Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    The point is that by Donald Trump trying to blame the Chinese for the virus (e.g. "the China virus")...
    Jim, the liberal media has been calling it "the Chinese coronavirus" and "the Wuhan virus" for MONTHS, but all of sudden liberals and other idiots like you are running around with their hair on fire just because Trump said it.

Grow up, man. Your anti-Trump hysteria isn't helping.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The point is that by Donald Trump trying to blame the Chinese for the virus (e.g. "the China virus"), he opened the door to the tit-for-tat response by the Chinese to try to shift blame on US.

Don't forget that in the same right wing conservative nuthouse media Trump and his followers use to define their reality there is a good amount of conspiracy laden undercurrent that COVID-19 is a Chinese bio-weapon research 'oops'. The Chinese know that undercurrent is there. So they likely are defending themselves against it with a 'paranoid conspiracy' counter of the same ilk and of similar plausibility - at least to the Chinese public.
      Trump calling it the "the China virus" (I'm assuming you're correct that he's calling it that because I honestly don't know) I'm sure doesn't mean he's positing a conspiracy theory that they created the virus. He's pointing out the origins of the virus, which, at this point, is a fact that can't be disputed. The MSM is also doing this because that's a fact. China countering that with an accusation that US intentionally released the virus is like a LIGHT YEARS difference. You're comparing apples to oranges, and there's no way you can blame Trump for that (well, you certainly can but we've all come to expect that). That this disease originated in China is fact. Their accusation that US created this as a bio-weapon and released it in their country is conspiracy theory. Either China officials have some pretty damning facts to back such an extraordinary claim like that or they're out of their freaking minds with paranoia. If the latter is true, it doesn't matter what Trump does or doesn't say because China officials are freaking unhinged.

Comment

That is exactly the Ticket.

Trump is a fool. And in this he needs to be slienced and sidelined. He and his administration have had months to foresee and put together a response to this thing before it got here. Instead, he has spent this time gutting the CDC and playing political games trying to paint this alternately as a hoax, a democratic ploy, or something that will just miraculously disappear.
        And do tell, what country was already ‘on the ball’ about this outbreak and what could have been done differently, using the information on hand, at the time? Be specific.

Yes - he deserves the blame. As do all the idiots that continue to believe this is a hoax, or a democratic ploy, that knew he was a fool and an idiot yet yelled out their support for him year after year and gave him no cause to pause and face reality for what it is.
        Examples? So far lots of foaming at the mouth, but no actual specific examples have been produced.

What we face today are the consequences of justifying him, supporting him, ignoring the wisdom found in the Proverbs, the scripture, nearly every religion on the face of this planet about what the consequences are if being led by a fool.
        The outbreaks here seem to be more controlled than in other countries, but whatever you want to tell yourself since you haven’t produced any examples beyond opinions and fake news.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Covid-19 is a good example of why universal healthcare, or medicare for all, is the way to go. If everyone has access to affordable healthcare then we would be better able to contain a pandemic. If millions of people are walking around with the infection because they can't afford to see a doctor then it is more likely to spread. And look at the cost of trying to deal with that. 8.3 billion in government aid so far, and a probable economic recession.
          Hate to break it to you Jimmy, but an overwhelmed health care system is going to have problems. No matter the insurance.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The point is that by Donald Trump trying to blame the Chinese for the virus (e.g. "the China virus"), he opened the door to the tit-for-tat response by the Chinese to try to shift blame on US.

Don't forget that in the same right wing conservative nuthouse media Trump and his followers use to define their reality* there is a good amount of conspiracy laden undercurrent that COVID-19 is a Chinese bio-weapon research 'oops'. The Chinese know that undercurrent is there. So they likely are defending themselves against it with a 'paranoid conspiracy' counter of the same ilk and of similar plausibility - at least to the Chinese public.

ETA: *I acknowledge that extreme ignorance has many flavors, which include both liberal and conservative.
            Where did the virus start? Is it suddenly taboo to call a virus the origins of where it started? The media has been using that term and similar ones, for months. Sounds like media is kowtowing to Beijing, yet again...
            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-13-2020, 11:30 AM.
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Don't forget that in the same right wing conservative nuthouse media Trump and his followers use to define their reality* there is a good amount of conspiracy laden undercurrent that COVID-19 is a Chinese bio-weapon research 'oops'. The Chinese know that undercurrent is there. So they likely are defending themselves against it with a 'paranoid conspiracy' counter of the same ilk and of similar plausibility - at least to the Chinese public.

ETA: *I acknowledge that extreme ignorance has many flavors, which include both liberal and conservative.
              Essentially nearly the entire world is (correctly) blaming China, not just Trump.

The indisputable fact is that for the first six weeks they suppressed and punished those who were telling the truth about what was happening. Dr. Li Wenliang, the Chinese whistleblower[1] who tried to issue the first warning about the coronavirus, was arrested and placed under house arrest and then died -- supposedly of the disease. The Chinese government also claims his colleague Mei Zhongming has also died, again supposedly of it as well.

Further, they refused outside assistance and wouldn't share the virus so it could be studied.

This pandemic is dramatically worse due to the Chinese government's behavior. Those in China who have noted this have vanished from sight, just like the now deceased whistleblower and his colleague. Anyone who mentions any of this outside the country gets branded as being a xenophobe and racist by the Chicoms and their stooges here. The Chinese government was and still is far concerned about their image than fighting this deadly disease.

1. An actual whistleblower, not someone spreading gossip he heard second or third hand.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Universal health INSURANCE (let's call it what it really is) wouldn't have done a damn thing to improve this situation. It would have just overloaded the system, and we would be looking at severe shortages and rationing right now.
                Italy has universal healthcare since the late 70s and yet look what's happening there. Britain also has universal healthcare but has been subject to increasing criticism for how they're handling it.

Interestingly, Britain appears to be delaying local elections for a year

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  Where did the virus start? Is it suddenly taboo to call a virus the origins of where it started? The media has been using that term and similar ones, for months. Sounds like media is kowtowing to Beijing, yet again...
                  And the New York Times is calling what everyone else recognizes as baseless propaganda (that the U.S. and Trump are to blame for causing it) a "theory" and thus giving it credence. TDS runs deep among the left and Never Trumpers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Jim, the liberal media has been calling it "the Chinese coronavirus" and "the Wuhan virus" for MONTHS, but all of sudden liberals and other idiots like you are running around with their hair on fire just because Trump said it.

Grow up, man. Your anti-Trump hysteria isn't helping.
                    See https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._of_times.html for a video of them calling it that dozens of times but when Trump did the same then overnight it was declared racist and xenophobic by the same people who were using it.

Moreover...

Source: Woke Media Calls Term ‘Wuhan Virus’ Racist After Using Term ‘Wuhan Virus’

In fact, it is common practice for diseases to be named after populations or places of their origin such as the West Nile Virus from the West Nile district of Uganda, or the St. Louis Encephalitis. Other examples include Lyme Disease from Lyme, Connecticut, the Guinea Worm from the Guinea coast of West Africa, the German Measles for the German doctors who first described it, the Ross River Fever from Australia, the Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever from Omsk Russia, the Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever from the Ebola River, the Marburg Virus Disease from Marburg, Germany, the Lassa Fever from Lassa, Nigeria, La Crosse Encephalitis from La Crosse, Wisconsin, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

They forgot the Spanish Flu and the Hendra virus (named after a suburb of Brisbane, Australia).

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      Trump calling it the "the China virus" (I'm assuming you're correct that he's calling it that because I honestly don't know) I'm sure doesn't mean he's positing a conspiracy theory that they created the virus. He's pointing out the origins of the virus, which, at this point, is a fact that can't be disputed. The MSM is also doing this because that's a fact. China countering that with an accusation that US intentionally released the virus is like a LIGHT YEARS difference. You're comparing apples to oranges, and there's no way you can blame Trump for that (well, you certainly can but we've all come to expect that). That this disease originated in China is fact. Their accusation that US created this as a bio-weapon and released it in their country is conspiracy theory. Either China officials have some pretty damning facts to back such an extraordinary claim like that or they're out of their freaking minds with paranoia. If the latter is true, it doesn't matter what Trump does or doesn't say because China officials are freaking unhinged.
                      Or the Chinese officials are trying to detract from there responsibility in this by making a false accusation.
                      Last edited by RumTumTugger; 03-13-2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Oxmix, calm down, one of these days you are going to OD on Fake News.

While being very infectious, in terms of severity the virus is a nothingburger and is almost certainly less deadly than the flu.
                        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                          Oxmix, calm down, one of these days you are going to OD on Fake News.

While being very infectious, in terms of severity the virus is a nothingburger and is almost certainly less deadly than the flu.
                          Severity isn't a nothingburger...older people are expotentially more affected than younger people. I have parents in their late 70's that I would be fearful of them getting it, while I probably wouldn't sweat it much...it's all relative.

Italy is a prime example with their death rate holding right at 6.7% which is a far cry from their 2018 flu deaths which were in the 1.5% ~ 1.7% range...Italy's avg. age is about 11 years older than the US, which may account for their higher death toll. I know Austria claims to be similar to Italy in their avg age per person, and so are very fearful of it spreading to their country.
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Try telling that to Italy. They ran out of ventilators.

There is a lot of resistance to seasonal flu in the population.
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              And the New York Times is calling what everyone else recognizes as baseless propaganda (that the U.S. and Trump are to blame for causing it) a "theory" and thus giving it credence. TDS runs deep among the left and Never Trumpers.
                              Hating Trump and paying homage to an actual group of brutal dictators, bent on destroying America. Sounds like a win-win situation to them.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Your last sentence is just not supported by the evidence.

Comment