Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    These are the consequences of a leader focused on himself alone. These are the consequences of a party focused on maintaining power through a leader focused on himself alone. These are the consequences of ignorant masses rallying around a leader focused on himself alone. These are the consequences of those same masses being manipulated and focused on a very small subset of moral issues and being manipulated by certain voices to value those issues above all others, and as a consequence ignoring the bulk of the wisdom and moral teaching of the scriptures of the religion the majority of these same masses profess to hold.
    Yes, and we can only hope that President Xi Jinping and the Communist Party of China are held accountable.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Yes, and we can only hope that President Xi Jinping and the Communist Party of China are held accountable.
      Well not by the WHO!

WHO praises China’s response to coronavirus...

The leaders of the World Health Organization on Wednesday praised China’s response to the ongoing outbreak of a novel coronavirus that emerged there and has since spread to more than a dozen other countries, and said the agency would again convene its expert committee to weigh whether the outbreak amounts to a global health emergency.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/29/...e-coronavirus/
      What a bunch of scum bags...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• I will also begin following Sweden and Mexico a bit more closely in coming days. Their approaches are quite different. Sweden is relying more on inherent social responsibility, and Mexico is taking trumps early approach but in an even more (as we would see it) irrsponsible manner. But both nations have fairly low counts at the present. I am just curious to see how this will evolve in them. My expectation is Mexico will crash rather quickly. Sweden, maybe not because their culture may be such that their approach will work there.

Mexico crashing has major implications to our farming industry in that much of our summer migrant workers are sourced in Mexico.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          Well not by the WHO!

What a bunch of scum bags...
          What do you expect when the head of the WHO owes his allegiance to China.

The reason for the WHO’s failure to properly act to contain the outbreak, and its repeated issuing of inaccurate and bad advice, is not merely the result of incompetence. Rather, the malfeasance is the direct result of the CCP deliberately buying out WHO’s leadership, with tragic consequences.

Experts have pinned the virus as starting possibly as early as October, months before the CCP alerted the world about the risks posed by the deadly disease. Rather than addressing the issue, China arrested journalists and doctors who tried to sound the alarm. In addition, the “People’s Republic” blocked information on social media and removed all news stories that attempted to report accurate infection numbers. The end result of this was preventable suffering, as countries were unable to take the urgent action needed to respond.

Yet through all the CCP’s obfuscation and ensigning preventable deaths, the WHO consistently praised the CCP for its “transparency” and “leadership,” saying its actions were “making us safer.” To the incredulity of health professionals around the world when finally alerted to the seriousness of the threat in January, the WHO refused to declare it a public health emergency. It took until February 10 for the WHO to even send an advance party to China.

At the same time WHO representatives gushed in praise of the regime’s response, noting the “Chinese people feel protected.” The WHO continues to lavishly praise China as they continued to downplay the threat of the coronavirus, taking months to classify it finally as a pandemic because that “might spook the world further.”

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/17...eadly-results/

Comment

Yes, they should. The response was outrage at the stifling of the doctors who did not pose any political threat.

And they should be held to account for getting their factories on line some three and a half months after the first case, allowing their stock market to get a boost.

Comment

I will also begin following Sweden and Mexico a bit more closely in coming days. Their approaches are quite different. Sweden is relying more on inherent social responsibility, and Mexico is taking trumps early approach but in an even more (as we would see it) irrsponsible manner. But both nations have fairly low counts at the present. I am just curious to see how this will evolve in them. My expectation is Mexico will crash rather quickly. Sweden, maybe not because their culture may be such that their approach will work there.

Mexico crashing has major implications to our farming industry in that much of our summer migrant workers are sourced in Mexico.

I don't know what Mexico is doing, but poorer countries simply have less choices when it comes to this. People who live day to day, who have to work today so they can eat tomorrow, cannot isolate or lockdown. They just don't have the economic resources to do so. Third world countries, and places like Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Burma, the Philippines will not be able to completely lockdown to slow infection rates.
              ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Yet through all the CCP’s obfuscation and ensigning preventable deaths, the WHO consistently praised the CCP for its “transparency” and “leadership,” saying its actions were “making us safer.” To the incredulity of health professionals around the world when finally alerted to the seriousness of the threat in January, the WHO refused to declare it a public health emergency. It took until February 10 for the WHO to even send an advance party to China.
                This institution is useless - we should cut them off!

The U.S. is currently the largest contributor to WHO.

https://www.kff.org/global-health-po...-organization/
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Like you just did with me on the Philosophy board?
                  Different context, different situation. You have a habit of comparing apples to oranges.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

my 'amen' was for the hope it is a real downturn, not your assessment of my analysis ...
                    Understood
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Before my main comment: I note that Germany has followed the course I expected for a nation testing widely and early. A very low early mortality gradually growing int the typical measured minimum mortality seen around the world. Germany is now also driving in to that same 1%+ mortality:

682/68180 = .01000293 = 1%

----

The world passed 800,000 cases today. The US is creeping up on 200,000, 1/4 the cases in he world. We currently have 1/5 the total cases in the world.

1/5 and heading to 1/4 of the cases In the world. But thankfully, so far, only 1/10th of the deaths.

These are the consequences of a leader focused on himself alone. These are the consequences of a party focused on maintaining power through a leader focused on himself alone. These are the consequences of ignorant masses rallying around a leader focused on himself alone. These are the consequences of those same masses being manipulated and focused on a very small subset of moral issues and being manipulated by certain voices to value those issues above all others, and as a consequence ignoring the bulk of the wisdom and moral teaching of the scriptures of the religion the majority of these same masses profess to hold.

There is some good news. The logarithmic growth curves for the world and for the US are showing a sight turn down in slope. Meaning the doubling time is becoming longer - finally. The US curve shows a clear rounding - the first fruits as it were of our social distancing efforts:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43771[/ATTACH]

Deaths too shows a rounding, but has only just returned to the slope of a week ago, but backing of the increasingly steep curve that was showing up just a short while ago:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43772[/ATTACH]

But compare this to a nation weeks ahead of us:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43773[/ATTACH]

S. Korea - a nation that we EASILY could have matched had our leaders been men of integrity, The have a democratic government with similar difficulties and infighting to our own, yet intelligence, and true leadership (e.g. the capability of rallying a nation TOGETHER to fight this thing) enabled them to respond effectively and quickly.

Compare those two curves. Does that not sicken you? To realize that all we would have needed was a leader like any of those that came before him. Any one of Obama, Clinton, Bush II, Bush I, or Reagan would have been more likely to see this coming and respond to it forcefully and with a uniting voice. That curve is a testimony to the consequences of poor leadership in a time of crisis. An objective, non-political, non-partisan exposure of the abject failure and foolishness that has gripped the government of this nation since January 2017.

But other nation have done poorly too.

Well look at some of the worst:

Italy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43774[/ATTACH]

Spain:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43775[/ATTACH]

France:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43776[/ATTACH]

None of them have the so late a beginning to a decline in exponential spread.

Uh, yeah. The underlined above is complete speculation on your part. It's an unknowable hypothetical - 'how leader X would have handled this situation', and tainted by your bias against Trump. Please stick to reporting the curves, and the data we have. That stuff is interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                        I don't know what Mexico is doing, but poorer countries simply have less choices when it comes to this. People who live day to day, who have to work today so they can eat tomorrow, cannot isolate or lockdown. They just don't have the economic resources to do so. Third world countries, and places like Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Burma, the Philippines will not be able to completely lockdown to slow infection rates.
                        Which means that Mexico will depend on medicines and aid from the US.

Thousands of Mexicans move across the US following the harvest, and many more do so illegally. Fruit and vegetable crops depend on foreign labor, as does a large part of the dairy industry. If it is not controlled there, there will be outbreaks in late summer and fall here in the US.

Comment

• I notice that there is STILL no response to Trump's golfing on March 8th...

Comment

Yes, she seems to have flip-flopped from last week when she said that what we're seeing in the real world doesn't seem to support such dire predictions. And even Fauci said that such predictions could very easily be wrong.

"Listen to the experts!" they say. But what do we do when the experts contradict themselves?
                            I recommend you read the Lurch's post on Natural Science for good background on the limitations and problems with modelling.

One problem we have is that the media want 'definite answers' which simply aren't available at this stage (maybe in a year or two down the road...) and so they mis-report what experts say. Don't rush to blame the experts, it's most likely some 'journalist' ignoring the way an expert qualifies their predictions and making it sound more definite than it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                              I recommend you read the Lurch's post on Natural Science for good background on the limitations and problems with modelling.

One problem we have is that the media want 'definite answers' which simply aren't available at this stage (maybe in a year or two down the road...) and so they mis-report what experts say. Don't rush to blame the experts, it's most likely some 'journalist' ignoring the way an expert qualifies their predictions and making it sound more definite than it is.
                              Yep. When Jake Tapper recently asked Dr. Fauci for a projection, Fauci seemed very reluctant to give an answer and explained the flaws with models. He then answered Tapper's question but immediately qualified it by saying that he doesn't like making projections because they could so easily be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedmprig View Post
                                I notice that there is STILL no response to Trump's golfing on March 8th...
                                What's there to answer? I assume you're as upset about Obama golfing while people were dying from the swine flu as you are about Trump golfing with White House guests, or mentioning the good TV ratings for the task force briefings.

Comment