our Constitutional republic.”

    Amandi added, “Here’s a compilation clip of avowed socialist @BernieSanders talking about ‘how impressed he is,’ with Fidel Castro’s murderous, communist totalitarian regime in Cuba”

    Miami Herald reporter David Smiley wrote: “That’s the sound of Bernie’s Latino voter wave crashing on the shores of Miami”

    Former Obama White House staffer Christopher Hale wrote: “Fidel Castro was a dictator and a tyrant. He spent his regime murdering dissidents, imprisoning gay people, separating families from each other, banning the free and open practice of religion, and bringing the world to the brink of nuclear war. He’s not worthy of praise.”

    Statistician Josh Jordan responded: “On the same day that Bernie Sanders welcomed an endorsement from anti-Vaxxer Marianne Williamson, he’s got a 60 Minutes interview where he praises Castro’s indoctrination… I mean ‘literacy program.’ I can’t wait to see how this plays with swing voters come November.”

    Leftist Democrat Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo, who is highly political and hates the Second Amendment, responded, “For the record @BernieSanders, Fidel & Raul Castro, their murdering regime, & co-conspirators have never had a redeeming quality, ZERO. They worked on literacy programs in a State that controls everything available for reading, in essence, literacy was a path to indoctrination.”

    “I remember my high school history teacher trying to feed us the literacy achievement line,” Acevedo continued. “My response to him was I would rather be unread than to spend a lifetime reading the communist/socialists propaganda the Cuban government provided.”

    Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), whose father is from Cuba, responded, “It really makes a difference when those you murder at the firing squad can read & write.”

    Political strategist Rory Cooper responded, “Say goodbye to Florida. And prepare to spend money in New Jersey. If he’s the nominee.”

    Democrat Rep. Donna Shalala (FL) tweeted: “I’m hoping that in the future, Senator Sanders will take time to speak to some of my constituents before he decides to sing the praises of a murderous tyrant like Fidel Castro.”

    Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) tweeted: “Likely Dem nominee praised the supposed ‘achievements’ Castro regime.
    And he’s wrong about why people didn’t overthrow Castro. It’s not because ‘he educated their kids,gave them health care’ it‘s because his opponents were jailed, murdered or exiled.”

    Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) tweeted: “Shameful ignorance from @SenSanders. The Castro regime has killed & imprisoned dissidents, oppressed its people and propped up murderous dictators like Maduro and Ortega.”

    Is a massive literacy program a bad thing? That's was Sanders point, not that Castro was great, or that pure socialism/communism is great. Sanders can't help it if people are stupid and can't distinguish the difference between praising Castro himself and praising certain policies that were instituted under Castro.

  5. #45
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,400
    Amen (Given)
    2023
    Amen (Received)
    1625
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    That is what I said, Bernie is still largely a blank slate. As people get to know him (his policies) the more they will dislike him.


    Florida Dems in uproar after Sanders’ Cuba comments

    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...omments-117213
    Sanders is hardly a blank slate, if you think so then you just haven't been paying attention.

  6. #46
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,400
    Amen (Given)
    2023
    Amen (Received)
    1625
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I think he still is and wants to soften his stance by pretending he just wants a welfare state. That's how it starts. Then when everyone is hooked on government handouts, the government can just take over the market completely.
    And you think that, why? The propaganda getting to you?

  7. #47
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,400
    Amen (Given)
    2023
    Amen (Received)
    1625
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    One of the boasts among Sanders' supporters is about his consistency. The views he held 40-50 years ago differ very little from what he holds now.
    Right, his views haven't changed, he was a Democratic socialist then, in other words a capitalist who believes also in government run social policies, and still is one now.

  8. #48
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,400
    Amen (Given)
    2023
    Amen (Received)
    1625
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Probably have about as much effect as his support for Venezuela
    Sanders doesn't support Venezuela or Maduro other than in your own uninformed/misinformed mind. He was actually asked about that in the last debate and stated that "anyone who does what Maduro does is a viscious tyrant." "To equate what goes on in Venezuela to what I believe is extremely unfair."

    Canada and Scandanavia are hardly comparable to Venezuela or Cuba and the former, not the latter, is where Sanders beliefs lay.
    Last edited by JimL; 02-25-2020 at 03:26 PM.

  9. #49
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,782
    Amen (Given)
    5370
    Amen (Received)
    23308
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Is a massive literacy program a bad thing? That's was Sanders point, not that Castro was great, or that pure socialism/communism is great. Sanders can't help it if people are stupid and can't distinguish the difference between praising Castro himself and praising certain policies that were instituted under Castro.
    Him praising Castro's literacy program (which was used to indoctrinate children) is like praising Hitler for his youth programs.

    Literacy wasn't a problem in Cuba before the revolution, Jim.

  10. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
  11. #50
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    22,063
    Amen (Given)
    6557
    Amen (Received)
    12462
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    We weren't talking about the U.S., OBP, we were talking about Denmark, whether they have socialism intermingled in their otherwise market based economy.
    I was responding to YOUR argument that the US had socialistic aspects, Jim. Pay attention.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •