Page 209 of 388 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 3871

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Can you imagine what these numbers would look like if 80+% of the U.S. were NOT practicing social distancing and other mitigation efforts?
    Like stopping flights from other infected countries and closing our borders.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Like stopping flights from other infected countries and closing our borders.
    Yes - that is part of an overall mitigation strategy. It is a minimal effort. It is not enough.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    For those comparing this to the flu, and still asking "how serious can it be?" consider the following. In a very bad flu season, the U.S. experiences some 60,000 deaths. Last year it was just above 34,000. The flue season begins in November, climbs through December, peaks for January and February, and then begins to decline through March and April. If we assume that, in the worst season, ALL of the flu deaths occur in February and January, the death rate would average about 1,000 per day in the worst year. This is with vaccines but without social distancing.

U.S. deaths due to Covid-19 look as follows:

• March 23 - 141
    • March 24 - 225
    • March 25 - 247
    • March 26 - 268
    • March 27 - 400
    • March 28 - 525
    • March 29 - 363
    • March 30 - 558
    • March 31 - 759
    • April 1 ---- 857

The predictions, right now, are for peak in 2 weeks. Can you imagine what these numbers would look like if 80+% of the U.S. were NOT practicing social distancing and other mitigation efforts? Any questions as to how serious this is should long since have ended, IMO.
    Mortality in the US is @ 2.4%, up from 1.5% March 19.
    Likewise:

Germany: 0.25% -> 1.2%
    Italy: 8.3% -> 11.9%
    Spain: 5.02% -> 9.07%
    France: 3.38% ->7.07%
    UK: 4.41% -> 8.6%
    S.Korea: 1.09% -> 1.7%

Anybody going down? Well, Ironically Iran, though not by much: 7.29% -> 6.26%

But the reality is, almost all nations with significant outbreaks are seeing rises in death rates.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-02-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Anybody going down? Well, Ironically Iran, though not by much: 7.29% -> 6.26%
    And we believe Iran why?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

5. Amen Mountain Man, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here's a funny little statistic. The 15 richest people in the U.S. are sitting on $870B in wealth. In the U.S. today:

• 70M people earn less than $25K/year
    • 45M earn $25-50K/year
    • 34M earn 50-100K/year

If we assume the average for each group is near the median (probably a high assumption actually), these 15 people could pay the salaries of everyone of these Americans for two months and then have to get by on a measly $1B each. If we factor in that not all of these people are unemployed, and we add in the next 85 richest people, we might even get half a year!

What do you say, top 0.1% - time to step up? After all - you made a substantial percentage of those riches on the backs of those very people!

ETA: I have to admit, it came as a bit of a shock that 115M people in the U.S. are living on less than $50K per year, 70M of them below 25K.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No - MM is wrong, and so is Pix, and so are you. I predicted it. I expected it. I anticipated it would be needed before people would wake up to the travesty in the Oval Office. But I never wanted it. That is MM's and Pix's lie they have been pushing forward for a while now. I hope you don't descend to that level.

As for referencing this post please feel free to. It says what it says: we will all be (are?) facing some amount of pain to get this man out of office. My one mistake was to use the word "accept." I don't think anyone should be "accepting" this - but we will all have to face it.

Frankly, I was expecting economic pain mostly, and I predicted he would be sending our sons and daughters to a major war. I had no clue his shortcomings would intersect with such a crisis in such a way. I suspect someone with a bit more inside knowledge of the state of our healthcare and changes in diseases probably could have predicted it. Clearly some people have been warning about this for years.

And Norrin's post is sad. She may be willing to accept a few million deaths, but I wonder if she would still be willing to if those deaths were sons, daughters, grandchildren, sisters, and friends. I found her post sad and selfish in the extreme.
    The only way to interpret your response to NorrinRad (who's a he btw) is that you agreed that the economic consequences would be extremely bad, which is what NorrinRad's point was, and felt it necessary in order to prevent Trump's reelection (which I don't think will happen since the Dems are too fractured within their own party). You're a partisan scumbag. You claimed the economic chaos and suffering is what we have to "accept" in order to fulfill your political desire. The post was a plain as day and I'm going to hold you to it.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

8. Amen Mountain Man, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    The only way to interpret your response to NorrinRad (who's a he btw) is that you agreed that the economic consequences would be extremely bad, which is what NorrinRad's point was,
    Yes - I agree with this point, and thanks for reminding me about Norrin. For some reason, I keep mentally picturing him as a her, despite being reminded of this before...

and felt it necessary in order to prevent Trump's reelection (which I don't think will happen since the Dems are too fractured within their own party).
    No. I felt is was likely, and perhaps even inevitable. I do not think it is necessary or desirable.

You're a partisan scumbag.
    Nicely done, Sean. Congratulations on maintaining a civil discussion... (and yes, that's sarcasm).

You claimed the economic chaos and suffering is what we have to "accept" in order to fulfill your political desire. The post was a plain as day and I'm going to hold you to it.
    As I said, "accept" was the one word I would probably probably change to "face" because I really don't want to have to accept any of this. That our country, and the Republican Party in particular, has sunk so far from its ideals is a matter of some sadness to me, regardless what MM or Pix may be spreading around about me.

Now - I've been chatting with several people and frankly lost track of this discussion - so I'm not sure if I have said "last word" before, but I'm saying it now - especially given your apparent need to descend into name calling. Last word to you...

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes - I agree with this point, and thanks for reminding me about Norrin. For some reason, I keep mentally picturing him as a her, despite being reminded of this before...

No. I felt is was likely, and perhaps even inevitable. I do not think it is necessary or desirable.

Nicely done, Sean. Congratulations on maintaining a civil discussion... (and yes, that's sarcasm).

As I said, "accept" was the one word I would probably probably change to "face" because I rally don't want to have to accept any of this. That our country, and the Republican Party in particular, has sunk so far from its ideals is a matter of some sadness to me, regardless what MM or Pix may be spreading around about me.

Now - I've been chatting with several and frankly lost track of this discussion - so I'm not sure if I have said "last word" before, but I'm saying now - especially given your apparent need to descend into name calling.
    "Accept" is the term you initially used because that's the term you meant. Don't try and weasel out of it now by changing what you meant to say. As I said, your post in the context of what NorrinRadd said was plain as day, and I'm going to hold you to it. And Trump probably won't be removed, btw, because the Dem party is currently in chaos if you didn't notice. They have an old geezer as a front runner suffering dementia and another old geezer who refuses to step down even though he's soundly defeated in the primaries and a rather large following of youngans who refuse to vote for anyone other than him (and who might just swing to Trump out of spite). Good luck with that. So your desire for suffering may all be for naught anyway.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    At least the looters are wearing face masks...

https://www.the-sun.com/news/626544/...hops-lockdown/

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    At least the looters are wearing face masks...

https://www.the-sun.com/news/626544/...hops-lockdown/
    If they are guilty...throw the book at them...