Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    No there isn't.
    Yes there is.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• NBA has postponed the season. That's kind of major.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
        NBA has postponed the season. That's kind of major.
        They've suspended it until further notice. Rudy Gobert, who plays for the Utah Jazz, has' preliminarily tested positive' for coronavirus. Yes, it is major.
        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Practically speaking, we need to have ways that people who live paycheck to paycheck don't feel like they have to go into work sick and expose the public, or else end up homeless. Pence has been talking about some plans to support people in quarantines with short term financial help.
          I have been in that situation myself and admit that I have had to go to work while contagious with the flu multiple times. Most of the jobs I've had in my life so far have not been the sort that have sick pay, or even look kindly on not showing up to work for any excuse at all. When it's a choice between A. being miserable at work/paying the bills, and B. being miserable at home/not paying the bills, you go to work.

I think that helping people stay home if they're contagious with this is the smart move.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

• While there is panic about the coronavirus pandemic, e.g. panic buying toilet paper, there is also 'It's no big deal' disregard of the seriousness of the situation. Both responses are dangerous, and wrong.

Pointing to the death rate and saying 'it's no worse than a bad flu' is incorrect (it's about 10x more fatal). The Spanish flu pandemic had a mortality rate of about 2-3%, infected about 30% of the world population (in 1918) and killed about 25-39 million (estimated, higher estimates are up to 100 million). The impact of the coronavirus pandemic will depend on how many people get infected. If (as some estimates say) 60% of the world's population eventually get the virus, that is a death toll of about 100 million, directly from virus infection, given a 2% mortality rate. Therefore containment measures are one of the main factors in determining the impact.

(A) Panic mode

It's wrong because the outbreaks can be minimised and kept under some degree of control if countries (and individual people in them) adopt suitable measures to reduce the rate of transmission. People panicking and acting irrationally doesn't help this.

Originally posted by WHO
            We cannot say this loudly enough, or clearly enough, or often enough: all countries can still change the course of this pandemic.

If countries detect, test, treat, isolate, trace, and mobilize their people in the response, those with a handful of cases can prevent those cases becoming clusters, and those clusters becoming community transmission.

Even those countries with community transmission or large clusters can turn the tide on this virus.

Several countries have demonstrated that this virus can be suppressed and controlled.

The challenge for many countries who are now dealing with large clusters or community transmission is not whether they can do the same – it’s whether they will.

Some countries are struggling with a lack of capacity.

Some countries are struggling with a lack of resources.

Some countries are struggling with a lack of resolve.

(B) No big deal mode

It's wrong because a large-scale virus outbreak where you live will have significant impacts on your life. Your chances of dying are about 2%, less if you're young, in good health, more if you're over 60, obese, have respiratory issues or hypertension. That's dying - of those who recover, some may suffer subsequent health issues, as well as possible recurrence / re-infection.

Apart from the direct risks to your personal health, and those of people close to you (particularly, elderly people), there are the indirect risks.

If there is a large outbreak, health care facilities will be overwhelmed with people needing treatment for coronavirus (viz: Italy). The death rate in those areas will increase, as people who could recover if treated can't get treated. Secondarily, people with other serious health issues that need medical care are likely to get a lower level of care, if any. Diabetes, kidney dialysis, other chronic conditions are likely to receive less or possibly no care in that situation. Don't forget that healthcare workers get infected too, removing them from work until they recover.

On top of that you have the economic impact. The Italian Prime Minister has just announced the closure of all retail shops except grocery and pharmacy shops. Countries affected are going to go on lockdown for some period, and that will affect people's jobs and incomes. The NBA has announced the suspension of the season until further notice. Hence effects on NBA and related employees.

This is going to affect your life if it happens in your country / your area even if it's an over-reaction.

Psalm 91

Be wise, stay safe.

Comment

Practically speaking, we need to have ways that people who live paycheck to paycheck don't feel like they have to go into work sick and expose the public, or else end up homeless. Pence has been talking about some plans to support people in quarantines with short term financial help.
              What we should really do is make a law that requires employers to offer sick leave to their employees.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                They've suspended it until further notice. Rudy Gobert, who plays for the Utah Jazz, has' preliminarily tested positive' for coronavirus. Yes, it is major.
                He should be arrested for his microphone stunt.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

He should be arrested for his microphone stunt.
                  ???
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    ???
                    At a press conference a couple days ago, he went around and touched every reporter's microphone to make light of the situation and to illustrate his belief that everybody was overreacting. Now he has it.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

At a press conference a couple days ago, he went around and touched every reporter's microphone to make light of the situation and to illustrate his belief that everybody was overreacting. Now he has it.
                      I don't think he should be arrested for that. He'll get more than enough hatred already. He's a good object lesson that people need to take this a bit more seriously, and that being careless / cavalier / selfish can endanger others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        There is good information indicating that these kinds of claims are wildly exaggerated.
                        Trump, Breitbart and Fox News are not good information.

Comment

Trump has also mentioned it as has Pelosi.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't think he should be arrested for that. He'll get more than enough hatred already. He's a good object lesson that people need to take this a bit more seriously, and that being careless / cavalier / selfish can endanger others.
                            That's kind of like someone firing off a few rounds in the direction of a crowd of people. His action was designed to deliberately endanger them and could possibly even result in death.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              That's kind of like someone firing off a few rounds in the direction of a crowd of people. His action was designed to deliberately endanger them and could possibly even result in death.
                              I think your use of 'designed' implies an understanding of his motivation that we simply don't have. I doubt that he believed that his action was endangering lives and nonetheless did it. I think it more likely that he thought (at the time) that the virus threat was over-hyped and that was kind of the point of his action, to demonstrate that it was no big deal.

Dumb and dangerous nonetheless.

Comment

I think your use of 'designed' implies an understanding of his motivation that we simply don't have. I doubt that he believed that his action was endangering lives and nonetheless did it. I think it more likely that he thought (at the time) that the virus threat was over-hyped and that was kind of the point of his action, to demonstrate that it was no big deal.

Dumb and dangerous nonetheless.
                                Should people be permitted to do dangerous things if they think it is not dangerous?

Comment