Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    And those numbers are the result of a lack of testing. The actual numbers could be in the millions right now for all we know. According to the Ohio Governor the suspected number of cases in Ohio alone is over 100,000. They expect that number to double in 6 days!
    Yeah, and he and his expert appeared on Tucker's show to explain that number. There was a lot of hemming and hawing about "models," but ultimately it boiled down to guesswork. It really was a disappointing answer.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post

Italy meanwhile is taking a beating.
      Remember a lot of these European countries are top heavy with old people who are most vulnerable. Something like 23% of Italians are over 65.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        See https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._of_times.html for a video of them calling it that dozens of times but when Trump did the same then overnight it was declared racist and xenophobic by the same people who were using it.

Moreover...

Source: Woke Media Calls Term ‘Wuhan Virus’ Racist After Using Term ‘Wuhan Virus’

In fact, it is common practice for diseases to be named after populations or places of their origin such as the West Nile Virus from the West Nile district of Uganda, or the St. Louis Encephalitis. Other examples include Lyme Disease from Lyme, Connecticut, the Guinea Worm from the Guinea coast of West Africa, the German Measles for the German doctors who first described it, the Ross River Fever from Australia, the Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever from Omsk Russia, the Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever from the Ebola River, the Marburg Virus Disease from Marburg, Germany, the Lassa Fever from Lassa, Nigeria, La Crosse Encephalitis from La Crosse, Wisconsin, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

They forgot the Spanish Flu and the Hendra virus (named after a suburb of Brisbane, Australia).
        And right after suddenly proclaiming that referring to the coronavirus as the "Wuhan virus" was racist and xenophobic CNN's national security correspondent Kylie Atwood referred to it as the Wuhan virus while talking to the host of that network's Inside Politics, John King. They were discussing how the Chinese ambassador was summoned to the State Department over China's attempt to blame the U.S. for creating and spreading the disease.

"Yeah, and a new development in these tensions just today. The Chinese Ambassador to the U.S. was summoned here to the State Department by a top State Department official for the region, Assistant Secretary Stilwell, I have been told by folks in this building that they are furious with the Chinese government. That’s because as you said John, they are now claiming that potentially the U.S. military could be to blame for the Wuhan Virus originated which originated as we know in Wuhan, China."

Even more interesting she went on to what appears to defend using the term by the Trump Administration

"We have seen the U.S. push back on that disinformation, Secretary of State Pompeo even called it the Wuhan Virus just last week to make sure that folks knew where the epicenter of this virus really is and we also heard President Trump earlier this week calling it a foreign virus. They want to make the case that this originated in China and that's the reason that they summoned the Chinese Ambassador here to the State Department today.

We are still waiting for more details with regards to what that conversation looked like, but there are growing tensions between the U.S.—the Trump Administration—and the Chinese government over where this virus originated."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Abigail View Post
          Remember a lot of these European countries are top heavy with old people who are most vulnerable. Something like 23% of Italians are over 65.
          One of my co-workers is from Poland and mentioned Thursday that Italy has the oldest average population in Europe. His older sister moved there to help take care of the elderly.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            The travel ban won't stop the spread of the virus already in the US. As to how much there is cannot be assessed because Trump disbanded the White House Pandemic Unit in 2018 which was charged with preparing for when, not if, another pandemic would hit the nation. Well it's hit, and there are not enough testing kits available (among other things) to find out just how many infected people there are. So, the government is not in a position to even measure the extent of the problem.
            But it can keep more infected people from entering and spreading it even more and faster.

There is good reason to try to slow the spread down, primarily because this is still the flu season when hospitals are already very busy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              The travel ban won't stop the spread of the virus already in the US. As to how much there is cannot be assessed because Trump disbanded the White House Pandemic Unit in 2018 which was charged with preparing for when, not if, another pandemic would hit the nation. Well it's hit, and there are not enough testing kits available (among other things) to find out just how many infected people there are. So, the government is not in a position to even measure the extent of the problem.
              Not sure that is really accurate, the pandemic response unit's functions have not been dropped, they have been picked up elsewhere. And I thought (not sure since I have read conflicting reports) that the particular program was a one time funding for the ebola response.

And I do not think our problems in getting a test kit out is because of not having any one specific program. I do not know why the US is behind other countries in getting out a working test kit.

That said, the US has at best a haphazard public health sector, this epidemic is a real test of the flexibility and robustness of that sector of our health system. Unfortunately, we will need an assessment based on hindsight to evaluate our system.

As an aside, the Aussie system of funding rural medicine (such as on aboriginal lands, parallel to our indian reservation system) showed itself to be robust during the 2014 ebola crisis. Some in the US look to that as a model. Though few want to relocate to the desert wildernesses in both countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                Can we cool it with the fake news that Trump curtailed the CDC's ability to respond to pandemics? Even the Associated Press debunked that one.

Trump’s budgets have proposed cuts to public health, only to be overruled by Congress, where there’s strong bipartisan support for agencies such as the CDC and NIH. Instead, financing has increased.

Indeed, the money that government disease detectives first tapped to fight the latest outbreak was a congressional fund created for health emergencies.

Some public health experts say a bigger concern than White House budgets is the steady erosion of a CDC grant program for state and local public health emergency preparedness — the front lines in detecting and battling new disease. But that decline was set in motion by a congressional budget measure that predates Trump.

The broader point about there being “nobody here” to coordinate the response sells short what’s in place to handle an outbreak.

The public health system has a playbook to follow for pandemic preparation — regardless of who’s president or whether specific instructions are coming from the White House. Those plans were put into place in anticipation of another flu pandemic, but are designed to work for any respiratory-borne disease.

Among the health authorities overseeing the work are Dr. Anne Schuchat, CDC’s principal deputy director and a veteran of previous outbreaks, and Dr. Anthony Fauci, NIH’s infectious disease chief who has advised six presidents.

https://apnews.com/d36d6c4de29f4d04beda3db00cb46104
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                  And those numbers are the result of a lack of testing. The actual numbers could be in the millions right now for all we know. According to the Ohio Governor the suspected number of cases in Ohio alone is over 100,000. They expect that number to double in 6 days!
                  By all accounts, nobody really knows what data she's basing that 100,000 figure on. There are 130,000 known cases worldwide, and she thinks there are almost that many in Ohio alone? Really?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    By all accounts, nobody really knows what data she's basing that 100,000 figure on. There are 130,000 known cases worldwide, and she thinks there are almost that many in Ohio alone? Really?

Out by a factor of 1000 probs. Testing will reveal more information, social distancing works, personal hygiene works, frequent hot drinks.

Internal email for staff in St George’s Hospital - good self-detection advice.

Virus Detection:
                    The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.
                    The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.
                    The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.
                    Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.
                    Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:
                    The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.
                    Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.
                    Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water, the virus can pass into the trachea and from there to the lungs, where it is very dangerous.
                    For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and the vitamin D is good for you.
                    The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.
                    If an infected person sneezes near us, stay 10 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.
                    When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel
                    The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.
                    The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.
                    Washing your hands is essential.
                    The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.
                    You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimize the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down to the trachea and then to the lungs.
                    Disinfect things touched often: cellphone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc
                    Last edited by firstfloor; 03-14-2020, 08:13 AM.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• "The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day."

So my hot tea addiction is a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        "The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day."

So my hot tea addiction is a good thing.
                        The virus dies at temperatures greater than 27°C? Isn't the temperature of the human body like 36°C?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
                          What does that mean? It seems like you're making a point, but I don't see it. Are you trying to see if you can run the "why public healthcare can't work in America" talking point, line ?? ... ??
                          Lots, around 50% of the US population lives spread out while the other half lives in cities. That’s over 3 times the population of South Korea, spread out among an area a thousand times bigger. It is a logistic challenge getting supplies to these areas. We share a huge border, with two nations, that is thousands of miles, that has thousands of miles virtually unguarded. South Korea is roughly 38,000 MI2, this makes it somewhat bigger than Indiana our 38th biggest state, by land area, with a population 10 million larger than California. South Korea shares one border, with one nation, that is heavily fortified. These are all important factors in containing outbreaks and getting supplies to where they are needed. SK and the US are different countries, you can’t reasonably expect the two to be directly comparable to each other.
                          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-14-2020, 09:55 AM.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            The virus dies at temperatures greater than 27°C? Isn't the temperature of the human body like 36°C?
                            Good point.
                            Seems to be that nasal passages are cooler, where they build numbers to tackle the warmer areas.
                            https://www.iflscience.com/health-an...t-like-it-warm
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              Lots, around 50% of the US population lives spread out while the other half lives in cities. That’s over 3 times the population of South Korea, spread out among an area a thousand times bigger. It is a logistic challenge getting supplies to these areas. We share a huge border, with two nations, that is thousands of miles, that has thousands of miles virtually unguarded. South Korea is roughly 38,000 MI2, this makes it somewhat bigger than Indiana our 38th biggest state, by land area, with a population 10 million larger than California. South Korea shares one border, with one nation, that is heavily fortified. These are all important factors in containing outbreaks and getting supplies to where they are needed. SK and the US are different countries, you can’t reasonably expect the two to be directly comparable to each other.
                              Population wise the U.S. is more than six times larger (330,430,000 compared to 51,400,000)

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                                Sweet, I run about 37-37.5C, so I should be good.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment