Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    Two other factors: The demographics of grocery store workers skew heavily towards the the young, that is, the population that's the least likely to have problems with the virus (when I worked at a grocery store I remember only one old guy working there and he was in incredible shape for his age). Furthermore, because the workers are coming in contact with so many people I expect they are especially diligent in taking precautions to avoid getting sick, like sanitizing hands and avoiding touching your face.
    Good points. My eldest son is one of those people. He works in the meat room so is reasonably isolated. He says it's amazing how people come in while he is restocking the meat coolers and just walk right up to him without a mask or any attempt to keep 6 feet of separation. Fortunately, he wears a mask, gloves, and coveralls. We have a protocol in place when he comes home to deal with any surface contaminants. So far....so good.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      Furthermore, because the workers are coming in contact with so many people I expect they are especially diligent in taking precautions to avoid getting sick, like sanitizing hands and avoiding touching your face.
      On that note, I saw one young gal this evening rearranging items on the shelf and then proceed to vigorously scratch her chin with both hands.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        On that note, I saw one young gal this evening rearranging items on the shelf and then proceed to vigorously scratch her chin with both hands.
        People are so dumb when it comes to where they put their hands, even NOW in this situation. It's no wonder this thing is spreading like wildfire.

Comment

• So this is going to get interesting. Apparently, a Tiger at the Bronx Zoo just tested positive for Covid-19, and they suspect a few other animals might be infected. That means transmission from human-to-animal is almost certainly possible, which suggests the reverse may also be true. They are suggesting that anyone suspecting they are infected keep away from their pets.

If this turns out to be true, it introduces a whole other vector by which the infection can travel. If the captive animal population can be infected, can wild animals also become carriers? Insects? Right now, we have more questions than answers.

On the positive side, numbers today seem to be slightly depressed compared to trends. Is that an anomaly? Reporting errors? Beginning of a downswing? Unfortunately, that downturn includes number of people recovered, which is a bit odd and suggests we might have a reporting issue.
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-05-2020, 07:10 PM.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            So this is going to get interesting. Apparently, a Tiger at the Bronx Zoo just tested positive for Covid-19, and they suspect a few other animals might be infected. That means transmission from human-to-animal is almost certainly possible, which suggests the reverse may also be true. They are suggesting that anyone suspecting they are infected keep away from their pets.

If this turns out to be true, it introduces a whole other vector by which the infection can travel. If the captive animal population can be infected, can wild animals also become carriers? Insects? Right now, we have more questions than answers.

On the positive side, numbers today seem to be slightly depressed compared to trends. Is that an anomaly? Reporting errors? Beginning of a downswing? Unfortunately, that downturn includes number of people recovered, which is a bit odd and suggests we might have a reporting issue.
            A problem with the PCR test is that it does not test for the virus specifically. It tests for material that seems to be the virus. It is by no means an exact determination. As a result, the statistics rely on messy information. I'm not sure how the COVID-19 test was developed so as to try to discern COVID-19 from other things which may not produce the same illness.

Did the tiger have a fever?
            Last edited by mikewhitney; 04-05-2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
              Latest numbers -

April 1: 26,473 new cases and 1,049 new deaths
              April 2: 29,874 new cases and 974 new deaths
              April 3: 32,284 new cases and 1,045 new deaths
              April 4: 34,196 new cases and 1,331 new deaths

There was a slowdown on April 2 in the new death numbers. But it now looks like an anomaly. So the question, when do we reach the inflection point, remains to be seen.
              April 5: 25,316 new cases and 1,165 new deaths

Both new cases and new deaths are down from the previous day. Could this be the inflection point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I believe this is known as a failure to see the forest because the trees are blocking your view.
                Yes, I believe that was exactly your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                  Statistics can be untrustworthy in many ways.
                  Not nearly as untrustworthy as on-line videos.
                  One probable reason for high death rates attributed to COVID-19 in the US is that doctors are supposed to code in COVID-19 if the person had a positive test for COVID-19 (even if died from a car crash, for example)...
                  [citation needed]
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

So this seems to me to be a disaster waiting to happen. The U.S.S. Comfort is the hospital ship the military docked in NYC. It is not intended to care for coronavirus patients because it has an open-ward structure and is not set up to isolate patients. It is there to offload the OTHER patients hospitals deal with so the hospitals can focus on coronavirus.

Unfortunately, the process of being screened to go to the ship is arduous and has included a coronavirus screening: a patient has to test negative for the virus before being admitted to the ship. As a result, the ship is currently only caring for 20 people. To streamline things, they are changing the onboarding requirements: they will now only check temperature and complete a questionnaire.
                    Comfort seems an ideal option for a CV-19 isolation hospital. Why not fill it with infected people, much like London is doing with the conference centre, but better because it's already set up for medical care?
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                      The real unsettling number on that site is the death % in the closed cases. It’s currently on 21% and has been steadily creeping up from 11% when I first started checking the site a few weeks ago.
                      Currently 21% worldwide, 35% in the US. I'm not sure how reliable their "total recovered" is though, since it would give the UK 97%.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                        April 5: 25,316 new cases and 1,165 new deaths

Both new cases and new deaths are down from the previous day. Could this be the inflection point?
                        Unlikely. I suspect it's because yesterday was Sunday, and less tests were done.

Comment

• Posting this without yet having read beyond Page 230...

Speaking as someone who has family and friends with multiple risk factors, and who himself has multiple risk factors (male, weeks away from age 60, BMI 31, HBP, taking ACE inhibitor, chronic cough), I find nothing with which I disagree in this article.

Gist is contained in the title: Accepting 2 million deaths may be better than lockdown.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            Posting this without yet having read beyond Page 230...

Speaking as someone who has family and friends with multiple risk factors, and who himself has multiple risk factors (male, weeks away from age 60, BMI 31, HBP, taking ACE inhibitor, chronic cough), I find nothing with which I disagree in this article.

Gist is contained in the title: Accepting 2 million deaths may be better than lockdown.
                            The manic urge to completely shut down society (an urge primarily on the left) over a virus which may or may not be more potent than the flu, and which may or may not kill hundreds of thousands vs. millions from the economic consequences really makes you wonder the intent behind it all.

Comment

• Fauci is the enemy.

At this point, I still agree with Tucker that Fauci's main problem is his narrow focus. But it's becoming increasingly clear that his instinct for solving problems is statism. Plus, he's been way too dismissive and resistant toward hydroxychloroquine.

It's time for Bad Orange Man to recruit some new members for the Task Force -- maybe Dr. David Katz, Dr. John Ioannidis, and Dr. Stephen Smith -- and put them in front of the camera, while Fauci stands back grimacing and rolling his eyes.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

So this is a tangent to this thread, and I'm not going to engage in a back and forth about it, but OBP's post and my response has been rumbling around in my head as I clean the garage and prepare for tomorrow's trip. On December 9th, 2018, my two sons got into a fight that escalated more than it should have and ended up with one of them at the emergency room to get a badly bruised and possibly broken arm looked at. My wife and I were traveling at the time and I reacted to the call and the news by first addressing the immediate need, and then going down to the bar and getting drunk. I was so drunk that I apparently came back to the room and passed out on the bathroom floor. The entire event from going down to the bar until I awoke the next morning in my bed is not in my memories - so I had a blackout. My wife told me all that happened rather matter-of-factly and without accusation. On December 10th, I made the decision that I was abusing alcohol and it had to stop. I did not, and frankly do not, know if I was/am an alcoholic, but I had no desire to do the "AA" thing. So I told my wife I would stop drinking completely - no exceptions - and if I failed to keep that promise to myself, I would start a formal recovery process. I've been sober since and it frankly has not been a major effort.

It dawns on me that I have a similar problem with respect to trolling. Responding to trolls is a form of addiction. Not being able to resist correcting a misrepresentation or outright lie (and some do it so frequently I no longer think it is unintentional) is a form of pride and is also a form of addiction. I am clearly capable of trolling, given that is what I was doing to MM for several pages in this very thread. And I do not enjoy that part of me anymore than I enjoy the part of me that is capable of getting blindingly drunk.

So I'm going to make the same commitment now that I made to my wife. I'm going to stop responding to trolls, lies, and misrepresentation, and keep the conversation about the issues. While it is tempting to simply identify individuals that it is no longer worth responding to, people are not bottles of booze. The alcohol never changes - but people can and I'd like to think everyone is capable of changing their behavior. So I'm not going to avoid anyone who trolls - I simply am not going to respond to any post that has elected to take the insulting, condescending, name-calling, trolling, personal-attack path and will limit myself to those interested in serious discussions about the issues.

And as with the alcohol - if I cannot keep that promise, I'm going to admit that I cannot handle this place without devolving being a troll myself and bid ya'll goodbye.

Let's see if that sticks as well as the commitment to stop drinking.
                                Dude, forget about responding to trolls, you ARE a troll. You even admitted it to MM.

Comment