Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    1!=1x0!
    I know that’s what you meant.
    I heard a great explanation of this once. You get to the next factorial by multiplying by the next number in the series. That is what LM's n! = n(n-1)! means.

1! = 1
    2! = 1!*2 = 1*2 = 2
    3! = 2!*3 = 2*3 = 6
    4! = 3!*4 = 6*4 = 24
    5! = 4!*5 = 24*5 = 120
    6! = 5!*6 = 120*6 = 720

It thus follows that you get to the previous factorial by a division process, so n! = (n+1)! / (n+1)

5! = 6!/6 = 720/6 = 120
    4! = 5!/5 = 120/5 = 24
    3! = 4!/4 = 24/4 = 6
    2! = 3!/3 = 6/3 = 2
    1! = 2!/2 = 2/2 = 1

ergo...

0! = 1!/1 = 1/1 = 1

The same argument works for n0 = 1

Cool!
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      1!=1x0!
      I know that’s what you meant.
      LM likes to insert extra zeroes to keep us on our toes... ...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        I don't want to hear how Trump did not take this seriously early on (Pelosi From Jan 22, on Jan 31 Trump started to ban flights from China)...

Nancy Pelosi visits San Francisco’s Chinatown to encourage people amid fears of coronavirus

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was in San Francisco on Monday spending several hours visiting Chinatown to encourage people to visit the shops and restaurants there amid fears of the coronavirus.

Business in Chinatown has really slowed down over the last month, mainly due to concerns about the coronavirus.

Pelosi did a walking tour of the area starting in the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Shop.

She also visited several other businesses and talked to people.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...VQtMfuACaq69DE

This occurred on February 24. I have no idea if Pelosi is made aware of the content of the U.S. intelligence briefs or would have access to analogous information. If she did, then this is pretty much unforgiveable. Trump, who we know DID have access to those briefing AND the feedback of his task force and medical leaders, was still down playing things almost a month later - March 16th. Nunes urged people to go out on March 15th. Pence was defending shaking hands on March 12.

All of them made serious mistakes and downplayed the virus. But the GOP denial from top leadership was significantly more protracted. There's still some here who lean strongly right and are regularly questioning the seriousness of the situation. Gates just posted an oped about three common-sense priorities to get past this epidemic. Hopefully, it will be reviewed and add to the urgency around dealing with isolation, testing, and setting the stage for vaccine production.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          LM likes to insert extra zeroes to keep us on our toes... ...
          Yep that's what I did with SHADOWMASTER - that was way before you join this forum. Way before this forum changed ownership, SM pretended he had a PhD in physics. Another member, Sea of Red asked me to join this form to test SM. Lo and behold, it turned out SM was just a technician at some electronic or so firm.

Some oldies on this forum might remember that episode.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
            Yep that's what I did with SHADOWMASTER - that was way before you join this forum. Way before this forum changed ownership, SM pretended he had a PhD in physics. Another member, Sea of Red asked me to join this form to test SM. Lo and behold, it turned out SM was just a technician at some electronic or so firm.

Some oldies on this forum might remember that episode.
            I remember the name, but I don't remember the discussions.

My PhD is in napping and watering my plants.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              And you know this how?
              google it yourself. I already posted the sources elsewhere. Ask Carp.

Comment

I remember the name, but I don't remember the discussions.

My PhD is in napping and watering my plants.
                Some oldies actually knew Shadowmaster's name and that he owned the company and did have a Ph.D.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ok, let's compare to Canada. They have 8.5K cases as of today. At 9 times their population, the US should have 76K. Instead there are 180K, more than double... failed leadership it is.
                  what? That is stupid. Canadians are much more spread out than the population in the US. And China is much more packed together than we are. Most of the US's cases are centered in high density cities like New York.

There is no way China was reporting true numbers and then they suddenly stopped.

Comment

The death rate for the flu stands at .01%. As far as the coronavirus, since it is new disease, the data is incomplete, but as of now its rate is at 2.3%.
                    flu is at .1% not .01% (.01 is .1%) And corona was at 1% and falling. I think the current estimates are at .6%

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      flu is at .1% not .01% (.01 is .1%) And corona was at 1% and falling. I think the current estimates are at .6%
                      Currently there are 203,608 cumulative cases in the USA and 4476 deaths. That works out to 0.2% mortality at this point in the USA. (of course that is with the mitigating techniques we are using)

World 911,308 cumulative cases, 45,497 deaths. 0.49% mortality.
                      Last edited by Sparko; 04-01-2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

This occurred on February 24. I have no idea if Pelosi is made aware of the content of the U.S. intelligence briefs or would have access to analogous information. If she did, then this is pretty much unforgiveable. Trump, who we know DID have access to those briefing AND the feedback of his task force and medical leaders, was still down playing things almost a month later - March 16th. Nunes urged people to go out on March 15th. Pence was defending shaking hands on March 12.

All of them made serious mistakes and downplayed the virus. But the GOP denial from top leadership was significantly more protracted. There's still some here who lean strongly right and are regularly questioning the seriousness of the situation. Gates just posted an oped about three common-sense priorities to get past this epidemic. Hopefully, it will be reviewed and add to the urgency around dealing with isolation, testing, and setting the stage for vaccine production.
                        I think it's more that folks are skeptical of the reactions to the virus -- the outright draconian measures and loony federal spending sprees being taken on a government level -- than the seriousness of the virus itself. Why should we listen to Gates? He's just a billionaire tech guy who got rich plagiarizing other people's ideas early on. Don't you guys on the left hate billionaires? What's significant about Gates; is he a scientist?

Comment

Well Trump was already banning flights for close to a month. And I doubt that Pelosi didn't have access to the same info. I don't think any one really knew to easily it was transmitted then.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Not falling sparko. Even Germany is now above 1% (1.14%) and they are doing a lot of testing. And they were one of the countries that stirred up some more the the 'maybe it's not so bad after all talk with a .25% a week or so ago.

That .6% number you heard was based on some statistical muddling that may or may not be valid. Iceland has some numbers that might push it down a bit though, and that is that their testing is seeing somewhere near 50% asymptomatic (but that doesn't mean they don't eventually get sick, not does it account for false positives).

The best numbers we have right now show 1%+, no less.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Currently there are 203,608 cumulative cases in the USA and 4476 deaths. That works out to 0.2% mortality at this point in the USA. (of course that is with the mitigating techniques we are using)

Now you have your decimal point off by one. 45,497/911,308 = .04992 = 4.99% (5%)

As I said, the best situations are between 1 and 2%. The worst are above 10% (Italy)
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

This alone concludes Fauci's estimates nearly impossible.
                                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment