Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I didn't comment on your discussion with Shuny. I commented on a specific post and a specific claim.
    so you are having a conversation with yourself then. great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      so you are having a conversation with yourself then. great.
      Only if no one responds...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Italy turning the corner, UK in total lock-down, USA going for the record.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Italy turning the corner, UK in total lock-down, USA going for the record.
          The U.S. numbers are strongly skewed by NY state. Cuomo announced today that they are testing more than 10,000 per day, a rate that he claims surpasses any other state or country. I haven't seen the testing rates for other states, but if he is correct, he is uncovering the actual size of the iceberg in his state. If the iceberg is proportional in the rest of the states, especially those with major population centers, there are probably more than half a million cases that simply have not been uncovered.

Today's numbers are pretty high...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            Again, I’m not talking about coronavirus testing, but reason why people can’t afford unexpected expenses.
            Probably because they don't have the money.

Comment

• The WHO is warning that the virus is accelerating, pointing out that reaching the first 100,000 infected took 60+ days, but the second was reached in 11 days and the third in 4 days. We are on track to hit the fourth in 3 days. Worldwide increase in infection rates is holding at about 12% per day. If that continues, after tomorrow we'll add 100,000 in only 2 days, we'll be adding over 100,000 per day by the end of the month and there will be over 1M cases worldwide within 10 days.

U.S. numbers are even scarier. We have averages 34.33% growth per day for the last three weeks. That doubles the number of infected every three days. If that continues much longer, we will be the next Italy in term of total cases per capita. Fortunately, our mortality rate is still holding between 1% and 1.5% compared to Italy's 9.5%. But we also have 5.3 times the population of Italy.

Furthermore, the WHO is making it clear that social isolation will not solve this problem: it is a defensive measure that is slowing the spread (presumably) but will not solve the basic problem. The fact is the virus is now generally in the population. Anyone who has not had it and survived or been vaccinated against it remains vulnerable, and there is no vaccine (yet).

And now we have our moron-in-chief considering ignoring his medical experts and reversing the social distancing and isolation steps that have stalled our economy. This man truly has to go. 11/3 and then 1/20/21 cannot come soon enough.
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-23-2020, 08:05 PM.

Comment

The WHO is warning that the virus is accelerating, pointing out that reaching the first 100,000 infected took 60+ days, but the second was reached in 11 days and the third in 4 days. We are on track to hit the fourth in 3 days. Worldwide increase in infection rates is holding at about 12% per day. If that continues, after tomorrow we'll add 100,000 in only 2 days, we'll be adding over 100,000 per day by the end of the month and there will be over 1M cases worldwide within 10 days.

U.S. numbers are even scarier. We have averages 34.33% growth per day for the last three weeks. That doubles the number of infected every three days. If that continues much longer, we will be the next Italy in term of total cases per capita. Fortunately, our mortality rate is still holding between 1% and 1.5% compared to Italy's 9.5%. But we also have 5.3 times the population of Italy.

Furthermore, the WHO is making it clear that social isolation will not solve this problem: it is a defensive measure that is slowing the spread (presumably) but will not solve the basic problem. The fact is the virus is now generally in the population. Anyone who has not had it and survived or been vaccinated against it remains vulnerable, and there is no vaccine (yet).

And now we have our moron-in-chief considering ignoring his medical experts and reversing the social distancing and isolation steps that have stalled our economy. This man truly has to go. 11/3 and then 1/20/21 cannot come soon enough.
                Problem is, your logic assumes new infections vs more robust testing.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  I wasn't saying the having latest model was a necessity. I was saying having one of some sort is close to it though in our world. Without it one becomes isolated in many ways.
                  Since my post was about the price of the newest and greatest and not against the concept of owning a phone, you went off on a tangent.

It is not my experience that people struggling with their money go out and get the latest phone. They usually have a modest smart phone, a few models back.
                  Which my post was not about just those struggling, but those who can’t pay unexpected expenses, so what? One can make 6 figures and still live check to check and struggle to pay unexpected expenses.

And one should not assume they are necessarily paying a premium price even if they do have that latest phone. There are various promotions that make it attractive to have a decent one on a budget. Some carriers offer the latest phone 'for free' with the wireless plan itself with a 2 year commitment. So they may end up with a premium phone on a second rate carrier - which is fine if you are in a populated area. And there is also the issue of them becoming obsolete, both in terms of battery life and processing power. So much so that generally 3 years is about all one can expect, so the phone is going to be relatively modern if it is usable.
                  An iPhone 7 is perfectly capable of doing most of the stuff an iPhone 11 can do (and the major carriers are giving them away, for free). About the only real major changes I’ve noticed in newer phones is cameras, processors, and slightly better battery life. If you need a phone, that can make calls, text, send email, browse the web, act as a GPS, or play most games. A few generations older phone will serve your needs just fine. Very few people will ever use the full processing power their phones are capable of doing, much as few currently need 1 gbps internet connections, but you can be charged more, so companies prefer you use them.

And I don't think "I'm still using my flip phone I bought 15 years ago" is a fair expectation of the general population.
                  If you need calls and text, it will do the job just fine. As I said above, few actually take full advantage of what a smart phone is truly capable of doing and I often see it used as mainly an entertainment device by younger people and an expensive phone by many older people.
                  Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-23-2020, 09:15 PM.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    Since my post was about the price of the newest and greatest and not against the concept of owning a phone, you went off on a tangent.

Which my post was not about just those struggling, but those who can’t pay unexpected expenses, so what? One can make 6 figures and still live check to check and struggle to pay unexpected expenses.

An iPhone 7 is perfectly capable of doing most of the stuff an iPhone 11 can do (and the major carriers are giving them away, for free). About the only real major changes I’ve noticed in newer phones is cameras, processors, and slightly better battery life. If you need a phone, that can make calls, text, send email, browse the web, act as a GPS, or play most games. A few generations older phone will serve your needs just fine. Very few people will ever use the full processing power their phones are capable of doing, much as few currently need 1 gbps internet connections, but you can be charged more, so companies prefer you use them.

If you need calls and text, it will do the job just fine. As I said above, few actually take full advantage of what a smart phone is truly capable of doing and I often see it used as mainly an entertainment device by younger people and an expensive phone by many older people.
                    Do you think there are many people who are working poor and cannot afford such things? I know many people in that category.

Comment

The WHO is warning that the virus is accelerating, pointing out that reaching the first 100,000 infected took 60+ days, but the second was reached in 11 days and the third in 4 days. We are on track to hit the fourth in 3 days. Worldwide increase in infection rates is holding at about 12% per day. If that continues, after tomorrow we'll add 100,000 in only 2 days, we'll be adding over 100,000 per day by the end of the month and there will be over 1M cases worldwide within 10 days.

Your last paragraph: Your derogatory term moron-in-chief is inappropriate. Trump launched his career as a disciple of Roy Cohn, so litigator-in-chief would be more approriate. Given that Trump has modeled his life under Roy Cohn's tutelage, any attempt to determine any intelligence in Trump is irrelevant and impossible.

The elevation of the economic factors over any valuation on life is something which shows the cracks in the pro life crowd which likes to present life as sacred and of infinite (unbounded) worth. This valuation is popping up all over, and some in the pro life side is quite alarmed over this (such as the language over triage) away from its combat connotation of doing the most good with limited resources.

It will be interesting to see how Dr Fauci and others in the administration will address this, officials who break with Trump are pushed aside ruthlessly.

And Carpedm, please keep me in your prayers, as these are time which try men's souls: I am almost tempted to vote Dem for the first time. (Hail Mary, full of grace.......)

Comment

• Let it rip:
                        “America will again and soon be open for business — very soon,” Trump said at the daily White House news conference. “We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself.”

“If it were up to the doctors, they’d say let’s keep it shut down, let’s shut down the entire world . . . and let’s keep it shut for a couple of years,” Trump said Monday. “We can’t do that.”
                        https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...3f0_story.html
                        Last edited by firstfloor; 03-24-2020, 02:31 AM.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                          Which is practically worthless except to satisfy VIP curiosity. If the CDC wants to know the actual spread of this virus and they don't have enough test kits, they should pick people at random like pollsters do.

Does anyone know if a person can be tested months after the fact if they had been exposed? From what I'm hearing, it sounds like tests only tell us if a person had been exposed within a three-week period.
                          The tests I've heard about involve deep nasal and/or throat swabs, and check for shedding of viruses. There have been reports that some people continue to test positive in this way for weeks after symptoms have disappeared. At the time I heard that, they were not certain that the detectable viruses being shed were really even viable.

If I could get a free or very low-cost blood test to determine what malady I had several weeks ago, I'd be up for it.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I have to admit that my admiration with Fauci is growing daily. He's becoming the primary source of truth we can all count on. There was an excellent interview with him here, where he was refreshingly honest about the dynamic with Trump. Now it will be interesting to see what happens. Trump doesn't usually tolerate someone publicly contradicting him or talking him down, so there is a good chance he will be fired. On the other hand, he has become a pretty widely valued and positively viewed face of the crisis, so Trump may face a backlash if he does so.

My prediction: first we will see the usual wave of people attacking his character and record to turn public opinion against him, and then he will be fired. That's the pattern we've seen for the last 3+ years. People with sterling records, as soon as they speak out against Trump in any way, become pariah and have their character and history attacked and denigrated. Part of the ongoing TSD problem!
                            Let me be the second, after Mark Levin (in a midly-worded Facebook post), to cast aspersions on his character.

I have lost all respect for Doc Falsi. In his half-hour interview on Levin's show, he was nothing but complementary toward Bad Orange Man. Comparing the Science Mag. article with the Levin interview, one would conclude that Falsi was not talking out of both sides of his mouth, but out of both terminals of his alimentary canal.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              Good for him. The "science" guys on the Kung Flu task force are not the only ones who matter. If they extend this debacle to the twelve weeks some have suggested, neither the economy nor society as a whole will *ever* recover.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                                Good for him. The "science" guys on the Kung Flu task force are not the only ones who matter. If they extend this debacle to the twelve weeks some have suggested, neither the economy nor society as a whole will *ever* recover.
                                Yeah, why have input from guys who know science to tackle a problem in medical science.

Societies are dynamic, we will recover. We have had epidemics for the whole of human history.

(I remember a Louisiana shrimp boat captian who claimed that the Gulf Shrimping and fishing would never, ever, could not, recover from the oil spill. It did.)

Comment