Page 365 of 405 FirstFirst ... 265315355363364365366367375 ... LastLast
Results 3,641 to 3,650 of 4046

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    "Preliminary results from a nationwide coronavirus antibody study show that about 5% of the overall Spanish population has been affected, the Health Ministry said on Wednesday, adding that results varied widely from region to region." https://www.isciii.es/Noticias/Notic...NECOVID19.aspx
    And that doesn’t tell me the age breakdown. Are younger people getting it at the same rate, but being asymptomatic or have less severe symptoms? That’s an important detail to know because most of the lab confirmed cases come from those over 65, with 88% confirmed cases being over 55 and 93% of all deaths are 55 or older. Other countries show a similar pattern, so we really need to know the age group breakdown.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisiona...nd-S/9bhg-hcku
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 05-15-2020 at 03:18 AM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Linick firing:

Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) called the firing “shameful” in a late Friday tweet. “Another late Friday night attack on independence, accountability, and career officials,” he wrote. “At this point, the President’s paralyzing fear of any oversight is undeniable.”

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), also on Twitter, said “inspectors general are inconvenient, pesky brutes if your goal is turn the government into a cash cow for your friends, cronies and family.”
    Yes, remove oversight, pocket the cash.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    unbeliever
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Linick firing:

The mafia has been doing that for centuries... same old same old...

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Linick firing:

The RWNJ Daily Wire chimes in showing some legitimate grounds for his disposal.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    The RWNJ Daily Wire chimes in showing some legitimate grounds for his disposal.
    No - Trump fires people that are in his way and has no tolerance for competence or integrity that might eclipse loyalty to him.This has been the pattern for 4 years. It's just wrong to even try to claim there is any other reason at this point.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    It certainly seems to be a suicide related to a business failure. However, the article notes that this chain of stores has had a series of closures over the last year, the rest occurring before covid, and that the article writer is unaware of any evidence that this closure was covid-related.
    The guy's store went from a turnover of $92,000 a week before Covid to nothing at all during the lockdown. I think it most likely that that was a major cause of his high stress levels, although the business might have failed even if there was no lockdown.

In a video with TVNZ during alert level 4, Green said many stores like his were struggling.

"We're just struggling big time, we need to sell meat to actually make any money," Green said.

"And at the moment we're not selling meat, so we're not making any money.

"The money I do have in the bank is all going to outgoings at the moment, it's just a tough struggle.

The shop had been turning over $92,000 per week prior to the lockdown but was making no money in level 4, TVNZ reported.

"The stress at the moment we're under trying to pay everyone is ridiculous.

"I've spent nights awake in bed.

"Some nights I've sat there crying, wondering what I'm going to do next. It's just not fair."

On April 25, a post to the Mad Butcher Pukekohe Facebook page said the shop would not be opening in alert level 3.

The Mad Butcher opened on the first day of the lockdown, saying it met the definition of an essential business, but they were eventually told to shut.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVel View Post
    The guy's store went from a turnover of $92,000 a week before Covid to nothing at all during the lockdown. I think it most likely that that was a major cause of his high stress levels, although the business might have failed even if there was no lockdown.
    Personally, I think these forms of speculation are largely useless. Many (most?) on the left will say "was going down anyway" because that fits their narrative. Many (most?) on the right will say "it was due to covid" because that fits their narrative.

If we step away and just look at what we know - the answer is we don't know. Furthermore, unless he left a note or told someone before he died, we probably won't ever know.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    No - Trump fires people that are in his way and has no tolerance for competence or integrity that might eclipse loyalty to him.This has been the pattern for 4 years. It's just wrong to even try to claim there is any other reason at this point.
    We are dealing with an administration that lies, obfuscates, and manipulates. It sets out to smear those it does not like and then, where it is possible, removes them. The most likely reality is that they grabbed any reason they could think of to smear the man and then unloaded him.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

9. Amen oxmixmudd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Personally, I think these forms of speculation are largely useless. Many (most?) on the left will say "was going down anyway" because that fits their narrative. Many (most?) on the right will say "it was due to covid" because that fits their narrative.

If we step away and just look at what we know - the answer is we don't know. Furthermore, unless he left a note or told someone before he died, we probably won't ever know.

You're probably right, we most likely won't ever know for certain why he died. But we can certainly say that the lockdown increased his stress levels - that's what he himself said.

And this - this hard to measure, difficult to quantify thing - is a variable that we need to include in our decision making process that forms our strategies for dealing with the pandemic. That's our tragedy here, too.

Lockdowns DO affect people's lives, and they do have a cost, hard (or impossible) though that is to measure. I'm mostly concerned that people are making decisions while looking at only part of the data, and are weighting that part too highly, because it's immediate, emotional, visible and quantifiable. As Leonhard said in his Denmark thread, there is a point (somewhere) where it costs too much to preserve one person's life.

The video that started me thinking about this more is here. An expert is saying that eventually, we will all face the spread of Covid through our community. In fact, it has already spread a lot more widely than many people realise - which is actually comforting in a way, because that would make the mortality rate lower than we currently think it is. IN the light of that inevitable spread, the value of a lockdown becomes less - it's a delay, not a solution.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVel View Post
    You're probably right, we most likely won't ever know for certain why he died. But we can certainly say that the lockdown increased his stress levels - that's what he himself said.

And this - this hard to measure, difficult to quantify thing - is a variable that we need to include in our decision making process that forms our strategies for dealing with the pandemic. That's our tragedy here, too.

Lockdowns DO affect people's lives, and they do have a cost, hard (or impossible) though that is to measure. I'm mostly concerned that people are making decisions while looking at only part of the data, and are weighting that part too highly, because it's immediate, emotional, visible and quantifiable. As Leonhard said in his Denmark thread, there is a point (somewhere) where it costs too much to preserve one person's life.

The video that started me thinking about this more is here. An expert is saying that eventually, we will all face the spread of Covid through our community. In fact, it has already spread a lot more widely than many people realise - which is actually comforting in a way, because that would make the mortality rate lower than we currently think it is. IN the light of that inevitable spread, the value of a lockdown becomes less - it's a delay, not a solution.
    You are right in that if the mortality is actually very low and if there is nothing that will keep most from getting the disease, then that lowers the value of a lockdown significantly. But we cant really know enough to evaouate that cost without widespread testing, which the administration has tended to treat as unnecessary and/or tended to drag its feet in implementing.

right now we have whispers that it might be 1/2 of the apparent mortality. Whispers. But the hard facts we have is that of those diagnosed, 3 to 6% die. Just look at any nation's case count vs mortality. And if those whispers are correct, that is still 1.5 to 3% mortality. And those numbers say the lockdown is worth the price, because those numbers will bring us to our knees if we dont slow the spread.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-16-2020 at 08:31 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"