Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Dude, forget about responding to trolls, you ARE a troll. You even admitted it to MM.
    I gotta wonder if he was trolling or if it's that his ego is so enormous he'd rather confess to trolling than admit that the position he took was untenable.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I gotta wonder if he was trolling or if it's that his ego is so enormous he'd rather confess to trolling than admit that the position he took was untenable.
      He thinks he's that important to the thread, so he was playing the sympathy card to try and control the discussion -- when it was evident he was losing control -- by accusing his dissenters of trolling and being mean to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        Fauci is the enemy.

At this point, I still agree with Tucker that Fauci's main problem is his narrow focus. But it's becoming increasingly clear that his instinct for solving problems is statism. Plus, he's been way too dismissive and resistant toward hydroxychloroquine.

It's time for Bad Orange Man to recruit some new members for the Task Force -- maybe Dr. David Katz, Dr. John Ioannidis, and Dr. Stephen Smith -- and put them in front of the camera, while Fauci stands back grimacing and rolling his eyes.
        There's a weird relationship between science and statism. I find the two often exist in harmonious correlation when it's politically related.

Comment

• BoJo now in the ICU.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Fauci is the enemy.

... Plus, he's been way too dismissive and resistant toward hydroxychloroquine.
            Liberals have accused Trump of having a vested financial interest in promoting this treatment. I assume Adam Schiff has the evidence and will let us see it some day.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Fauci is the enemy.

At this point, I still agree with Tucker that Fauci's main problem is his narrow focus. But it's becoming increasingly clear that his instinct for solving problems is statism. Plus, he's been way too dismissive and resistant toward hydroxychloroquine.

It's time for Bad Orange Man to recruit some new members for the Task Force -- maybe Dr. David Katz, Dr. John Ioannidis, and Dr. Stephen Smith -- and put them in front of the camera, while Fauci stands back grimacing and rolling his eyes.
              And this kind of thinking is why it is so hard for anyone with experience and knowledge to survive in the Trump administration.

Tucker Carlson is NOT a doctor or any sort of truly knowledgeable person wrt epidemiology and the pathology of disease or the correct methods for establishing the effectiveness of a medicine to treat a disease and the reasons we have to protocols we do for evaluating drugs the way we do (e.g. so people don't die or suffer permanent damage worse than the disease itself). To let him drive policy wrt Fauci or to ignore Fauci's reluctance to jump on the hydroxychloroquine bandwagon is just ignorance. I mean, hydroxychloroquine might work, but hey a stopped clock is right twice a day too. But you'd never know when w/o a working clock.

Shooting from the hip is how we got here. Assuming you or Tucker or Trump's 'gut' is going to figure this out, or that anyone with knowledge of the situation that is reluctant to follow Trump's lead is necessarily some political paria is how we got here. Fauci is resitent because of what he knows about science and medicine. Don't play politics with medical knowledge and disease.

will you never learn?
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                The manic urge to completely shut down society (an urge primarily on the left) over a virus which may or may not be more potent than the flu, and which may or may not kill hundreds of thousands vs. millions from the economic consequences really makes you wonder the intent behind it all.

Comment

• Interesting editorial:

...when it comes to saving lives, it’s always more complicated than the Twitter blue-check masters-of-morality would have us believe. Some variation of ‘every death is one too many’ is the virtuous thing to say, and we’ve heard it a lot lately when it comes to coronavirus, especially when pretty much anyone in the medical field is interviewed on television. Thus, any state-enforced action, no matter how draconian, is deemed justifiable because it could ‘save a life’ from coronavirus. “Could,” because we can’t possibly know for sure how effective, say, not allowing people to get their pets groomed or keep their cleaning appointments with their dentists would be in stopping the spread. Everyone agrees that *something* had to be done, of course. The question is, did that *something* have to go as far as it has gone and continues to go? And why on earth does asking it make one somehow a ‘moral monster’?

During the aforementioned segment, Carlson played a clip from Dr. Anthony Fauci that gave some, uh, insight on when this current shutdown madness might end: “When it goes down to essentially no new cases, no deaths.” Soooo, when might that be, good doctor? A month from now? Six months from now? He doesn’t know, and neither does anyone else. Is half of America going bankrupt - and all the suffering and deaths that would eventually entail - an acceptable cost to bring the coronavirus case count to zero?

For some inexplicable reason, we’ve turned over decision-making in this country to healthcare professionals whose single, solitary goal is to save *every* possible life from coronavirus and only coronavirus. In theory and absent all other considerations it’s an admirable goal, but its implementation is far from the “first, do no harm” of the Hippocratic Oath, mainly because of the actual *doing harm* involved in putting the lives of present and future coronavirus victims over everyone else’s.

https://townhall.com/columnists/scot...-a-mo-n2566393

I think we can all agree that something must be done, but government thinking seems to be
                  Draconian government solutions are "something".
                  Therefore, draconian government solutions must be done.

Will the "cure" ultimately be worse than the disease?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Interesting editorial:

...when it comes to saving lives, it’s always more complicated than the Twitter blue-check masters-of-morality would have us believe. Some variation of ‘every death is one too many’ is the virtuous thing to say, and we’ve heard it a lot lately when it comes to coronavirus, especially when pretty much anyone in the medical field is interviewed on television. Thus, any state-enforced action, no matter how draconian, is deemed justifiable because it could ‘save a life’ from coronavirus. “Could,” because we can’t possibly know for sure how effective, say, not allowing people to get their pets groomed or keep their cleaning appointments with their dentists would be in stopping the spread. Everyone agrees that *something* had to be done, of course. The question is, did that *something* have to go as far as it has gone and continues to go? And why on earth does asking it make one somehow a ‘moral monster’?

During the aforementioned segment, Carlson played a clip from Dr. Anthony Fauci that gave some, uh, insight on when this current shutdown madness might end: “When it goes down to essentially no new cases, no deaths.” Soooo, when might that be, good doctor? A month from now? Six months from now? He doesn’t know, and neither does anyone else. Is half of America going bankrupt - and all the suffering and deaths that would eventually entail - an acceptable cost to bring the coronavirus case count to zero?

For some inexplicable reason, we’ve turned over decision-making in this country to healthcare professionals whose single, solitary goal is to save *every* possible life from coronavirus and only coronavirus. In theory and absent all other considerations it’s an admirable goal, but its implementation is far from the “first, do no harm” of the Hippocratic Oath, mainly because of the actual *doing harm* involved in putting the lives of present and future coronavirus victims over everyone else’s.

https://townhall.com/columnists/scot...-a-mo-n2566393

I think we can all agree that something must be done, but government thinking seems to be
                    Draconian government solutions are "something".
                    Therefore, draconian government solutions must be done.

Will the "cure" ultimately be worse than the disease?
                    It's GREAT for climate change though! Can't tell you how many news sources I've seen that tout the "silver lining" of this in how it's positively affecting the environment. Correlation is not always causation, but... just another potential incentive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      [...]Will the "cure" ultimately be worse than the disease?
                      Since you still question whether corona is worse than the common flu you must think the cure is worse... You must think Trump has gone way too far already...
                      Last edited by Charles; 04-06-2020, 05:44 PM.
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

It's GREAT for climate change though! Can't tell you how many news sources I've seen that tout the "silver lining" of this in how it's positively affecting the environment. Correlation is not always causation, but... just another potential incentive.
                        A message consisting of a set of ten guidelines or principles is engraved on the Georgia Guidestones in eight different languages, one language on each face of the four large upright stones. Moving clockwise around the structure from due north, these languages are: English, Spanish, Swahili, Hindi, Hebrew, Arabic, Traditional Chinese, and Russian.

Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
                        Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
                        Unite humanity with a living new language.
                        Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
                        Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
                        Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
                        Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
                        Balance personal rights with social duties.
                        Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
                        Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

Comment

The coronavirus has no effect on global warming.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            Not directly. But with less people driving and for less time, fewer planes flying, that is less co2 in the atmosphere, and that affects the rate of progress for global warming. It also affects air pollution.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              How do we fight climate change, genius? By reducing vehicle and industrial emission, correct? I'm not a scientist and I just used common sense. Guarantee I could do a google search and find a scientific paper to rebut you, but since you're just an anonymous dude on the internet, I won't bother.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                                A problem with the PCR test is that it does not test for the virus specifically. It tests for material that seems to be the virus. It is by no means an exact determination. As a result, the statistics rely on messy information. I'm not sure how the COVID-19 test was developed so as to try to discern COVID-19 from other things which may not produce the same illness.

Did the tiger have a fever?
                                Dry cough - but that may just have been the cockatoo it had recently consumed...
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment