Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Hayward View Post
    a) 1, 2, 3 etc. – hence all numbers and types of numbers – can be derived (if not by me) from the empty set: it seems “nothing” is unstable.

b) We had a Big Bang, so we now have a universe instead of nothing: it seems “nothing” is unstable.

c) The product of all the numbers in the empty set – that set which has NO numbers in it – is 1.
    (“In Mathematics you don’t come to understand things, but just get used to them.” – the discoverer, John von Neumann.)

Thought I'd add my two-pennorth, albeit late.
    :) And everything is built up, based on, from nothing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Why are we trusting China for our medical supplies?
      The disgusting truth is that we currently have little choice. At least that's what I got from Thursday's Task Force briefing.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Such pronouncements assume that the data coming from each country is accurate and of equal quality. Personally, I trust the US healthcare system to provide the most accurate data possible. Not so much other countries, especially those where the government controls the healthcare system and has a vested interest in keeping numbers artificially low.
        Such a government would have a vested interest in keeping the numbers artificially high, because that would justify increased taxes and greater government control over the people.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Meanwhile the left is having a field day mocking and belittling someone who converted 75% of his businesses into making masks for doctors and nurses. They'll be producing up to 50,000 per day.
          I officially appoint you "King of the Broad Brushes"
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
            Such a government would have a vested interest in keeping the numbers artificially high, because that would justify increased taxes and greater government control over the people.
            Nope. It's a lot easier to raise taxes when you can claim you're doing a great job than it is to say you need more money because you failed.

"I don't mind paying a little more because of what a good job they're doing" vs "Why should I pay more when they're doing such a bad job with what I've already paid?"
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• I am really curious to know the response to this comment from Jared Kushner in yesterday's briefing:

The notion of the federal stockpile is that it's supposed to be our stockpile. It's not supposed to be states' stockpiles that they then use.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                I am really curious to know the response to this comment from Jared Kushner in yesterday's briefing:

The notion of the federal stockpile is that it's supposed to be our stockpile. It's not supposed to be states' stockpiles that they then use.
                Maybe he thinks federal stockpiles are for use in Washington DC, Puerto Rico, Guam and for foreign aid.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedmprig View Post
                  I am really curious to know the response to this comment from Jared Kushner in yesterday's briefing:

He's right. States are independent governing bodies and have governors to manage them. As the President's recent letter to Chuck Schumer patiently explained, the federal government can serve as a backup, but it in no way has the resources to take care of all 50 states. A state can't leave itself unprepared and then expect the federal government to necessarily have the resources to bail it out, especially when multiple states are appealing for help.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    Now you have your decimal point off by one. 45,497/911,308 = .04992 = 4.99% (5%)

As I said, the best situations are between 1 and 2%. The worst are above 10% (Italy)
                    Dang it! You are right. I did the exact same thing I was chiding LM for!

Thanks.

Comment

• So China is going around disinfecting entire cities. Is this an overreaction or do they know something we don't?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        I don't agree with that assessment. Authoritarian leaders don't tolerate criticism as that is taken as a challenge to the competency of their leadership. They also tend to see the medias as the enemy of the people. They demand total loyalty, and when they address the public, it's all about them... sounds familiar!?

Comment

• Sadly, the potential downturn we thought we saw in the US does appear to have been a statistical anomaly, though the log curve is still bending down a bit (#case, not #deaths).

log cases US 04032020.jpg

New York now has as many cases as the entire US less than a week ago.

The US has almost a full 1/4 of the worlds cases.

Our mortality, once in the low 1%, has now crept up to 2.55%. This at a time when increased testing should be driving it down. This is because the log death curve is till basically a straight line.

log deaths US 04032020.jpg

At the current cases growth rate, we will see 500,000 cases in 1 week. 1,000,000 in 2.

At the current death growth rate we will see 24,000 deaths in 1 week, 100,000 in 2. So based on case growth and a 2.5% mortality, we should soon see the log deaths curve bend down. Otherwise we are headed for mortalities more in line with Spain, France, or Italy - 5 to 10%.

Starting late chasing an exponential bomb is a hard hare to catch ...
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-03-2020, 10:49 AM.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Sadly, the potential downturn we thought we saw in the US does appear to have been a statistical anomaly, though the log curve is still bending down a bit (#case, not #deaths).

The latest numbers I got:

March 31: 24,742 new cases and 912 new deaths
                            April 1: 26,473 new cases and 1,049 new deaths
                            April 2: 29,874 new cases and 968 new deaths

The # of new cases is still accelerating but # of new deaths seem to have slowed down. Anomaly, hopefully not...we might see a turnaround. The next 2-3 days will clarify.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                              They also tend to see the medias as the enemy of the people.
                              This is nonsense. Authoritarians OWN the media.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                This is nonsense. Authoritarians OWN the media.
                                Anything to support your claim? And remember you did speak in general terms about "the media" not some particular media source.
                                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment