Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
    The latest numbers I got:

March 31: 24,742 new cases and 912 new deaths
    April 1: 26,473 new cases and 1,049 new deaths
    April 2: 29,874 new cases and 968 new deaths

The # of new cases is still accelerating but # of new deaths seem to have slowed down. Anomaly, hopefully not...we might see a turnaround. The next 2-3 days will clarify.
    April 3: 28,900 new cases and 958 new deaths.

Both new cases and new deaths slowing down.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedmprig View Post
      That was the very reason there was a global health team at the director level in the White House - because we came close to this kind of problem with the 2008/2009 pandemic and there was no desire for that to play out again. But, of course, if Obama did it - it must be bad...so take it apart.
      Why am I not surprised to see you still promoting that lie? Both Breitbart and the Associated Press debunked this narrative weeks ago.

Some public health experts say a bigger concern than White House budgets is the steady erosion of a CDC grant program for state and local public health emergency preparedness — the front lines in detecting and battling new disease. But that decline was set in motion by a congressional budget measure that predates Trump.

The broader point about there being “nobody here” to coordinate the response sells short what’s in place to handle an outbreak.

The public health system has a playbook to follow for pandemic preparation — regardless of who’s president or whether specific instructions are coming from the White House. Those plans were put into place in anticipation of another flu pandemic, but are designed to work for any respiratory-borne disease.

So, yes, we were ready, and, yes, the White House took action very early. According to Dr. Fauci, one of the experts you say we should all be listening to: "One of the things we did right was very early cut off travel from China to the United States. Because outside of China, where it originated, the countries in the world that have it are through travel, either directly from China or indirectly from someone who went someplace and then came to that particular country. Our shutting off travel from China and, more recently, travel from Europe, has gone a long way to not seeding very, very intensively the virus in our country.

Now go find some "SCARY! " numbers to whoop and holler about and stop spreading lies about your President.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Because February 17th is not March 16th. You might want to familiarize yourself with a little thing called calendar? It would make this discussion so much better.

February 17th: 13 cases, no community spread, AFAIK, zero deaths.
        February 24th: 51 cases, community spread starting, zero deaths
        March 2nd: 98 cases, extensive community spread, 6 deaths
        March 9th: 583 cases, widespread community spread, 26 deaths
        March 16th: 4700 cases, exponential growth evident, 87 deaths

Now for Trump:

February 27th: it will disappear (58 cases)
        March 2: we'll vaccines relatively soon (actually, experts pretty unified on 12-18 months)
        March 6: that's CNN fake news (in response to what do you say to people who are saying that you are not taking this seriously enough?)
        March 8: announcement that political rallies will continue (Carson affirms there is no reason not to go on public TV)
        March 10: "it's all really working out." (and that's the day Pence defended shaking hands)
        March 13: Trump rejects any responsibility for the situation
        March 15: "We have tremendous control over it"

It was not until March 17 that Trump even acknowledged it was a pandemic, AFAICT.

THAT is why I fault Trump for his response.
        Yes Tramp was overly positive but after all experts like Fauci said the risk was minuscule to the American people. As late as Feb.17. So your whole "nobody expected this lie" thing was bull crap, even our top Infectious Disease Doctor didn't see this as a US pandemic.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Anticipating similar viruses and being ready to handle this virus are not the same thing.
          As Mike Tyson famously said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Or if you prefer an historical example, Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke (yeah, I had to look that one up ) said, "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy."

Look at coastal cities that frequently get hit by hurricanes. They know exactly what to expect, have recent experience dealing with the aftermath of a big storm, and yet they seem like they're caught off guard every single time. Planning only gets you so far, and quite often not very far. After that. it's all about reacting to a fast changing situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
            April 3: 28,900 new cases and 958 new deaths.

Both new cases and new deaths slowing down.
            Where are you getting your numbers? I've been tracking the Johns Hopkins numbers and set my final tally at the same time each night before I go to bed (around 10). Here is what I have for this week:

Date: new cases/new deaths
            March 30: 19,701/558
            March 31: 27,228/759
            April 1: 24,337/857
            April 2: 30,081/1,169
            April 3: 30,427/1,152 (at 6:20 PM, so still 3.5+ hours to go)

As a percentage, there is a drop. The raw numbers are still climbing, especially the deaths.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              Yes Tramp was overly positive but after all experts like Fauci said the risk was minuscule to the American people. As late as Feb.17. So your whole "nobody expected this lie" thing was bull crap, even our top Infectious Disease Doctor didn't see this as a US pandemic.
              First- that (the highlighted) is an awesome typo! And I agree!

Second, you appear to still be having a calendar problem. When I am arguing that the failing began around 2/24 and continues to this day, and you keep quoting events from 2/17 (a week before), you clearly are not understanding the argument. I'm not sure how else to explain it to you.

And Trump's "nobody expected this" is nothing more than his attempt to shift blame. A correct statement on his part would be "I wasn't listening to the people who expected this." Despite claims to the contrary, the Trump administration (under Bolton) moved the global health team from having director level leadership to being just another of function of a subgroup of the NSC. Anyone who understands organizational structures understands that a group moved that far down in the pecking order is one that has had its scope and voice curtailed, and is deemed less critical. Why? Because Obama did it, of course, and anything Obama did had to be undone. That has been his priority throughout this administration because the big baby got his poor feelings hurt at a press dinner. He only JUST NOW started actually using the Defense Production Act. It has been error after error, with an occasional attaboy. Meanwhile, every Covid-19 briefing is a mini Trump campaign rally riddled with misinformation.

There is a reason, Seer, why Trump's "bump" due to the national crisis was minimal. On RealClearPolitics he went from his usual -7 all the way to -2.4 where the bump stopped, and now is reversing itself as people realize their leader cannot get past himself. The "rally around the president" effect is over and he was the one who killed it by behaving as he always does. And there is more to come. We'll see what the 10 states not taking this seriously do when their infection rates and deaths continue to grow exponentially.
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-03-2020, 05:33 PM.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• A lot of leaders handled this pandemic much better than Trump - that’s a fact.

It’s time to move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                  A lot of leaders handled this pandemic much better than Trump - that’s a fact.
                  Yeah... like Chairman Xi...

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                  It’s time to move on.

P.S. Sorry, I just HAD to do that. The statement above is intended to be a joke...

Comment

You liberal Pinko commie, you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                      A lot of leaders handled this pandemic much better than Trump - that’s a fact.
                      Not a fact at all.

Well, except to those who are going to criticize the President no matter what he does.

Comment

No South Korea, Japan and Germany.

P.S. Sorry, I just HAD to do that. The statement above is intended to be a joke...
                        Well, ah . . you had to tell a bad joke poor timing.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          No South Korea, Japan and Germany.
                          I haven't followed Japan too closely, but South Korea and Germany I am familiar with. Excellent leadership and logistics!

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          Well, ah . . you had to tell a bad joke poor timing.
                          Everyone's a critic...

Comment

Where are you getting your numbers? I've been tracking the Johns Hopkins numbers and set my final tally at the same time each night before I go to bed (around 10). Here is what I have for this week:

Date: new cases/new deaths
                            March 30: 19,701/558
                            March 31: 27,228/759
                            April 1: 24,337/857
                            April 2: 30,081/1,169
                            April 3: 30,427/1,152 (at 6:20 PM, so still 3.5+ hours to go)

As a percentage, there is a drop. The raw numbers are still climbing, especially the deaths.
                            So it's 10 PM, and my final numbers for the day are 34,375 new cases (up almost 4K from yesterday) and 1,215 new deaths (up 46 from yesterday).

We currently have more cases than the next two most infected countries combined (Italy and Spain) and are on track to have more cases than the next three most infected countries combined )Italy, Spain, and Germany). We're only 54K cases away from that happening, so probably by Monday or Tuesday is my guess. We don't have nearly as many deaths...yet. New York continues to have the most cases and deaths, but the percentage of the total that are from NY is beginning to drop as other areas around the country become hot-spots. Indeed, the ten states with governors who are not taking it all that seriously now have superior growth curves, but they are starting with smaller numbers so it will take a bit for the effect to hit them.

I do wish everyone were taking this seriously and acting on the CDC recommendations - but it is clear that is not going to happen any time soon. Unfortunately, that is going to cost a lot of lives. 1/3 of a 911 is happening now each day, and it looks to become a full 911 (3,000+ deaths) per day as soon as a week from now. That is not trivial...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Well he said basically the same thing on Feb.17:https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ds/4787209002/

So why do you keep jumping on Trump when he was just listening to the expert?
                              Yeah, February 17:when the total number of known cases was just a handful. But you know what the next comment in the article is:

Source: fauci

If that testing shows the virus has slipped into the country in places federal officials don't know about, "we've got a problem," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told USA TODAY's Editorial Board Monday.

© Copyright Original Source

So yeah, at that time, with a handful of known cases and assuming the virus is contained, that was a correct statement. But the reality was that the rampant incompetence of the Trump administration was paving the way for exactly what Fauci said would mean we DO have a problem.

This is yet another brain dead talking point from conservative media pundits intent on finding a scapegoat for Trump's incompetence.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

So it's 10 PM, and my final numbers for the day are 34,375 new cases (up almost 4K from yesterday) and 1,215 new deaths (up 46 from yesterday).
                                My revised numbers (10:30 pm EDT) - 32,284 new cases and 1,321 new deaths. We're still climbing. The numbers are from WORLDOMETER - they give the numbers for every country on the planet. Also states by states, with graphics.

Comment