Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And the biggest jump appears to be among younger people. For instance, the average age of someone here in my state has dropped by 20 years in just the past month.

I wonder if there is some plausible explanation for that

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46223[/ATTACH]

Moreover, the daily number of deaths from the Chicom coronavirus has been dropping sharply, which for some odd reason the MSM has little interest in reporting.
    Oh yeah...one more thing...

I seem to recall a lot of churches that refused to close. Indeed, de Santis deemed them "essential services" and they stayed open in Florida. I'm sure that had nothing to do with the virus spreading in Florida and other states...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• "Alabama students hold COVID-19 parties with prize for first person to get sick" https://twitter.com/i/events/1278681554290532353
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        "Alabama students hold COVID-19 parties with prize for first person to get sick" https://twitter.com/i/events/1278681554290532353
        That really reminds me of Edgar Allan Poe's Mask of the Red Death.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          "Alabama students hold COVID-19 parties with prize for first person to get sick" https://twitter.com/i/events/1278681554290532353
          The person who thought this up wins.

They're already pretty sick

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Blame the protestors across the country.
            Agreed...both the "end racism" protests and the "end the shutdown" protests...

...and all of the bars, restaurants, and other gathering places that opened before we had this under control...

...and the Trump rallies...

...and the open churches holding services indoors...

...and all of the people wandering around in public and refusing to wear masks...

...and all of the people throwing parties for friends and neighbors...

...and the list goes on....
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Interesting comparison between flues and Covid-19

Source: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/24/820797301/fact-check-trump-compares-coronavirus-to-the-flu-but-they-are-not-the-same

But the two really can't be compared. They are very different and present different kinds of dangers. Here's how they are different, per a story done four days ago by Pien Huang, a reporter on NPR's Science Desk who covers global health and development:

How The Novel Coronavirus And The Flu Are Alike ... And Different

1. COVID-19 is novel, or new. That means there's no vaccine, and it's unclear how it will manifest;

2. This strain of coronavirus appears to infect two to 2.5 people versus 1.3 with the flu, so coronavirus seems to be about twice as contagious as the flu; [Note: This may not be the case considering the widespread asymptomatic cases and mildly infected for COVID-19, but likely true for severe cases.]

3. Some 20% of coronavirus patients are in serious enough condition to go to the hospital, 10 times the number who wind up in the hospital because of the flu;

4. Hospital stays for the coronavirus are twice as as long as for the flu;

5. About 8% of people get the flu every year. Some estimates are 25% to 50%, possibly up to 80%, could get the coronavirus without drastic actions being taken by individuals, states and municipalities and the federal government;

6. The coronavirus could be 10 times deadlier than the flu — about 0.1% who get flu die. It's estimated that about 1% of those who have gotten coronavirus have died from it;

7. There are treatments for the flu. There are no approved treatments for the coronavirus, despite the president's optimism for certain drugs, which are untested for coronavirus to this point; and

8. The flu tends to wane in warm weather, but it's too soon to count on that for coronavirus, which is thriving in warm, tropical places. [ Note: The region that this coronavirus originated is a warm tropical region.]

© Copyright Original Source

Other differences are: (1) Flu viruses continually mutate into a wide range of variations to increase the ability to infect the host us every year. This coronavirusdoes does not appear to mutate as much as the flu, and is more similar in this manner as the 2003 SARS coronavirus. (2) Flus readily hope from host to host and back to humans seasonally. This is one of the unknowns of this coronavirus. If it migrates to another animal this increases the possibility that it may reinfect humans. Believe it or not cats are a candidate. This regional variety of coronaviruses doe migrate between spesies, and some to humans, but it is not known that this particular virus can be cyclic outside its region of origin. (3) One thing they both share with other xoonotic viruses is the follow a bell curve infection relationship over time with the host, and then fad away. The unknown with this coronavirus is if it returns or persists as an endemic virus to humanity. (4) Those that recovery from serious COVID-19 suffer more complications than those that recover from serious flu infections.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-02-2020, 05:32 PM.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Research into state health regulations by Fog City Midge shows that new guidance for the definition of COVID-19 positive infections is likely the biggest background cause in a dramatic upswing in positive test results.

[...]

This revelation would explain exactly why those who construct the reporting systems are pushing so hard for contact tracing. According to the new guidance anyone who comes into contact with a person who tests positive is now also considered positive.

Nice convenient way to inflate the infection rate.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...g-definitions/
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Research into state health regulations by Fog City Midge shows that new guidance for the definition of COVID-19 positive infections is likely the biggest background cause in a dramatic upswing in positive test results.

[...]

This revelation would explain exactly why those who construct the reporting systems are pushing so hard for contact tracing. According to the new guidance anyone who comes into contact with a person who tests positive is now also considered positive.

Nice convenient way to inflate the infection rate.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...g-definitions/
                  Breitfart stooges are not a reliable source.

Your neglecting the fact that there is a large increase in severe cases and hospitalizations in June. This is the hallmark of the June surge, and not total positive tests

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/23/coronavirus-live-updates-us/

Seven states report highest coronavirus hospitalizations since pandemic began

Seven states are reporting new highs for current coronavirus hospitalizations, according to data tracked by The Washington Post — Arizona, Arkansas, California, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas — as the number of infections continues to climb across the South and West. More than 800 covid-19 deaths were reported in the United States on Tuesday, the first time fatalities have increased since June 7.

Texas and California on Tuesday eclipsed 5,000 new cases of the novel coronavirus over a 24-hour span — records in those states. Arizona, Nevada and Missouri also logged new single-day highs. Overall, 33 states and U.S. territories now have a rolling average of new cases that is higher than last week.

Worldwide, there are more than 9 million confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, with more than 2.3 million cases and at least 119,000 deaths reported in the United States.

Here are some significant developments:

Following often bitter and contentious negotiations after the sport was effectively shut down amid the pandemic in mid-March, Major League Baseball is set to open ‘spring’ training camps July 1 and set Opening Day for July 23 or 24.

Top federal health officials warned Tuesday that the surge in infections in more than a dozen states could worsen without new restrictions. They also contradicted President Trump’s recent claims that he told officials to slow testing so the country would record fewer cases.

The federal government plans to end support of testing sites on June 30, including seven sites in Texas, where cases and hospitalizations are climbing rapidly.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning people not to use hand sanitizer from a Mexican manufacturer, Eskbiochem, after finding methanol, a toxic and potentially fatal substance, in some of its products.

Voters in Kentucky were on track to cast ballots in record numbers for Tuesday’s primary despite the risk of coronavirus infection and shortages of poll workers, thanks in part to the widespread embrace of voting by mail.

Trump told aides that he is largely supportive of sending Americans another round of stimulus checks, believing the payments will boost the economy and help his chances at reelection in November, according to three people aware of internal administration deliberations. However, leading congressional Republicans and some senior White House officials remain skeptical.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-03-2020, 01:16 PM.
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Breitfart stooges are not a reliable source.
                    The genetic fallacy is not a valid argument.

Comment

The genetic fallacy is not a valid argument.
                      The fact that the news report is false is measure of the lack of credibility of the source.

The argument is that the news article is false.

Failure to respond to the fact that the increase in the severity of the pandemic in June is NOT due to increased testing and increase in the number of cases The measure of the severity of the pandemic in June is based on the extreme increase in severe cases and hospitalizations in June.

The number of cases based on testing alone has never been an adequate measure of the severity of the pandemic over time. The results of testing both testing in health care facilities is not an unbiased estimate of cases. At best it is a rough statistical sample of the population. As with the web sites cited no single measure stands alone.

Still waiting . . .
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-03-2020, 04:49 PM.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        The argument is that the news article is false.
                        Okay, then go ahead and present that argument.

Anyway, here's the original source, where you can see how they magically turn one positive case into 16 "probable" cases, whereas previous definitions sensibly said that one positive case was one positive case:

https://eagenda.collincountytx.gov/d...lanation%2Epdf

They also say that a person who dies does not need to have tested positive for China flu in order to state that as the cause of death, which is another nice trick for inflating the numbers.
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-03-2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

He already did, and you ignored all of it.

Asking him to again present an argument you're going to ignore is dishonest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            He already did...
                            No, he didn't. He completely ignored the article I referenced and went on to argue about something entirely unrelated.

Comment

Anyway, here's the original source, where you can see how they magically turn one positive case into 16 "probable" cases, whereas previous definitions sensibly said that one positive case was one positive case:

https://eagenda.collincountytx.gov/d...lanation%2Epdf

They also say that a person who dies does not need to have tested positive for China flu in order to state that as the cause of death, which is another nice trick for inflating the numbers.
                              A simple reference on confirmed cases and tracking does not support your reference.

The case is as presented and documented that surge and high rate of infections in June is based on the surge of severe cases and hospitalizations, and not high numbers of testing. You have failed to respond to this fact.

As far as the argument for anonymous tracking is based on a broader argument to monitor the spread as successfully done in other countries.

OK, if you want to discuss the pros and cons of tracking, but your reference misses the mark on the reality of what determined the evidence for the surge of infections in June.

Frank

Comment

No, he didn't. He completely ignored the article I referenced and went on to argue about something entirely unrelated.
                                Well, from your source: "Research into state health regulations by Fog City Midge shows that new guidance for the definition of COVID-19 positive infections is likely the biggest background cause in a dramatic upswing in positive test results."

'Fog City Midge' is more expressing an opinion nothing more. It is more complicated than the simple generalization of 'background cause.' The coronavirus is the background cause.

Positive infection statistics are NOT the biggest background cause in the upswing of positive test results. Simply positive test results are simply that, and actually to be meaningful we need tracking as is successfully implemented in other countries to determine the trends and connections between tracking contacts and the severe cases and hospitalizations.

The upswing of positive test results in June is demonstrated by the high number of severe cases and hospitalizations.
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-03-2020, 07:26 PM.

Frank

Comment