Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    when have I fawned over Trump? I have repeatedly said I don't like the guy, that he is a narcissist. I have even said that I wish he would just stop talking at the press conferences because all he does is ramble on and on repeating himself and saying things that are wrong.
    And you've repeatedly said that you wish it was Pence and not Trump who was POTUS.

But with this crowd if you aren't trying to top one another saying "Orange Man Bad!! smiley fist shake.gif" you're obviously a fawning trumper.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      I'm not sure I know anyone who makes more than $50K per year. Maybe a few.
      It is very possible to live comfortably on $50,000 a year or less. You just have to manage your money and avoid debt. You may not have the biggest house or fanciest car, but you won't be broke and hungry. Debt is what gets most people in trouble.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

when have I fawned over Trump? I have repeatedly said I don't like the guy, that he is a narcissist. I have even said that I wish he would just stop talking at the press conferences because all he does is ramble on and on repeating himself and saying things that are wrong.
        I'll accept your word on this - but all I can tell you is that all I see is defense of his every move and support for every statement that gets challenged. I have never seen you say "you're right, that was a stupid thing to say" or "he lied about that." What comes across is fawning, unquestioning support.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        But he is deferring to the experts on this. While he might be a jackass on TV, he is letting the people who know what they are doing actually do it. I think the CDC, Fauci, and the others are doing everything they can and responding in an appropriate fashion. When Trump was thinking about lifting the restrictions by Easter, they were the ones who convinced him not to, and he listened.
        He defers on some things, as I noted - and he eventually acts on the advice. But time is our enemy here and the time it takes to overcome the Trump ego is, IMO, costing lives.

But your constant blaming Trump for everything and expecting him to have been a prophet and had this thing wiped out single handedly before it even started is unrealistic.
        Never have I said Trump is responsible for everything going bad... nor have I expected him to be a prophet single-handedly wiping this out, so you are building a strawman of your own imagining, and I have no further response.

You are viewing this with hindsight. At the time, China was telling people it wasn't transmittable between humans, then they played down the severity. It was in the middle of February before the CDC realized it was out in the wild and was spreading like crazy. By that time, Trump had already stopped flights from China and then Europe shortly after. Only later did they realize the shortages of PPE and ventilators and they began working on that, which takes time.
        And your calendar problem re-emerges. At this point, I'm tired of correcting your misperceptions about what my arguments actually are. I'm beginning to think you do this on purpose so you can continue ranting and I spend all my time trying to correct your significant misperceptions of what I am actually saying.

So I see the administration and the CDC as having done as best a job as they could with what they have. The only thing I am upset about is the lying by the CDC about face masks. But I bet if they said that masks were useful but we need to keep them for healthcare workers, they would have been hoarded like TP.
        And I am upset about the constant stream of lies coming from Mr. Trump, his turning what should be crisis news briefings into his own person campaign platform, his lack of responsiveness to specific things (e.g., manufacturing, inter-state logistics, proper messaging, etc.). He is screwing up more than he is acting well - and people are dying.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Most of the stuff on your list would be unconstitutional.
          And if Trump tried to do anything you can bet your bottom dollar that carpe would be among the first to be screaming that he's a wannabe dictator who needs to be impeached.

Everything on your list that could be done has been done.
          Kinda like Joe Biden when he talks about what he would do if president and then proceeds to rattle off all things that Trump had done.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
            I'm assuming you're speaking facetiously?
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Most of the stuff on your list would be unconstitutional. As far as tracking, that is up to the CDC not Trump and they were doing it at first then they stopped and put their resources into fighting the disease instead of tracking it. They got the testing and equipment going as fast as they could (you seem to forget this is only a month into when it all started in this country) -- and SK is about the size of one of our states and there is no way to do what they did on the scale of a nation the size of the USA. Johns Hopkins published a tracking map based on the CDC's reporting of cases so that has been done too.

Everything on your list that could be done has been done.

I am sick and tired of you pissant armchair quarterbacks using this crisis to just attack Trump some more, when the attacks against Trump was one of the factors in this entire country being distracted by the Impeachment fiasco in the first place. We need to stop pointing fingers and work together, and that includes the government itself.
              It's like:

"Why doesn't Trump do X, Y, and Z?"
              "He already has."
              "Well, why didn't he do it sooner?"
              "He did."
              "Oh yeah? Well then why didn't he predict the future three years ago and plan for this exact scenario, huh?"

For that matter, if this was so easily predicted as liberals are now claiming, then why weren't individual states better prepared? Why did Gov. Cuomo, for instance, refuse to stock up on ventilators two-years ago when he was given the opportunity?

No, I guess it's all Trump's fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                It's like:

"Why doesn't Trump do X, Y, and Z?"
                "He already has."
                "Well, why didn't he do it sooner?"
                "He did."
                "Oh yeah? Well then why didn't he predict the future three years ago and plan for this exact scenario, huh?"

For that matter, if this was so easily predicted as liberals are now claiming, then why weren't individual states better prepared? Why did Gov. Cuomo, for instance, refuse to stock up on ventilators two-years ago when he was given the opportunity?

No, I guess it's all Trump's fault.
                Liberal logic:

“Trump is a wannabe dictator!”

Also liberals:

“Trump needs to take unconstitutional actions, to stop this virus!”

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  “Trump is a wannabe dictator!”
                  True.

“Trump needs to take unconstitutional actions, to stop this virus!”

Trump modas operendi is unconstitutional actions, but they do not affect the coronavirus.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                    TAKE THAT, USA...

Coronavirus: North Korea claims to be 'totally free' of virus

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52146989
                    Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    The fact that you have to ask supports my theorem that a sincere expression of liberalism is often indistinguishable from sarcasm.

Comment

• Dr. Fauci:

[In] early January…it became clear that what the Chinese had claimed originally, that this was just a virus that jumped from an animal reservoir to a human, and wasn’t being transmitted from human to human, well, it became very clear pretty quickly that that was not the case. … And when the numbers started coming in as to what the morbidity and the mortality was, it was during that period in early to mid-January that it became clear to me that this was not just another SARS, it wasn’t another MERS, or Middle East Respiratory Syndrome.

I don’t think anything would have prevented the spread of this virus. Once it emerged into society, with its capability of efficient spread and morbidity and mortality, that was it. But what could have been different…is that, if we had known that this was highly transmissible early on, when it was just in China, I think other countries would have maybe been more quick on the trigger to try and inhibit travel from China to their country. … So, that delay in transparency, I think, likely had an impact on what I just said, the awareness that this could seed the rest of the world.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2020...icting-travel/

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        True.

Trump modas operendi is unconstitutional actions, but they do not affect the coronavirus.
                        It was the Obamessiah that has had more of his actions overturned by the courts than any other president. You know, the same guy who would frankly admit that he lacked the authority to do something and then go ahead and do it anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          True.
                          Thanks for the perfect example of what I was talking about.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            It was the Obamessiah that has had more of his actions overturned by the courts than any other president.
                            More precisely, the Supreme Court. The Trump administration has lost in the lower courts quite a number of times only for those rulings to be overturned by a higher court.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              It was the Obamessiah that has had more of his actions overturned by the courts than any other president. You know, the same guy who would frankly admit that he lacked the authority to do something and then go ahead and do it anyway.
                              Wrong again Sherlock. First off some of those cases had nothing to do with presidential authority, and furthermore almost all of the cases originated under, and were 1st litigated by the Bush Administration. I'm sure that you, MM, and Lilpix, were just as critical of the Bush Administration against whom the cases were originally brought to court? Right?

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                Shhhhh... Sparko hasn't figured that out yet....

Comment