Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    If that were true, what has happened in italy simply would not be happening. You're quoting a mortality rate 1/10 that of the flu. It would be impossible for a disease with such a low mortality rate to overwhelm any modern medical system.
    Mortality isn't the same as being sick enough to be in the hospital and tying up resources.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Wow...I didn't get THAT from any of the posts I read. I definitely missed the mark...
      Back at the start of this exchange, Pixie criticized wiping down shopping carts without gloves or mask. Reducing the germ load is possible without a mask or gloves, which is one goal of wiping down. And another goal which I did not bring up is the behavioral symbolism of wiping down surfaces, which cannot be ignored since it is significant. Shopping carts cannot be reasonably disinfected, sanitization is the goal. Army doctrine distinguished between sanitization and disinfecting when it comes to bio agents, bioweapons and normal disease agents in both combat and health care. (military portable hospitals are not designed for dealing with infectious diseases, rather battlefield traumas. Which is why soldiers are moved out as quickly as possible)

My point is that each task in health care has an appropriate level protective gear, which parallels Army SOPs. Hospitals battled ubiquitous bugs like orsa and mersa, dangerous bugs like the flesh eating staph, etc. Seldom was full gear used. Hospitals have varying levels which are considered essential for the task (and I note that it has been less than a generation since gloves have been used for all contact with patients).

CDC knows what they are doing (I hope). If not, there are countless nursing and medical professionals out there. And they have thought through these things, and the information is out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Mortality isn't the same as being sick enough to be in the hospital and tying up resources.
        True, but somewher around 50% of those that end up in The ICU with this die. Given that, my statement stands.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          Back at the start of this exchange, Pixie criticized wiping down shopping carts without gloves or mask. Reducing the germ load is possible without a mask or gloves, which is one goal of wiping down. And another goal which I did not bring up is the behavioral symbolism of wiping down surfaces, which cannot be ignored since it is significant. Shopping carts cannot be reasonably disinfected, sanitization is the goal. Army doctrine distinguished between sanitization and disinfecting when it comes to bio agents, bioweapons and normal disease agents in both combat and health care. (military portable hospitals are not designed for dealing with infectious diseases, rather battlefield traumas. Which is why soldiers are moved out as quickly as possible)

My point is that each task in health care has an appropriate level protective gear, which parallels Army SOPs. Hospitals battled ubiquitous bugs like orsa and mersa, dangerous bugs like the flesh eating staph, etc. Seldom was full gear used. Hospitals have varying levels which are considered essential for the task (and I note that it has been less than a generation since gloves have been used for all contact with patients).

CDC knows what they are doing (I hope). If not, there are countless nursing and medical professionals out there. And they have thought through these things, and the information is out there.
          Wiping down surfaces does in fact reduce or eliminate any virus or bacteria not being brought into the environment by the person doing the wiping - which is the point of doing it to a grocery cart that was just selected to use in the store
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

There are countries with very low mortality. Russia, interestingly, with only 93 cases, has reported 0 deaths so far.
            They are speed building their second 500 beds hospital. The virus probably works the same in Russia as anywhere else. Maybe their figures are out of date.

Comment

True, but somewher around 50% of those that end up in The ICU with this die. Given that, my statement stands.
              I don't think that is true. Where do you get that number? Also not everyone in the hospital ends up in the ICU. But they still clog up the healthcare system, such as tying up doctors and nurses, hospital beds, equipment, etc.
              Last edited by Sparko; 03-17-2020, 02:36 PM.

Comment

If that were true, what has happened in italy simply would not be happening. You're quoting a mortality rate 1/10 that of the flu. It would be impossible for a disease with such a low mortality rate to overwhelm any modern medical system.
                Most people who die from the flu don't die in ICU and tie up critical resources. In Italy everyone with potential kung flu and serious symptoms are tying up resources.
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

How many people are rushing to the hospital and demanding unnecessary testing and treatment because they have a cough and are now convinced they're going to die because of the media's fearmongering, but in reality would recover quite well at home with a little rest and chicken soup? That will clog up the healthcare system just as readily as legitimate serious cases.
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-17-2020, 03:09 PM.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Wiping down surfaces does in fact reduce or eliminate any virus or bacteria not being brought into the environment by the person doing the wiping - which is the point of doing it to a grocery cart that was just selected to use in the store
                    As a practical matter, it merely reduces the number, it is not practical to nearly eliminate the virus load on the cart with a quick wipe down. Disinfecting a cart is impractical, the contact of the ungloved hand or breathing of the employee will only impart relatively few viruses.

It is the equivalent of reducing grime, which is effective in partially sanitizing equipment, and gloves and mask will make for little difference. So the employee was doing okay without the extra equipment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      How man people are rushing to the hospital and demanding unnecessary testing and treatment because they have a cough and are now convinced they're going to die because of the media's fearmongering, but in reality would recover quite well at home with a little rest and chicken soup? That will clog up the healthcare system just as readily as legitimate serious cases.
                      Given that we are just entering allergy season around here and often see pollen counts in five digits (when anything over 1000 is considered very high)[1], hospitals are expecting that a lot of people will flood hospitals thinking they have the coronavirus when it's an allergy even though they've gone through this every year.

1. The price we pay for being in many ways a "forest city."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I don't think that is true. Where do you get that number? Also not everyone in the hospital ends up in the ICU. But they still clog up the healthcare system, such as tying up doctors and nurses, hospital beds, equipment, etc.
                        Do you have a point? This thing is not .01% mortality. If we are lucky it is only 100x that.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                          As a practical matter, it merely reduces the number, it is not practical to nearly eliminate the virus load on the cart with a quick wipe down. Disinfecting a cart is impractical, the contact of the ungloved hand or breathing of the employee will only impart relatively few viruses.

It is the equivalent of reducing grime, which is effective in partially sanitizing equipment, and gloves and mask will make for little difference. So the employee was doing okay without the extra equipment.
                          Yes, any quick measure like wiping is unlikely to actually eliminate all germs on a surface. But the again, neither is it a necessary condition to see a benefit from doing it.

Comment

• I have spring crud now. But no fever or shortness of breath, so not the coronavirus! People can't tell the difference between allergies and pneumonia?
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              How many people are rushing to the hospital and demanding unnecessary testing and treatment because they have a cough and are now convinced they're going to die because of the media's fearmongering, but in reality would recover quite well at home with a little rest and chicken soup? That will clog up the healthcare system just as readily as legitimate serious cases.
                              That isnt what is happening in Italy. Or Iran. Or Spain. O France. Or UK.

Comment

Do you have a point? This thing is not .01% mortality. If we are lucky it is only 100x that.
                                My point was you told MM that "You're quoting a mortality rate 1/10 that of the flu. It would be impossible for a disease with such a low mortality rate to overwhelm any modern medical system."

Even with that low of a mortality rate (which I agree isn't that low) you could easily overwhelm the medical system. A - people panic and B - there could be more serious cases that require hospitalization but not end in death which could mean a very serious illness but with a low mortality rate.

Comment