Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI I found this information, revealing:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

Note that 75% of all deaths, in NYC, centered on an underlying medical condition.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Reopening had nothing to do with the jump in cases.
      And you know this how?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Which were how many centuries ago, with huge range in numbers?
        Why, exactly does that matter? You said "in human history." All of these happened "in human history."

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Anyway, 6 out of 7 cases slipping through the cracks is pretty serious, if the goal is containment, minimizing impact, and such a high death toll even with containment in full effect.
        I have no idea what this means. What exactly, is "slipping through the cracks?"

I doubt this will be as deadly because the data seems to go against some assumptions. Mainly, this disease is way more deadly over 55 vs to those under 55 or those in poor health.
        This is a very vague statement - so it isn't really saying anything that can be responded to.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

FYI I found this information, revealing:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

Note that 75% of all deaths, in NYC, centered on an underlying medical condition.
          Umm... we already know this. The elderly and those with existing underlying conditions (especially if they are related to pulmonary, cardio, or the immune system) are at significantly greater risk. Frankly, I'm surprised the number is as low as 75%. So I guess I have no idea what your point is.

Comment

• And this is sad indeed. No matter how we feel about groups that refuse to socially distance and thereby put others (as well as themselves) at risk, there is no justification for arson or any kind of violence. All this type of action does is further polarize the impacted faction.

Comment

• Once again the ignorance of our president and the danger that puts this country in, even the world, is on display as the reality of the pandemic collides with his fantasy approach to handling real world issues:

Three facts:

1) President Trump claims to be taking the drug hydroxychloroquine prophylacticly. Now whether he acknowledges it or not, this puts people at risk because they will follow his example and because:

2) The largest study so far shows that:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/healt...day/index.html

Source: above

Seriously ill Covid-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine were more likely to die or develop dangerous heart arrhythmias, according to a large observational study published Friday in the medical journal The Lancet.

---

Those treatments were linked with a higher risk of dying in the hospital, the study found. About 1 in 6 patients treated with chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine alone died in the hospital, compared to 1 in 11 patients in the control group.

About 1 in 5 patients treated with chloroquine and an antibiotic died and almost 1 in 4 treated with hydroxychloroquine and an antibiotic died.

Additionally, the study found serious cardiac arrhythmias were more common among patients who received any of the four treatments. The largest increase was among the group treated with hydroxychloroquine and an an antibiotic -- 8% of those patients developed a heart arrythmia, compared to 0.3% of the control group.

© Copyright Original Source

(As an aside, this also puts the presidency itself at risk, as have many other actions or inactions taken on his part (e.g. not wearing a mask in public settings and having others not wear masks around him))

3) as to whether or not people will follow the president's example:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/healt...nvs/index.html
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-22-2020, 11:11 AM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                And you know this how?
                Because it can take ad long as 14 days, for symptoms to appear?
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Umm... we already know this. The elderly and those with existing underlying conditions (especially if they are related to pulmonary, cardio, or the immune system) are at significantly greater risk. Frankly, I'm surprised the number is as low as 75%. So I guess I have no idea what your point is.
                  That locking up the entire population, for a disease that affects mainly the old and sick, is why you see push back and fewer and fewer caring? That we need to lock down nursing homes, hospice care centers, and hospitals areas with critical patiences vs stores, small businesses, and parks?
                  Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 05-22-2020, 11:20 AM.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

We've been moving out of lockdown for 3 weeks now. That is 21 days.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      We've been moving out of lockdown for 3 weeks now. That is 21 days.
                      I wasn’t aware that the entire country was opened up or opened up for three weeks.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And, unless I'm mistaken, we've had some states that never completely shut down and others that have been reopening to one degree or another since the beginning of May (3 weeks ago). So, again, how do you come to the conclusion that reopening has nothing to do with the increased numbers...?

Comment

And, unless I'm mistaken, we've had some states that never completely shut down and others that have been reopening to one degree or another since the beginning of May (3 weeks ago). So, again, how do you come to the conclusion that reopening has nothing to do with the increased numbers...?
                          It is broken down by state. Maybe you should try looking at each state?
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I wasn’t aware that the entire country was opened up or opened up for three weeks.
                            As noted in my post, various states have had various approaches. Some states never completely shut down. Some states began opening near the end of April and some in early March. Indeed, there is a statistically significant correlation between states that either never shut down or began reopening 3-4 weeks ago and states that are seeing a continuing upward trend in their confirmed infection and death rates.

Comment

That locking up the entire population, for a disease that affects mainly the old and sick, is why you see push back and fewer and fewer caring?
                              Oh I have no doubt about that. We live in a "me-first" society today. So as the confinement has lagged on and people have begun to ask "what's in this for me?" it is inevitable that we would see this kind of fatigue and resistance.

That we need to lock down nursing homes, hospice care centers, and hospitals areas with critical patiences vs stores, small businesses, and parks?
                              Well...we need to reduce interactions until there is a way to protect all of the most vulnerable, whatever form that takes. Ideally, we would have a comprehensive testing strategy because those who have already had and survived the virus need no longer observe a lockdown. But there is no energy for this and we get the inevitable "my civil liberties" push back.

We now live in a society that cares more about itself than it's neighbors. It is a sad commentary on our society.

Comment

It is broken down by state. Maybe you should try looking at each state?
                                I have. Why don't you take a moment and investigate the timing of reopening and the statistics for new infections and deaths on a state by state basis. I think you'll find an interesting correlation.

Comment