Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    According to CDC more than 1/3 of cases are age 44 and younger.

And what RWNJ always ignore is the fact that *many* who survive suffer from permanent health issues, such as kidney / lung damage and the like. Many don't die but also don't just "get better."
    Reading is hard:

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    And that doesn’t tell me the age breakdown. Are younger people getting it at the same rate, but being asymptomatic or have less severe symptoms? That’s an important detail to know because most of the lab confirmed cases come from those over 65, with 88% confirmed cases being over 55 and 93% of all deaths are 55 or older. Other countries show a similar pattern, so we really need to know the age group breakdown.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisiona...nd-S/9bhg-hcku
    Note I said confirmed cases (as in those confirmed in a lab). Try again.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Reading is hard:

Note I said confirmed cases (as in those confirmed in a lab). Try again.
      Reading *is* hard (well, for RWNJs).

1) Your link is a deaths breakdown, not a cases breakdown.
      2) You wrote (in the actual message I replied to)

My previous links tells the story. Over 90% of deaths and 85% of confirmed cases belong to those over 55 (most of those, were in Hospice care or Nursing homes). This isn’t an assertion, but an established fact. Meaning we need to protect those most at risk and allow everyone else to somewhat return to normal.
      My link is to the CDC data on *confirmed cases* (as in those confirmed in a lab).

Sheesh

Comment

Reading *is* hard (well, for RWNJs).

1) Your link is a deaths breakdown, not a cases breakdown.
        2) You wrote (in the actual message I replied to)

My link is to the CDC data on *confirmed cases* (as in those confirmed in a lab).

Sheesh
        Deaths involving Covid 19 - 85% over the age of 55. Looks confirmed.

How many people have it, but don’t have any signs?

As many as 50%, but 25% seems most common:
        https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...are-have-virus

How many have a severe reaction?
        Around 15%, mostly those already older or with serious health conditions.

Thus, protect elders or sick, and start working on reopening things for the rest.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Deaths involving Covid 19 - 85% over the age of 55. Looks confirmed.
          But what you wrote was

As of now, 88% of confirmed China Flu positives and 92% of all deaths come from those 55 or over,
          and

Over 90% of deaths and 85% of confirmed cases belong to those over 55 (most of those, were in Hospice care or Nursing homes).
          and

Note I said confirmed cases (as in those confirmed in a lab)
          So you were clearly referencing positive cases, not deaths.

I know, reading and riting is hard when you're an RWNJ. I promise not to tell your friends if I catch you doing some book larnin'.

How many have a severe reaction?
          Around 15%, mostly those already older or with serious health conditions.

Thus, protect elders or sick, and start working on reopening things for the rest.
          Maybe so, but that wasn't what *I* responded to. I know, I know, reeding is hard.

Comment

• Right-wing (they can’t help themselves) nut job, “Trump of the Tropics” Bolsonaro, is making a hash of it, as expected.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• USA number one:

US No. 1.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                USA number one:
                It looks a lot better when adjusted for population size. The important bit is whether the death rate is going up or coming down, although the lag is several weeks after the introduction or relaxation of control measures. You would not be able to drive a car with that much lag.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

My previous links tells the story. Over 90% of deaths and 85% of confirmed cases belong to those over 55 (most of those, were in Hospice care or Nursing homes). This isn’t an assertion, but an established fact. Meaning we need to protect those most at risk and allow everyone else to somewhat return to normal.
                  So first, I don't see a link in your response to me. Second, I didn't say the elderly weren't significantly more impacted - I added information that was not in your post. This response does nothing to deal with that information. You are looking at one demographic without looking at the rest. Finally, when the rest of us "return to normal," we are putting those populations at higher risk. This is the population that most needs support from the rest of us, but we put them at risk if we have not done everything we can to reduce the spread of the virus in the general population.

We have three months of data to confirm what I said. Check yourself. There’s been over 4000 confirmed cases of the China flu in infants. 4 have died, making it less deadly than the flu, for infants. Yes, we need science and that’s what the science says. Protect older Americans and the critically sick, allow the rest to slowly return to normal.
                  None of this information is wrong. It simply doesn't address the issue. You acting as if the world is a set of discrete population where what happens in one population has no impact on any other population. That is simply not true. Indeed, the data seems to show that the virus gets INTO those senior homes due to the presence of the virus in the outside population. Nurses and doctors need to work there. These locations have janitorial staffs, deliveries from outside vendors, and the list goes on. These are all being ignored by your overly simplistic model.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• The, off his trolley, POTUS, is taking Hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic, we hear.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      The, off his trolley, POTUS, is taking Hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic, we hear.
                      Supposedly once a day for a week and a half, If you can believe him.

Comment

But what you wrote was

and

and

So you were clearly referencing positive cases, not deaths.

I know, reading and riting is hard when you're an RWNJ. I promise not to tell your friends if I catch you doing some book larnin'.

Maybe so, but that wasn't what *I* responded to. I know, I know, reeding is hard.
                        I’ll admit that I misread the chart, too bad it doesn’t make my point go away that those in the biggest danger of dying from the China flu are those 55 and over, with health conditions.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          So first, I don't see a link in your response to me. Second, I didn't say the elderly weren't significantly more impacted - I added information that was not in your post. This response does nothing to deal with that information. You are looking at one demographic without looking at the rest. Finally, when the rest of us "return to normal," we are putting those populations at higher risk. This is the population that most needs support from the rest of us, but we put them at risk if we have not done everything we can to reduce the spread of the virus in the general population.
                          I’ve looked at all the demographics Carp. Those in the most danger of death are older Americans or those with serious health conditions. Current estimates say 25-50% of all cases have little to no signs and symptoms with around 5-10% of the population (with as much as 20% in some areas) have already had it. Depending on what one you believe, thatÂ’s .5% to .27% death rate. Higher than the Seasonal flu (.13-.17% on most years), but not nearly as bad as the Spanish flu with a smaller part of the population at serious risk of dying or developing serious complications. Reality is, more and more of the population is done as lockdowns extend further and further.

None of this information is wrong. It simply doesn't address the issue. You acting as if the world is a set of discrete population where what happens in one population has no impact on any other population. That is simply not true. Indeed, the data seems to show that the virus gets INTO those senior homes due to the presence of the virus in the outside population. Nurses and doctors need to work there. These locations have janitorial staffs, deliveries from outside vendors, and the list goes on. These are all being ignored by your overly simplistic model.
                          As I pointed out above, 25-50% of those who caught the China flu, don’t know they have it and never had a clue they did (the CDC estimated 25% while others say 50%). So guess what? Screening where you check temperatures, ask for flu like symptoms, institute lockdowns, etc are worthless because as much as half of all people slip under the radar, even under the strictest lockdowns. The only way to really protect those likely to die is through testing all staff and visitors and keeping all diagnosed out, even than you likely won’t save everyone. Hate to tell you this, but locking up the majority of the population is unlikely to stop it.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I’ve looked at all the demographics Carp. Those in the most danger of death are older Americans or those with serious health conditions. Current estimates say 25-50% of all cases have little to no signs and symptoms with around 5-10% of the population (with as much as 20% in some areas) have already had it. Depending on what one you believe, thatÂ’s .5% to .27% death rate. Higher than the Seasonal flu (.13-.17% on most years), but not nearly as bad as the Spanish flu with a smaller part of the population at serious risk of dying or developing serious complications. Reality is, more and more of the population is done as lockdowns extend further and further.
                            Sources for these claims, please?

As I pointed out above, 25-50% of those who caught the China flu, don’t know they have it and never had a clue they did (the CDC estimated 25% while others say 50%). So guess what? Screening where you check temperatures, ask for flu like symptoms, institute lockdowns, etc are worthless because as much as half of all people slip under the radar, even under the strictest lockdowns. The only way to really protect those likely to die is through testing all staff and visitors and keeping all diagnosed out, even than you likely won’t save everyone. Hate to tell you this, but locking up the majority of the population is unlikely to stop it.
                            No one said "stop it," Pix. The operative term is "mitigate." Until there is a vaccine, mitigation is the best we have. That means masks, social distancing, proper hygiene, and is highly dependent on testing (which we are still falling short on).

The situation is often posed as a false dichotomy: lockdown versus reopen. The reality is a continuum. Lockdown brings risk of death due to economic and emotional factors. Reopening brings risk due to the virus. Lockdown for a long period of time and you minimize virus risks but maximize deaths due to lockdown-related factors. Lockdown for too short a period of time and you maximize virus risks but minimize deaths due to lockdown-related factors. There is a point of crossover between these two which is essentially impossible to predict.

Ergo - there is only one viable approach: establish careful, systematic, data-guided reopening criteria, and track infections as well as deaths due to both factors - then adjust reopening in light of the data - reopening slower or even reversing direction if virus-related deaths surge and lockdown-related deaths do not, and reopening faster if lockdown-related deaths surge and virus-related deaths do not. We have the tools for doing this. What is missing is effective leadership to put the tools in place and ensure they are used.

Instead, we have politicians (and private individuals) playing partisan games, encouraging whatever faction that most aligns with their "base" and denigrating "the other side." The inevitable results of that will be needless deaths.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I’ll admit that I misread the chart, too bad it doesn’t make my point go away that those in the biggest danger of dying from the China flu are those 55 and over, with health conditions.
                              It means you should be a little more careful before throwing around "reading is hard" and such extreme snark towards those who are clearly your intellectual betters. RWNJs are just so unfathomably lazy and want all the credibility and accolades for hard intellectual work but are totally unwilling to lift a finger to accomplish those things.

Do better and be more humble.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                we have politicians (and private individuals) playing partisan games, encouraging whatever faction that most aligns with their "base" and denigrating "the other side." The inevitable results of that will be needless deaths.
                                I'm pretty sure that particular ship sailed a while ago...

Comment