Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Oh we have already heard the attacks from the right. Why do you think he's got more security?
    I’m sure we’re going to hear your admonishment of Shuny any minute now...
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Oh we have already heard the attacks from the right. Why do you think he's got more security?
      The MSM immediately jumps onto the idea that it must be due to critics on the right but he has more than a few on the left who regard him as Trump's puppet or stooge etc. You can look right here at shuny's posts concerning him. Just more than a little venomous.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        It’s always great to hear the pot screaming how black the kettle is.
        Exactly what I was thinking. Sean should be ashamed of himself... tsk tsk tsk...

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          The MSM immediately jumps onto the idea that it must be due to critics on the right but he has more than a few on the left who regard him as Trump's puppet or stooge etc. You can look right here at shuny's posts concerning him. Just more than a little venomous.
          It’s all about the narrative. You’re supposed to ignore that it was a Bernie bro that tried to assassinate sitting members of Congress.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Actually - I have to withdraw my comment. I thought I had read about the threats coming from the right, but I just went back and all of the reports say that the source of the threats has not been identified at this time. Fauci has been attacked in the media from some of the more far-right media outlets, and I must have conflated that with the other reports. My bad.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I’m sure we’re going to hear your admonishment of Shuny any minute now...
              Not sure why I am supposed to admonish Shuny? I haven't seen any of his posts. If you link the apparently offensive ones, I'll take a look.

Comment

It’s all about the narrative. You’re supposed to ignore that it was a Bernie bro that tried to assassinate sitting members of Congress.
                It's not Democrats, Republicans, liberals, or conservatives that are perpetrating acts of violence - it is extremists. And they exist at both ends of the political spectrum. However, before you throw too many stones, you should look closely at which end of the political spectrum the majority of them reside.

From the Atlantic:

On Wednesday, the Anti-Defamation League released a report finding that attackers with ties to right-wing extremist movements killed at least 50 people in 2018. That was close to the total number of Americans killed by domestic extremists, meaning that the far right had an almost absolute monopoly on lethal terrorism in the United States last year. That monopoly would be total if, in one case, the perpetrator had not “switched from white supremacist to radical Islamist beliefs prior to committing the murder.”

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Comment

• The flu kills between 11K and 64K each year, with an average of about 34K. We are only 2-3 days away from that bottom number, and we will have achieved that horrific milestone in a period of 3 weeks, as compared with a 4-6 month flu season. 8,395 of the 8,452 current deaths have occurred in the last 21 days.

For those still beating the "it's not that serious" drum, I think you should think again.

ETA: and for those who plan to respond with "they are not factoring out those who died from complicating secondary issues," they don't do that for the flu numbers either. So the comparison is apples to apples. Technically, the virus itself does not kill. What kills is usually the bacterial pneumonia that results from the action of the coronavirus.
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-04-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    That depends on where you live. I don't think I could support my family on $50k a year here, and I live in the least developed area near DC. I don't make a whole lot more than that, and my mortgage is essentially half my monthly paycheck.
                    Off topic question - how is the US dealing with rent and mortgage defaults at this time? In Australia we currently have a moratorium on evictions but that’s about it. The banks here have given six month mortgage relief on payments but interest still accrues. One of our tenants have told us they can’t pay rent as they’ve lost their job so I’m supposed to discuss options with them tomorrow and I’m not sure what to do since our other tenant has already paid April’s rent. What arrangements are happening over there? Or anywhere else for that matter.

Comment

And the Dayton shooter last Summer was also a fanboi of Sanders as well as Warren. And in spite of desperate attempts to link the El Paso shooter to Trump he was a leftist as well.

While one needs to twist things into a pretzel in order to blame Trump to any act of violence the left always remains as quiet as a church mouse about all the violence that can be directly linked to liberals and their virulent rhetoric.

Let's start with James Hodgkinson who actually very specifically targeted Republicans[1] before opening fire on them as they practiced for the annual Congressional Baseball Game for Charity. This left wing activist, MSNBC News junkie (notorious for the vitriol directed at Republicans and conservatives) and Bernie Sanders campaign worker who frequently expressed his hatred toward Republicans online, critically wounded House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-Louisiana)[2] as well as wounding four others.

Then there is Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky) who was attacked from behind in his backyard resulting in five rib fractures including 3 displaced fractures as well as lung contusions as he was mowing his lawn by Rene Boucher, a neighbor and supporter of the far-left Occupy movement and who's Facebook account is full of anti-Trump rants[3].

The MSM worked overtime pushing the attackers story that this was all about a property dispute but neighbors of both men (Boucher did not even live next door to Paul) and the neighborhood homeowners association quickly debunked that.

Then there is Rep. David Kustoff (Tennessee) who was nearly run off the road by a stalker, Wendi Wright, who was angry about his vote to repeal and replace Obamacare. She then confronted him when he pulled over screaming, striking the windows on Kustoff's car and even reaching inside the vehicle before finally leaving. She was later arrested after boasting of the confrontation on Facebook and charged with felony reckless endangerment.

Then there is Rudy Peters, who while running against Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-California) in 2018, who was assaulted by a knife-wielding attacker near a vendor's booth at the Castro Valley Fall Festival after the attacker began screaming profanity-laced remarks about the Republican party and Trump and repeatedly shouting "I'll kill you" as he attacked. Fortunately Ford was able to fend of the attacker using one of his election signs. The attacker, Farzad Fazeli, ran off but was later arrested and charged with felony assault, making criminal threats and brandishing a weapon.

Then there is Kristin Davison the campaign manager for Nevada GOP gubernatorial candidate Adam Laxalt who was roughed up by an operative for American Bridge 21st Century, funded by liberal billionaire George Soros, leaving her bruised.

Then, up in Minnesota, two Republicans were physically assaulted by assailants who were angry about their politics. State Rep. Sarah Anderson was punched when she confronted a man kicking down several of her yard signs and Minnesota House District 15b candidate Shane Mekeland was attacked during a campaign event after the assailant accused Republicans of abandoning the middle class. That attack left him with a concussion.

Then in Massachusetts there was Shiva Ayyadurai who was running for Senate against Elizabeth Warren and got punched by one of her supporters.

The MSM has either downplayed or ignored most of these and other actual attacks (the baseball shooting being the notable exception) while constantly bemoaning how Trump's rancorous rhetoric may some day lead to violence. The fact is that, as can be seen above, the venomous rhetoric spewed from the left in a near constant stream has already led to violence. "Comedians" and other "entertainers" have a long and sordid history of making "jokes" or producing songs and the like advocating violence against Republican leaders. And with few exceptions the left rallies in their defense.

And you also have Democrat politicians like Mad Max[ine] Waters (D-Cal) demanding that people "create a crowd and you push back" against Republicans wherever and whenever you see them, calling for in-your-face confrontations as well as encouraging people to mob and harass Trump Administration officials. Likewise presidential hopeful Sen. Cory "I am Spartacus" Booker (D-NJ) urged liberal advocates to "get up in the face of some congresspeople."

And let's not forget Hillary Clinton's declaration that Democrats shouldn't be civil to Republicans unless they win back control of Washington or former Obama Attorney General Eric Holder's mocking of former first lady Michelle Obama's call for civility when he told supporters, "Michelle always says, ‘When they go low, we go high.’ No. No. When they go low, we kick them," he said, adding, "That’s what this Democratic Party’s about."

And not too long ago Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), who was Hillary's running mate, was on MSNBC's Morning Joe telling co-host Mika Brzezinski that Democrats needed to "fight in the streets" in order to combat the Trump Administration.

Apparently that is exactly what Kaine's youngest son "Woody" does as a member of Antifa and who was arrested in Minnesota for taking part in an attack on a pro-Trump rally at the state capitol resulting in the injury of a female Trump supporter and later charged with three misdemeanors. Other charges were dismissed and he made a plea deal resulting in his being sentenced to a year of probation and ordered to pay $236 fine (never hurts to have a powerful politically connected daddy).

Of course aggressive rhetoric of this sort is nothing new and Trump is hardly the first president to employ some. The last occupant of the White House, Barrack Obama was known to employ more than his share of it, saying things like:
                      • "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun."
                      • "argue with your neighbors. Get in their face."
                      • "Punch back twice as hard."

Finally stories about people wearing MAGA hats being physically assaulted have become so common that they barely make the news these days. Heck, even when a man tries to mow down six Trump supporters with his van while they were inside a Republican Party voter registration tent in Jacksonville, Florida this past February, it was ignored by the big three network news shows.

00000000000000ab000-00aaaS8.jpg
                      The bottom right picture shows the perpetrator's
                      vehicle driving away from the scene of the crime

I can not help but be reminded of Jesus' words in Matthew 7:4-5 whenever those on the left or Never Trumpers start trying to play Six Degrees of Separation in their desperate attempts to link Trump with any and every act of violence while their own hands are red with blood.

Scripture Verse: Matt. 7:4-5 ESV

Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

© Copyright Original Source

1. Before the shooting he asked if those out on the field were Republicans or Democrats

2. He was in critical condition for several days as a result of the shooting and was hospitalized for 6 weeks

3. Nancy Pelosi's daughter, who's the chair of the California Democratic Party women’s caucus and political strategist, tweeted about two weeks ago that "Rand Paul's neighbor was right" in support of the violent attack
                      Last edited by rogue06; 04-04-2020, 08:19 PM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I live quite comfortably at $30K/yr. Of course I'm not that into possessions, not needing this or that latest gadget or "must have" item of the year. Of course my place is paid off and I own my car as well which makes a big difference.
                        I could probably live on $30k/yr. if my mortgage were paid off (my mortgage takes half my paycheck). I'm not into the latest thing either, my car is paid off, and I don't have cable. I am supporting 2 additional adults and a toddler at the moment, which isn't cheap.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                          Off topic question - how is the US dealing with rent and mortgage defaults at this time? In Australia we currently have a moratorium on evictions but that’s about it. The banks here have given six month mortgage relief on payments but interest still accrues. One of our tenants have told us they can’t pay rent as they’ve lost their job so I’m supposed to discuss options with them tomorrow and I’m not sure what to do since our other tenant has already paid April’s rent. What arrangements are happening over there? Or anywhere else for that matter.
                          I heard that Trump was requesting a moratorium on evictions but don't know its status.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                            Dunno about mortgages. There is a moratorium on turning off essential services (water, electric, gas) for non-payment.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And the Dayton shooter last Summer was also a fanboi of Sanders as well as Warren. And in spite of desperate attempts to link the El Paso shooter to Trump he was a leftist as well.

While one needs to twist things into a pretzel in order to blame Trump to any act of violence the left always remains as quiet as a church mouse about all the violence that can be directly linked to liberals and their virulent rhetoric.

Let's start with James Hodgkinson who actually very specifically targeted Republicans[1] before opening fire on them as they practiced for the annual Congressional Baseball Game for Charity. This left wing activist, MSNBC News junkie (notorious for the vitriol directed at Republicans and conservatives) and Bernie Sanders campaign worker who frequently expressed his hatred toward Republicans online, critically wounded House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-Louisiana)[2] as well as wounding four others.

Then there is Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky) who was attacked from behind in his backyard resulting in five rib fractures including 3 displaced fractures as well as lung contusions as he was mowing his lawn by Rene Boucher, a neighbor and supporter of the far-left Occupy movement and who's Facebook account is full of anti-Trump rants[3].

The MSM worked overtime pushing the attackers story that this was all about a property dispute but neighbors of both men (Boucher did not even live next door to Paul) and the neighborhood homeowners association quickly debunked that.

Then there is Rep. David Kustoff (Tennessee) who was nearly run off the road by a stalker, Wendi Wright, who was angry about his vote to repeal and replace Obamacare. She then confronted him when he pulled over screaming, striking the windows on Kustoff's car and even reaching inside the vehicle before finally leaving. She was later arrested after boasting of the confrontation on Facebook and charged with felony reckless endangerment.

Then there is Rudy Peters, who while running against Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-California) in 2018, who was assaulted by a knife-wielding attacker near a vendor's booth at the Castro Valley Fall Festival after the attacker began screaming profanity-laced remarks about the Republican party and Trump and repeatedly shouting "I'll kill you" as he attacked. Fortunately Ford was able to fend of the attacker using one of his election signs. The attacker, Farzad Fazeli, ran off but was later arrested and charged with felony assault, making criminal threats and brandishing a weapon.

Then there is Kristin Davison the campaign manager for Nevada GOP gubernatorial candidate Adam Laxalt who was roughed up by an operative for American Bridge 21st Century, funded by liberal billionaire George Soros, leaving her bruised.

Then, up in Minnesota, two Republicans were physically assaulted by assailants who were angry about their politics. State Rep. Sarah Anderson was punched when she confronted a man kicking down several of her yard signs and Minnesota House District 15b candidate Shane Mekeland was attacked during a campaign event after the assailant accused Republicans of abandoning the middle class. That attack left him with a concussion.

Then in Massachusetts there was Shiva Ayyadurai who was running for Senate against Elizabeth Warren and got punched by one of her supporters.

The MSM has either downplayed or ignored most of these and other actual attacks (the baseball shooting being the notable exception) while constantly bemoaning how Trump's rancorous rhetoric may some day lead to violence. The fact is that, as can be seen above, the venomous rhetoric spewed from the left in a near constant stream has already led to violence. "Comedians" and other "entertainers" have a long and sordid history of making "jokes" or producing songs and the like advocating violence against Republican leaders. And with few exceptions the left rallies in their defense.

And you also have Democrat politicians like Mad Max[ine] Waters (D-Cal) demanding that people "create a crowd and you push back" against Republicans wherever and whenever you see them, calling for in-your-face confrontations as well as encouraging people to mob and harass Trump Administration officials. Likewise presidential hopeful Sen. Cory "I am Spartacus" Booker (D-NJ) urged liberal advocates to "get up in the face of some congresspeople."

And let's not forget Hillary Clinton's declaration that Democrats shouldn't be civil to Republicans unless they win back control of Washington or former Obama Attorney General Eric Holder's mocking of former first lady Michelle Obama's call for civility when he told supporters, "Michelle always says, ‘When they go low, we go high.’ No. No. When they go low, we kick them," he said, adding, "That’s what this Democratic Party’s about."

And not too long ago Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), who was Hillary's running mate, was on MSNBC's Morning Joe telling co-host Mika Brzezinski that Democrats needed to "fight in the streets" in order to combat the Trump Administration.

Apparently that is exactly what Kaine's youngest son "Woody" does as a member of Antifa and who was arrested in Minnesota for taking part in an attack on a pro-Trump rally at the state capitol resulting in the injury of a female Trump supporter and later charged with three misdemeanors. Other charges were dismissed and he made a plea deal resulting in his being sentenced to a year of probation and ordered to pay $236 fine (never hurts to have a powerful politically connected daddy).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43975[/ATTACH]

Of course aggressive rhetoric of this sort is nothing new and Trump is hardly the first president to employ some. The last occupant of the White House, Barrack Obama was known to employ more than his share of it, saying things like:
                              • "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun."
                              • "argue with your neighbors. Get in their face."
                              • "Punch back twice as hard."

Finally stories about people wearing MAGA hats being physically assaulted have become so common that they barely make the news these days. Heck, even when a man tries to mow down six Trump supporters with his van while they were inside a Republican Party voter registration tent in Jacksonville, Florida this past February, it was ignored by the big three network news shows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43976[/ATTACH]
                              The bottom right picture shows the perpetrator's
                              vehicle driving away from the scene of the crime

I can not help but be reminded of Jesus' words in Matthew 7:4-5 whenever those on the left or Never Trumpers start trying to play Six Degrees of Separation in their desperate attempts to link Trump with any and every act of violence while their own hands are red with blood.

Scripture Verse: Matt. 7:4-5 ESV

Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

© Copyright Original Source

1. Before the shooting he asked if those out on the field were Republicans or Democrats

2. He was in critical condition for several days as a result of the shooting and was hospitalized for 6 weeks

3. Nancy Pelosi's daughter, who's the chair of the California Democratic Party women’s caucus and political strategist, tweeted about two weeks ago that "Rand Paul's neighbor was right" in support of the violent attack
                              Now - if you are truly non-partisan, find and list all of the attacks from right-wing extremists to go along with this list. 49 out of 50 deaths in 2018 from the right side of the political spectrum. I haven't seen the numbers for 2019, but I hardly imagine they're that different. Here's a brief list with some statistics to get you going.

Or do you just like to find the ones that confirm your own narrative...?

I repeat - it is not liberals, conservatives, Republicans, or Democrats who practice political violence - it is extremists; and they exist on both sides.
                              Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-04-2020, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• And THAT's what I mean by "we're all in this together. Way to go Mr. Tsai!

Maybe, with everyone pitching in, we can fill in the gap in leadership at the top.

Comment