Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    It would not be the Chinese strategy that is advisable, because actually they did a terrible job initially failing to heed the professional advice, and have undercounted the cases and deaths from the virus.

It is South Korea and Japan are the examples of a proactive aggressive approach from the beginning that the USA failed to do.
    Nah, the RIGHT approach would have been to just let the virus spread and instead of directing all those trillions into trying to save wallstreet and corporations, we should have put all the money and resources towards the medical industry -- new hospitals, training medical personnel, medical supplies, research, etc. -- specifically to fight this virus. Then the rest of the money should have been directed to any individual affected by the virus -- loss of wages, job loss, etc. Stopping industry and disrupting the economy like we did is going to have worse negative effects on people's lives than the virus itself. That would have been the RIGHT thing to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Nah, the RIGHT approach would have been to just let the virus spread and instead of directing all those trillions into trying to save wallstreet and corporations, we should have put all the money and resources towards the medical industry -- new hospitals, training medical personnel, medical supplies, research, etc. -- specifically to fight this virus. Then the rest of the money should have been directed to any individual affected by the virus -- loss of wages, job loss, etc. Stopping industry and disrupting the economy like we did is going to have worse negative effects on people's lives than the virus itself. That would have been the RIGHT thing to do.
      Your economy is geared so that when things go wrong, people suffer. The worse effect on people's lives is due to the extreme economic model, not the virus or how people reacted.

Planning for a virus - on a global scale - would have been the thing to do, but the right can't, so you didn't. You had the best economy because you were taking massive risks, you lost the bet. It should have been game over.

New hospitals, staff training, research, etc, takes time. You had months (decades even), didn't do a thing, the markets acted. Trump didn't.

Leaving the virus be and it would have hit exponential growth, and without clear research into its effects, a very risky move. Analysis suggests 2.2 million dead in the US, from the do nothing approach, with a peak while you're still figuring out how to build those hospitals, etc. The problem with extreme right-wing economics is that people need to die for it to work (the US has a male life expectancy of 76), a contradiction with a civil society in which people matter.
      Last edited by Zara; 03-30-2020, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Doesn't matter, Lilpix. SK began testing a week after their first confirmed case and has tested 5 times as many people per capita as the US who didn't even begin testing until 6 weeks later.
        Did you bother to figure out the details? The earlier test were inaccurate with as higher as a 40% incorrect negative. Which is worthless.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
          Your economy is geared so that when things go wrong, people suffer. The worse effect on people's lives is due to the extreme economic model, not the virus or how people reacted.

Planning for a virus - on a global scale - would have been the thing to do, but the right can't, so you didn't. You had the best economy because you were taking massive risks, you lost the bet. It should have been game over.

New hospitals, staff training, research, etc, takes time. You had months (decades even), didn't do a thing, the markets acted. Trump didn't.

Leaving the virus be and it would have hit exponential growth, and without clear research into its effects, a very risky move. Analysis suggests 2.2 million dead in the US, from the do nothing approach, with a peak while you're still figuring out how to build those hospitals, etc. The problem with extreme right-wing economics is that people need to die for it to work (the US has a male life expectancy of 76), a contradiction with a civil society in which people matter.
          And how many countries admit a million immigrants, per year? What is this ‘extreme economic model? Finally, did Europe or any other country spend months prepping?
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Your "right-wing" spiel is retarded and proves you know nothing about economics and how the central bank is connected to that subject. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to with partisan politics. I didn't say do NOTHING in that post you quoted, did I, dumbass?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
              Your "right-wing" spiel is retarded and proves you know nothing about economics and how the central bank is connected to that subject. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to with partisan politics. I didn't say do NOTHING in that post you quoted, did I, dumbass?
              You said do something that should have happened decades ago, i.e., well before the crises. The reason it didn't happen, is because of your dumb-ass political and economic system. I agree you didn't say do nothing, what you said to do was effectively impossible so it might as well have been, do nothing.

Comment

You said do something that should have happened decades ago, i.e., well before the crises. The reason it didn't happen, is because of your dumb-ass political and economic system. I agree you didn't say do nothing, what you said to do was effectively impossible so it might as well have been, do nothing.
                Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 isn't it? Real sensible argument. And there's nothing whatsoever "impossible" about what I said.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  Did you bother to figure out the details? The earlier test were inaccurate with as higher as a 40% incorrect negative. Which is worthless.
                  Six weeks, lipix, six weeks behind S Korea who had the proper tests kits ready in 1 week, and still the U.S. doesn't have enough testing. In response to Montana Governor Bullock, who said, on a conference call between the Governors and the Administration, that they don't have enough test kits available, the dufus in the Oval Office jumped in and said "I haven't heard anything about a problem with testing." Is he a complete moron or what? He hasn't heard about a problem with testing! Have you heard about a problem with testing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Of course we don't know if the rate will hold. As Dr. Fauci recently said, "I just don’t think that we really need to make a projection when it’s such a moving target, that you could so easily be wrong."

But good job keeping up with the fearmongering. You wouldn't anybody to start feeling little bit optimistic, would you?

[...]
                    You should ask Birx that question:

Birx agreed with Dr. Anthony Fauci’s belief that if nothing is done to combat the virus’ spread, there could be up to 2.2 million deaths and said she is “very worried about every city in the United States,” but said the between 100,000-200,000 mark would be the best case scenario.
                    “We’ve looked at the Italy data with their self-isolation, and that’s where we come up with if we do things together well, almost perfectly, we could get in the range of 100,000 to 200,000 fatalities. We don’t even want to see that,” she added.
                    https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2020...ost-perfectly/

Note the words "best case scenario".
                    Last edited by Charles; 03-31-2020, 03:30 AM.
                    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      In doing so, you assumed - your cutesy "acceptance" notwithstanding.
                      Yeah, I assumed rogue's figure was correct. I did not make any claims about how that figure was derived, and I did not contradict an article I had cited.

You realize the 90,000 figure is not a current estimate, yes? When it was current, the US had fewer cases than that, Mr. Nitpick.
                      And now the US has many more cases than that, and 20,000 more every day. China isn't reporting any new cases, so I don't know what is really happening there. But figures for other countries suggest that the US is failing badly at containment.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Bother with details? You fail to know the history. The cuts in the Health agencies the reduced the ability to respond and the lack of leadership by Trump to proactively and aggressively respond to the pandemic. We have good examples in South Korea in Japan with adequate and good testing, and other proactive methods to reduce the effects of the pandemic. Even with the early problems with the tests, there was not an adequate response to come up with adequate testing until the past several weeks.

I guess you side with Trump that the pandemic is just like 'the common flu.'
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          Bother with details? You fail to know the history. The cuts in the Health agencies the reduced the ability to respond and the lack of leadership by Trump to proactively and aggressively respond to the pandemic. We have good examples in South Korea in Japan with adequate and good testing, and other proactive methods to reduce the effects of the pandemic. Even with the early problems with the tests, there was not an adequate response to come up with adequate testing until the past several weeks.

I guess you side with Trump that the pandemic is just like 'the common flu.'
                          Last time you claimed Trump said it was just like the common cold. Are you finally walking that back?

And aside from the fact that over 60,000 people died of the flu last year, the cuts were never enacted.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            You mean the irrelevant part where you wanted to talk about Trump's and Obama's overall golf habits instead of addressing the fact that Obama was out on the links while the bodies of swine flu victims were filling the morgues? Yeah, I cut that out.
                            As I said to Seer, the entire golfing issue is a sidetrack. But since you're so upset about Obama golfing during a pandemic, I guess you should show equal outrage at this.

But, of course, there will be a reason why you don't...
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

The earlier tests from China, you mean, which the U.S. never took and I can find no mention of them even being offered to the U.S. The German protocols, which were available three days before our first case and implemented by the WHO in their test kits, show no such negatives and have been successfully used throughout Europe. The U.S. also never took nor was ever apparently offered the WHO test kits. From the outset, the CDC set out to develop its own. The only other test kits that failed AFAICT were the initial kits from the CDC, which produced indeterminate results due to the use of a faulty reagent.

I realize that pushing the same disinformation out over and over again means some number of people reading it will accept it as true, thereby propagating the disinformation even further, but I would have thought that anyone with "Christian" clearly listed as their "faith" would have moral prohibitions against continually lying. I guess that is not true for all people claiming that allegiance.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                As I said to Seer, the entire golfing issue is a sidetrack. But since you're so upset about Obama golfing during a pandemic, I guess you should show equal outrage at this.

But, of course, there will be a reason why you don't...
                                It is not the golfing thing Carp, it is about your double standard. Trump says something stupid and he is the devil, Obama walked on water. There is little or nothing that Trump could have done different.
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment