Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
    It took six months for the world to reach 10 million confirmed cases of COVID-19. It took just over six weeks for that number to double to 20 millions. And we haven't seen the second phase yet.
    Hopefully we will have a vaccine before that happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Hopefully we will have a vaccine before that happens.
      Russia is claiming to have developed one. Putin says his daughter has taken it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        The bypassed phase 3 trials to get it out the door before anyone else. It's a crap shoot as to how good it is or how safe it is at this point.

Of course, Trump announcing a vaccine by the November election sounds like he might have had an inside scoop.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Over1,400 fatalities yesterday in the USA
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Over1,400 fatalities yesterday in the USA
            Indeed, a double spike it seems. And a leveling off in the declinevin new cases too. As we have seen all along, trump keeps pushing for things that will increase the spread. In this case it is the full reopening of schools when we just are not ready. And it is pushing case counts back up as we are seeing. (Though I am not saying the stall in the decline is necessarily only the push to reopen fully)

In this case, getting kids back in school is a legitimate concern. But Trump and his allies continue to ignore reality as they approach the problem. Kids get sick. Kids spread it to adults who get sick. Kids without masks spread it just as easily as adults without masks. Schools are closed in, often overcrowded places, especially during class changes. We have to heed what the virus is, this is not a game, wishful thinking will not make it better, positive thinking that ignores the medical science will be a disaster.

But we most certainly must find ways to continue the education of our children.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-13-2020, 07:58 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Over1,400 fatalities yesterday in the USA
              Where specifically?
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Where specifically?
                Texas, California, Florida, Arizona, and Georgia are the bulk of it with 850 deaths, all over 100 each, Texas and Florida over 200 each. The next highest is Louisiana with 48.

Comment

Where specifically?
                  In the USA.OXi beat me to the state statistics.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-13-2020, 06:26 PM.
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Where specifically?
                    Over 1,300 deaths for the past two days in the USA.

Frank

Comment

Where specifically?
                      Over 200 covid deaths per day in Florida for the last 3 weeks.

Comment

• Another day of over a 1,000 fatalities for both the USA and Brazil. The highest fatality rate due to COVID-19 in the world.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-21-2020, 06:41 AM.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          I would interpret that as semantics. Though I understand the offense that would go along with being mocked. IOW, there is the mortality we can measure, which is known covid deaths/known covid cases, and then there is the actual mortality, which is (known covid deaths + undetected covid deaths) / (known covid cases+ undetected covid cases)*.

Testing can affect the former, but not the latter. The more testing that is done however, the smaller the difference will be between the two.

The problem is that there is a message being pushed out that actual corona virus cases are a consequence of testing, which is absurd.

*I recognize my two formula are somewhat simplified
                          I avoid arguing numbers of cases in terms of known tested cases considering testing bias (including racial bias) and the problem of the wide spread asymptomatic and mild infections. Local testing is effective in contact tracing local spread, for assisting in the control of the spread. To reduce the fog index and attempts to confuse the actual impact of the pandemic by juggling the statistics I consider fatality rates due to COVID-19 to be better documented. I go right for the actual history of the fatality statistics of COVID-19, which is a better argument when dealing with the likes of Sparko that try to juggle the statistics to justify their agenda. It is well determined simply by facts to easily separate the rate of fatalities from other diseases and causes from the fatalities due to COVID-19. It is also well documented that fatalities due to COVID=19 are under reported in some cases by 100% or more as in China, Brazil and Russia. Therefore the fatality rate in the world is much higher than the present count. The count of COVIS-19 is reasonably accurate in the USA. In the USA there is some undercount early in the pandemic, because of the confusion in the cause of death of victims not tested.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Claim?

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                              It took six months for the world to reach 10 million confirmed cases of COVID-19. It took just over six weeks for that number to double to 20 millions. And we haven't seen the second phase yet.
                              I believe we have reached the second phase based on the late surge observed in most countries, but their may be a third surge as is occuring or occured in China.

I do believe we are in a slow grueling decline, but this appears to be a genetically intelligent, and aggressive opportunistic virus, and it is in control, and no vaccines yet. This is not the 'intelligence' we would equate to higher forms of life based on a complex brain and nervous system. The presence of wide spread asymptomatic and mild infections the virus apparently migrates to uneffected populations, and remains relatively viralant, but there are indications that is less fatal and less severe..
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-23-2020, 04:01 PM.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Time to stop air travel to the US?
                                Time to stop travel from the USA with the highest fatality rate and case ratin the world.

Eatalities in the USA pass 180,000
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-26-2020, 05:45 PM.

Frank

Comment