Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Wow...I never expected you to admit that you and your clan do it...
    Lilpixie is the gift that keeps on giving to the likes of you and Roy: she's sloppy enough that you can always find something to nitpick and take things off on a tangent.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Liberal governors are ratcheting up the "Blame Trump!" narrative, saying they weren't prepared because Trump didn't tell them to be... or something. As Trump explained to Chuck Schumer in a recent letter, emergency preparedness is the responsibility of the individual states, and the federal government can only provide limited backup and support. Now liberals are claiming that "everybody" saw this coming, so it begs the question, why didn't those governors, first of all, have the supplies on hand to deal with a pandemic that the "experts" have supposedly been predicting for years, and secondly, why didn't they act immediately to protect their own citizens? If Trump didn't act early enough, then neither did they. Whatever blame they wish to heap on the President, they are every bit as culpable.
      To varying degrees - everyone fell down on the job...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Liberal governors are ratcheting up the "Blame Trump!" narrative, saying they weren't prepared because Trump didn't tell them to be... or something. As Trump explained to Chuck Schumer in a recent letter, emergency preparedness is the responsibility of the individual states, and the federal government can only provide limited backup and support. Now liberals are claiming that "everybody" saw this coming, so it begs the question, why didn't those governors, first of all, have the supplies on hand to deal with a pandemic that the "experts" have supposedly been predicting for years, and secondly, why didn't they act immediately to protect their own citizens? If Trump didn't act early enough, then neither did they. Whatever blame they wish to heap on the President, they are every bit as culpable.
        Sounds like the excuses Bush made for the failure to respond to the hurricane Katrina. The failure of leadership is the issue, and of course taking responsibility, which Trump refuses to do.

Remember Trump said that, "He is in control."
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Wow...I never expected you to admit that you and your clan do it...
          It’s too precious to watch the king of hand waves, strawman, and tangents complain. Don’t ever change.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Well...not a great comparison. WWII was with an external foe to the nation as a whole. Outward: we function as a nation. Inward, we function as 50 states. I know that is an over simplification (e.g., states can make international trade deals), but it's close enough for...ummm.. government work!

I think a better comparison would be the Great Depression and the Great Recession as well as the previous pandemics. The role of the governors is to oversee their states. The role of the fed is to help manage interstate and multistate issues, and to provide support to states. A pandemic is, by definition, an interstate/multistate issue. If Trump does not feel good calling for shelter in place, then he could (and should) restrict interstate travel to/from those states that are not taking the pandemic seriously. Of course, he won't. Those states are his states and such an act would alienate his base. So better to sacrifice some lives than risk losing in November.
            Ummm, why does every state need to act just like New York, where 1/3rd of cases currently are at?
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Well...not a great comparison. WWII was with an external foe to the nation as a whole. Outward: we function as a nation. Inward, we function as 50 states. I know that is an over simplification (e.g., states can make international trade deals), but it's close enough for...ummm.. government work!

I think a better comparison would be the Great Depression and the Great Recession as well as the previous pandemics. The role of the governors is to oversee their states. The role of the fed is to help manage interstate and multistate issues, and to provide support to states. A pandemic is, by definition, an interstate/multistate issue. If Trump does not feel good calling for shelter in place, then he could (and should) restrict interstate travel to/from those states that are not taking the pandemic seriously. Of course, he won't. Those states are his states and such an act would alienate his base. So better to sacrifice some lives than risk losing in November.
              Agree with your point in regard to Trump's action and his motivation. However, it's a national crisis - the virus doesn't respect boundaries. So it's counter-productive if one governor's action nullifies the action of the neighboring state. This is not about constitutional rights or state's rights. The President has enough power to institute a national response to this national crisis, whether the foe is exterior or interior. It's a question of leadership, which Trump sorely doesn't have.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                Agree with your point in regard to Trump's action and his motivation. However, it's a national crisis - the virus doesn't respect boundaries. So it's counter-productive if one governor's action nullifies the action of the neighboring state. This is not about constitutional rights or state's rights. The President has enough power to institute a national response to this national crisis, whether the foe is exterior or interior. It's a question of leadership, which Trump sorely doesn't have.
                States are not all the same. A place where cows outnumber people doesn’t need to worry about social distancing the way a crowded city does.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Sounds like the excuses Bush made for the failure to respond to the hurricane Katrina. The failure of leadership is the issue, and of course taking responsibility, which Trump refuses to do.

Remember Trump said that, "He is in control."
                  Trump is in control of the federal response, and he's done a good job as far that is concerned. What individual states do is up to their own governments. If they failed to prepare under the mistaken belief the federal government would necessarily have the resources to bail them out then that's their fault, not the President's. Seems a lot of people in this country are suddenly getting a crash course in civics about stuff they should have learned in high school.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Trump is in control of the federal response, and he's done a good job as far that is concerned. What individual states do is up to their own governments. If they failed to prepare under the mistaken belief the federal government would necessarily have the resources to bail them out then that's their fault, not the President's. Seems a lot of people in this country are suddenly getting a crash course in civics about stuff they should have learned in high school.
                    Liberals: “Trump is a wannabe dictator!”

Also Liberals: “Trump needs to take unilateral, unconstitutional, action right now!”

GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      States are not all the same. A place where cows outnumber people doesn’t need to worry about social distancing the way a crowded city does.
                      I think liberals got used to Obama's (and to a lesser extent Bush's) way of doing things and still aren't sure how respond to a president who actually respects the Constitutional limits of his office.

Comment

I think liberals got used to Obama's way of doing things and still aren't sure how respond to a president who actually respects the Constitution limits of his office.
                        Even if we ignore that, it doesn’t make sense. Why does nowhere, USA with a population of 500, with no outbreaks in 100 miles need to act like NYC, with North of 100,000 cases and climbing? It doesn’t make the least bit of sense.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          Even if we ignore that, it doesn’t make sense. Why does nowhere, USA with a population of 500, with no outbreaks in 100 miles need to act like NYC, with North of 100,000 cases and climbing? It doesn’t make the least bit of sense.
                          Pro-statist authoritarians are gonna authoritate.

Comment

So you think he should starve out those that don't comply?

No that's not acting like a dictator at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              he could (and should) restrict interstate travel to/from those states that are not taking the pandemic seriously.

So you think he should starve out those that don't comply?

No that's not acting like a dictator at all.
                              Wow, that is nutty! It was only recently that liberals wanted to crucify Trump merely for saying he wouldn't speak personally with governors who were critical of his administration. And now carpe wants him to enforce a full-on lockdown of individual states? It's like watching a flag change direction in a shifting breeze. You can never predict which way it's going to turn next.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Lilpixie is the gift that keeps on giving to the likes of you and Roy: she's sloppy enough that you can always find something to nitpick and take things off on a tangent.
                                Pix, OBP, is the queen of tangents. Despite your characterizations, I make every effort in my discussions with her to avoid the sidebars and tangents and stay focused on the original discussion. But I almost inevitably find myself spun off in a dozen directions until I no longer even remember what started the discussion. I've gotten better at jumping out of the discussion earlier, but now I'm pretty much of the mind that further discussion with her, MM, Demi, and Darth is pointless. All of them are so deeply buried in their conspiracy theories and trolling that it makes discussion useless. Rogue, Sparko, and Sean are pretty close to the same bar. Seer I hate to give up on. I met him face to face and actually liked him. But his inability to manage simple rational connections and his tendency to drift into personal attacks when he cannot logically respond is getting tedious. But all of them practice (here) a form of toxic Christianity I find somewhat revolting.

Frankly, this forum tends to bring out my darker side. Much as I promise myself to keep that under wraps...I cave and start responding in kind. Then I hate myself for it, recognizing it for the failing in me that it is. I left twice because of that exact dynamic. I returned at the first sign of the pandemic to see how it was being responded to by those on the right. I have my answer. I'll probably shove off again soon.
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment