Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
    He cites sources we here, engaging in this discussion, already know about and have read is what I said. As far as him being any type of authority, he's a secondhand source is what I said. How do you get "you don't think people should pay attention to Gates" from any of my posts? Strawman much? That was weak. You seem more intelligent than that kind cheap BS discussion tactic.
    OK - if your point is not "we should not be listening to Gates," then what exactly is your point and why object to his being mentioned? And which, if any, of his three points are you objecting to?
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-01-2020, 05:18 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• 563 UK covid deaths today. You very quickly reach the point where the available health care is saturated and even falls off as health care workers go sick. The patients all come at once. We are about two weeks away from knowing if our shut-down is working.

Wimbledon and the Edinburgh Festival were cancelled today.
      Last edited by firstfloor; 04-01-2020, 05:25 PM.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        OK - if your point is not "we should not be listening to Gates," then what exactly is your point and why object to his being mentioned? And which, if any, of his three points are you objecting to?
        He's a secondhand source, citing information we don't have to ignore because we've heard that information already. He's just a unscrupulous tech mogul with a weird vaccine fetish, and most likely an opportunist angling to profit from all this (in fact, that's pretty obvious by how he's desperately trying to make himself relevant in the press lately). No need to reference the schmuck here as though he's relevant in all this is my point.

Comment

He's a secondhand source, citing information we don't have to ignore because we've heard that information already. He's just a unscrupulous tech mogul with a weird vaccine fetish, and most likely an opportunist angling to profit from all this (in fact, that's pretty obvious by how he's desperately trying to make himself relevant in the press lately). No need to reference the schmuck here as though he's relevant in all this is my point.
          Your opinion is duly noted. I find him credible, articulate, and he put forward the argument well and pretty concisely. He also comes with significant experience gleaned through years of work on diseases via his foundation. AFAIK, Gates is no longer working in the private sector to make money - his money is made via his investments, and a significant percentage of that income (and Buffets) is going to his foundation, so I don't see how his oped is likely to "make him money."

At the end of the day - each and every one of us are third-hand sources citing (mostly) second-hand sources. I'm not seeing a reason to exclude his oped when so many opeds are freely referenced here and fairly regularly.

I'll leave the last word to you.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• I'm prepared to accept a few million fatalities -- hopefully including me, especially if they load me up on morphine -- rather than continue eviscerating the economy and defecating on the Bill of Rights.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              I'm prepared to accept a few million fatalities -- hopefully including me, especially if they load me up on morphine -- rather than continue eviscerating the economy and defecating on the Bill of Rights.
              As I have said before - we will probably all have to accept some amount of pain to get this man out of the Oval Office. I didn't think it would be this. But then again, I was pretty sure we would be in a major war by now, so at least we haven't gone in that direction. But a few million deaths is an awful price to pay.
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-01-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                563 UK covid deaths today. You very quickly reach the point where the available health care is saturated and even falls off as health care workers go sick. The patients all come at once. We are about two weeks away from knowing if our shut-down is working.

Wimbledon and the Edinburgh Festival were cancelled today.
                April and May will be very tragic, but I believe like in the past it will pass.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  As I have said before - we will probably all have to accept some amount of pain to get this man out of the Oval Office. I didn't think it would be this. But then again, I was pretty sure we would be in a major war by now, so at least we haven't gone in that direction.
                  MM is right about you. The implication is clear from this post. You want the inevitable economic pain that's coming, in fact you look forward to it because you believe that will give your party leverage in the 2020 election. Don't try and deny it, it's perfectly clear in that post. When shtf, and folks are rioting and suffering, I'll make sure to reference this post again in that context.

Comment

MM is right about you. The implication is clear from this post. You want the inevitable economic pain that's coming, in fact you look forward to it because you believe that will give your party leverage in the 2020 election. Don't try and deny it, it's perfectly clear in that post. When shtf, and folks are rioting and suffering, I'll make sure to reference this post again in that context.
                    This is vindictive trash par excellence.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

He didn't say he wanted it, sean. He implied the pain to be the inevitable result of Trumpism, pain which will probably have to occur before the Trumpsters wake up and smell the fraud.

Comment

• USA receives “humanitarian aid” from Russia.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          Yes, we will get through this, eventually. The economic damage is going to be massive, and a return to normal is a long way off. The 2008 financial crash lasted 10 years. This could be worse.

Comment

• First furloughs at firstfloor workplace. Under special UK Gov. Job Retention Scheme, those furloughed will receive 80% of their normal pay; paid not to work but training excepted.

Comment

No - MM is wrong, and so is Pix, and so are you. I predicted it. I expected it. I anticipated it would be needed before people would wake up to the travesty in the Oval Office. But I never wanted it. That is MM's and Pix's lie they have been pushing forward for a while now. I hope you don't descend to that level.

As for referencing this post please feel free to. It says what it says: we will all be (are?) facing some amount of pain to get this man out of office. My one mistake was to use the word "accept." I don't think anyone should be "accepting" this - but we will all have to face it.

Frankly, I was expecting economic pain mostly, and I predicted he would be sending our sons and daughters to a major war. I had no clue his shortcomings would intersect with such a crisis in such a way. I suspect someone with a bit more inside knowledge of the state of our healthcare and changes in diseases probably could have predicted it. Clearly some people have been warning about this for years.

And Norrin's post is sad. She may be willing to accept a few million deaths, but I wonder if she would still be willing to if those deaths were sons, daughters, grandchildren, sisters, and friends. I found her post sad and selfish in the extreme.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Oh yes - this too shall pass and we will eventually be looking at it through the window of history - at least those who survive it will. But I suspect April and May will not be the end. If the predictions of 12-18 months for a vaccine are accurate, and this virus does what others have done before it, we will see a second wave in the fall. If we push this wave down in the time frame suggested (April and May), estimates are that 95% of the population will remain vulnerable - which could make the second wave worse than the first.

I hope this administration does not waste the coming summer engaging in the same kind of denials that resulted in the waste of January and February. That would pretty much ensure that, like a tsunami, the second wave will be worse than the first.

Comment