Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. Semantics. They wanted him removed, and went to great means to do it. It failed.
    Actually - constitutional law. Yes - the Democrats did want him removed because they believed (and I believe) that he had met the requirement outlined in the constitution of "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors." Encouraging a foreign power to interfere in the U.S. election process, which Trump has now done both publicly and privately, qualifies. It is an abuse of power and is, frankly, treasonous. The Democrats limited themselves to "bribery" and "abuse of power."

I suspect that if you asked yourself, "what would be my reaction if it had been Obama who had done the things Trump has done" with respect to the Ukraine, Russia, and China, you would find that your response to these things is not consistent. I can assure you that, if Obama had done this things, I would be calling for his impeachment just as vocally. It is the task of the president to protect this country, not turn its election over to foreign powers. That was one of the greatest fears the founders had - it permeated their discussions and writings.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      So close that Trump immediately banned him from his properties when an underage staffer at Mar-a-Largo complained about his accosting her. So close that Trump was the only one of Epstein's high-profile associates to fully cooperate with the Florida investigation, for which the lawyer for Epstein's victims expressed his gratitude.

Darn those inconvenient facts and how they get in the way of your vitriolic nonsense [ATTACH=CONFIG]44052[/ATTACH]
      Obviously sarcasm is not your strong suit. Read my post and try again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        ...the House lacked sufficient evidence to convince 2/3rds of the Senate that Trump was guilty. For that matter, the Democrats couldn't even present a compelling enough case to convince a simple majority that the trial should continue beyond opening arguments.
        ...because the GOP and Democrats had pre-made their decisions and held a partisan show trial. Nothing more was expected from the outset. There was zero possibility that the GOP would do anything other than what it did because they knew that Trump's base would turn on them. They have been sycophants to this president for that reason from the day Trump won the election. The GOP voices calling Trump out for outrageous behavior have been rare, except when there is ANY indication that the base is unhappy with a given action - which is also rare.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• We are only at 1:39 PM EDT and the total deaths today both globally and nationally are already at a record-high for deaths in a single day. New cases are also tracking to come close to a daily high if they continue at the current pace.

Comment

• Latest numbers -

April 1: 26,473 new cases and 1,049 new deaths
            April 2: 29,874 new cases and 974 new deaths
            April 3: 32,284 new cases and 1,045 new deaths
            April 4: 34,196 new cases and 1,331 new deaths
            April 5: 25,316 new cases and 1,165 new deaths
            April 6: 30,331 new cases and 1,255 new deaths

The numbers of cases has increased from the 5th to the 6th, but still lower than on the 3rd and 4th.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
              Latest numbers -

April 1: 26,473 new cases and 1,049 new deaths
              April 2: 29,874 new cases and 974 new deaths
              April 3: 32,284 new cases and 1,045 new deaths
              April 4: 34,196 new cases and 1,331 new deaths
              April 5: 25,316 new cases and 1,165 new deaths
              April 6: 30,331 new cases and 1,255 new deaths

The numbers of cases has increased from the 5th to the 6th, but still lower than on the 3rd and 4th.
              We have 19,100 new cases so far today, but 1,371 deaths already...

We also now have more cases than the next three countries combined. Those are now Spain, Italy, and France. The France situation is getting ugly. Fortunately, our deaths are nowhere the total of theirs.
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-07-2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedmprig View Post
                ...because the GOP and Democrats had pre-made their decisions and held a partisan show trial.
                It wasn't a "show trial" at all. The Democrats were extended every opportunity to present their very best case that Trump was guilty, or at least that they had a compelling enough case to continue the trial beyond opening arguments. They failed.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It wasn't a "show trial" at all. The Democrats were extended every opportunity to present their very best case that Trump was guilty, or at least that they had a compelling enough case to continue the trial beyond opening arguments. They failed.
                  Yes, MM, it was. A trial that precludes witnesses and documentation is pretty much the definition of a show trial. A trial in which the jurors have announced before the trial even begins that they already know the conclusion is pretty much a show trial. I would suggest both together are the consummate show trial. The members of the GOP had no intention of having their views changed anymore than the members of the Democratic party had of have things views changed. Unfortunately, the preponderance of the publicly available evidence strongly indicates that Trump is guilty as charged.

As I said, I am glad he was not removed. I am also glad that history will at least lump him in with the other bozo's that were impeached.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    First, ChemRxIV is a preprint service for unpublished chemistry papers. Anyone can subscribe and anyone can upload an article. It says nothing about the veracity of the article, does not say anything about the credentials of its author, and it does not it in any way imply the paper has been peer-reviewed. The most they do is screen articles for plagiarism, offensive language, and non-scientific content. In other words, it's a document sharing site making it just another form of social media.

Second, this paper actually contradicts the other one - noting that there actually IS a pneumonia caused by Covid-19. It's in the first line of the article.

Finally, the article goes on to outline how chloroquine could be used to ease the symptoms of respiratory distress. If it proves to be correct, it suggests chloroquine is indeed a treatment option for Covid-19 and constitutes the first documentation of this in a formal study that I am aware of. It's encouraging, but needs to be replicated and peer reviewed. Until then, it certainly gives clinicians a basis for using this option when they are running out of options.
                    I just said I found it after you mentioned you found nothing. It talks about the same thing as the other article, about how the virus is causing the hemoglobin to stop functioning and releasing the iron into the body which antioxidents like vitamin C could help remove. And how the hydroxychloroquine works by binding to the hemoglobin so that the virus can't. It sounds a lot more scientific than the Vox article, that's for sure. Neither you nor I have enough medical knowledge to evaluate it fully.

I don't have an opinion at this time, but it sounds plausible as an explanation of what is really going on with this disease and why it is killing people.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedmprig View Post
                      A trial that precludes witnesses and documentation is pretty much the definition of a show trial.
                      What trial did you watch? Democrats were allowed to present witness testimony and documentation.

Comment

It's an experimental and unproven treatment at the moment, so Fauci's caution is reasonable. It should be rolled out slowly on a small scale and the patients carefully monitored. Can you imagine if it was used to treat thousands only to later discover that there are undesirable long-term side effects?
                        You mean like when they found out that the swine flu vaccine caused Guillain-Barré syndrome?

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          So first, the impeachment didn't fail. Trump was actually impeached. What did not happen was conviction on the articles presented to the Senate and removal from office (for which I am grateful).

And the only reason the conviction failed was because the Senate held a show-trial and most Senators on both sides, including the Majority and Minority leaders, publicly acknowledged before the trial began that their minds were already made up. They held a trial in which witnesses and documents (beyond what was passed from the House) would not be permitted, and the House was never able to get the first-hand accounts and needed documents because the Executive blocked them at every turn. The partisan nature of the Senate trial was obvious to pretty much everyone. The only Senators on either side to show an iota of bi-partisanship were Romney, and (to some degree) Collins.

Don't get me wrong - I am glad he was not convicted. His conviction would have removed him from office and I do not think that is a good thing in this current climate. The results could have been ugly. But, based on my own digging and the information presented, there is no doubt in my mind that the current holder of the highest executive office in the land is one of the most corrupt individuals ever to hold that office.
                          case in point:

Source: NYTimes

View in browser | nytimes.com
                          The New York Times

BREAKING NEWS

President Trump effectively ousted the head of a watchdog panel overseeing how his administration spends trillions in coronavirus relief funds.
                          Tuesday, April 7, 2020 1:08 PM EST

The official, Glenn A. Fine, has been the acting Defense Department inspector general since before Mr. Trump took office. Last week, an umbrella group of agency inspectors general across the executive branch named him the chairman of a new Pandemic Response Accountability Committee with control of an $80 million budget to police how the government carries out the $2 trillion coronavirus relief bill.

But Mr. Trump has now abruptly named a different federal official — Sean O’Donnell, the Environmental Protection Agency’s inspector general — to be the acting Defense Department inspector general.

© Copyright Original Source

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It's an experimental and unproven treatment at the moment, so Fauci's caution is reasonable. It should be rolled out slowly on a small scale and the patients carefully monitored. Can you imagine if it was used to treat thousands only to later discover that there are undesirable long-term side effects?
                            That certainly is important. As much as the situation might call for action it is important to not act without knowing the possible consequences.
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Trump stymies oversight:

Said Rosenzweig: “Frankly, if the House of Representatives does not condition all further covid aid on the restriction of the president’s removal authority, they will have made a mistake. They should realize that the president is no longer operating in any semblance of good faith, and he is more dangerous to the fabric of American democracy than the virus.” Covid-19 is the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.
                              https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...288_story.html

He likes the smell of all that money.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                case in point:

Source: NYTimes

View in browser | nytimes.com
                                The New York Times

BREAKING NEWS

President Trump effectively ousted the head of a watchdog panel overseeing how his administration spends trillions in coronavirus relief funds.
                                Tuesday, April 7, 2020 1:08 PM EST

The official, Glenn A. Fine, has been the acting Defense Department inspector general since before Mr. Trump took office. Last week, an umbrella group of agency inspectors general across the executive branch named him the chairman of a new Pandemic Response Accountability Committee with control of an $80 million budget to police how the government carries out the $2 trillion coronavirus relief bill.

But Mr. Trump has now abruptly named a different federal official — Sean O’Donnell, the Environmental Protection Agency’s inspector general — to be the acting Defense Department inspector general.

© Copyright Original Source

Apparently we're supposed to infer something sinister from this despite the lack of details that would lead to such a conclusion.

Link to the full story, if anybody is interested, but it doesn't contain any more substance than ox's short excerpt. It's essentially "Look at this terrible thing Trump did! And we know it's terrible because Trump did it!"

Comment