Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    It’s what happens when you immerse yourself in 24/7 bad news. It causes you to think we’re all doomed.
    You’re not doomed, but you are going to take a pretty good mauling, as we all will. This will burn itself out, and we will have a vaccine eventually. Into the future, sons of covid-19 will roam the earth for ever more, but they will be, more or less, assimilated. We will live with them as we live with many other viruses.

Meanwhile, for the next few months, our defences are down, and the body count is going to be disturbingly high (but never high enough to shame or embarrass the dear leader).

The politicians have to show us that they did their best, and that is all that we can ask of them.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 03-27-2020, 08:13 PM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Why this continual prompting from you and your ilk to live in fear? What are you hoping to accomplish?
      The prompting is not to "live in fear." The prompting is to "pay attention to the data" Hopefully, we will accomplish getting U.S. citizens to demand the best from our leaders and hold them accountable when they fail.

But I am fast realizing this is the wrong venue to accomplish this. Those here who are part of Trump's base are blindly devoted to him in all respects and those making the argument to hold him accountable are already convinced he needs to be. There is no one here that can be convinced of anything they aren't already convinced of. These arguments are better made in venues where people are still looking for information and willing to look at the data.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        The prompting is not to "live in fear." The prompting is to "pay attention to the data"...
        Why can't one pay attention to the data with telling people that they should be fearful? Do you have any idea how many people are killed in auto accidents every year, or from falls at home, or die from the common flu on average? Yet nobody is running around whooping and hollering about how "SCARY!" those numbers are. The only reason you guys want to frighten us is because you hope it will reflect negatively on your President. That's pretty messed up thinking, dude.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Why can't one pay attention to the data with telling people that they should be fearful? Do you have any idea how many people are killed in auto accidents every year, or from falls at home, or die from the common flu on average? Yet nobody is running around whooping and hollering about how "SCARY!" those numbers are. The only reason you guys want to frighten us is because you hope it will reflect negatively on your President. That's pretty messed up thinking, dude.
          Ohh look, the dull little hobgoblin is out again spreading his master's latest talking point.

This was a preventable crises. So, no people had to die at all if it was handled correctly. It wasn't. That of course is the issue, but since your retard leader is a retard lots of preventable deaths will follow in his wake.

Do you have any idea how many people have died from the virus in Lombardy, Italy relative to how many people die in Italy due to car accidents on average per year?

Meanwhile the number of deaths continues to compound by 13% daily, thus, on track for 1 million deaths in a months time and 36 million in two.

You were peddling some rosy predictions earlier - the claim was that this would kill 20,000 people in the US. As it stands, almost 10,000 have died in Italy, relative to a population 1/6 that of the US. In Lombardy, 4,861 people have died for a region with 10 million inhabitants. That is with strict social distancing policies in place. It is by no means the end of the crises there.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            You’re not doomed, but you are going to take a pretty good mauling, as we all will. This will burn itself out, and we will have a vaccine eventually. Into the future, sons of covid-19 will roam the earth for ever more, but they will be, more or less, assimilated. We will live with them as we live with many other viruses.

Meanwhile, for the next few months, our defences are down, and the body count is going to be disturbingly high (but never high enough to shame or embarrass the dear leader).

The politicians have to show us that they did their best, and that is all that we can ask of them.
            The projections are only as good as the assumptions of the people making them. Some of the early assumptions have been proved wrong or inaccurate. It’s very unlikely a million Americans will die, over this virus. But bad news gets eyeballs on the screen, so bad news, with worse case models and projections, wins out about every time.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
              Ohh look, the dull little hobgoblin is out again spreading his master's latest talking point.

This was a preventable crises. So, no people had to die at all if it was handled correctly. It wasn't. That of course is the issue, but since your retard leader is a retard lots of preventable deaths will follow in his wake.

Do you have any idea how many people have died from the virus in Lombardy, Italy relative to how many people die in Italy due to car accidents on average per year?

Meanwhile the number of deaths continues to compound by 13% daily, thus, on track for 1 million deaths in a months time and 36 million in two.

You were peddling some rosy predictions earlier - the claim was that this would kill 20,000 people in the US. As it stands, almost 10,000 have died in Italy, relative to a population 1/6 that of the US. In Lombardy, 4,861 people have died for a region with 10 million inhabitants. That is with strict social distancing policies in place. It is by no means the end of the crises there.
              As it has been explained already:

Italy has a lot more smokers and more heavy smokers.
              Italy is the retirement capital of Europe.

These are important factors to consider. Basing US projections on Italy, is insane.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Zero View Post
                This was a preventable crises.
                Yes, it was. Too bad China hid it from the rest of world, lied about it, and "silenced" anybody who tried to blow the whistle. Maybe if we had gotten an early heads up, this whole thing could have been nipped in the bud before it even left Wuhan.

Comment

These are important factors to consider. Basing US projections on Italy, is insane.
                  Also, the rest of the European Union abandoned Italy when they were begging for help and left them to fend for themselves.

Comment

I think we both know that such a comparison is not insane, the US has a relatively high rate of smoking, and high rates of obesity, high-blood pressure and other comorbidity conditions in excess of Italy's population. Insane is a projection that 20,000 deaths in the US is a likely outcome of this crises.
                    Last edited by Zara; 03-27-2020, 11:03 PM.

Comment

I think we both know that such a comparison is not insane, the US has a relatively high rate of smoking, high rates of obesity, high-blood pressure and other comorbidity conditions in excess of Italy's population. Insane is a projection that 20,000 deaths in the US is a likely outcome of this crises.
                      Italians consume far more cigarettes than we do and are one of the oldest countries in the world, but we’ll ignore that so you can panic for a while longer, k?
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Italians consume far more cigarettes than we do and are one of the oldest countries in the world, but we’ll ignore that so you can panic for a while longer, k?
                        Those are factors, however, they aren't the only factors. Even if we reduce them by a third, based on the factors you mention, that's still a significant number of deaths. And no where near 20,000. I don't think, given the general health of the US - with the average life expectancy of a male 76 (and declining) compared to 81 in Italy - that you'll fair much better than them.

Comment

Those are factors, however, they aren't the only factors. Even if we reduce them by a third, based on the factors you mention, that's still a significant number of deaths. And no where near 20,000. I don't think, given the general health of the US - with the average life expectancy of a male 76 (and declining) compared to 81 in Italy - that you'll fair much better than them.
                          I never said anything about 20,000 deaths. I think it will be higher than that, but lower than projections in the millions. Age is the biggest factor in death rates and guess what? Italy is filled with old people. Again, basing projections, on Italy, is insane.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I never said anything about 20,000 deaths. I think it will be higher than that, but lower than projections in the millions. Age is the biggest factor in death rates and guess what? Italy is filled with old people. Again, basing projections, on Italy, is insane.
                            Is it just age or does it also include poor health? If it is the latter then the US is likely to have just as big a problem as Italy.

Again, your assumption that you'll be significantly less affected is insane.

Comment

Is it just age or does it also include poor health? If it is the latter then the US is likely to have just as big a problem as Italy.
                              Data seems to indicate that age is the biggest factor with other risk factors adding up. Even at that, you’re assuming things, mainly assuming poor health is evenly spread across the population (hint, it isn’t, obesity and high blood pressure tend to rise in population, as age rises IE there’s more unhealthy 40 year olds vs 20 year olds).

Again, your assumption that you'll be significantly less affected is insane.
                              And your base assumption, that health risks are even across the population, no matter the age, is insane.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Also, the rest of the European Union abandoned Italy when they were begging for help and left them to fend for themselves.
                                And Italy’s system was built around receiving such help. The US isn’t.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment